Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Att stay at home moms who work part time

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 2:31 pm
How do you do it? I’m so busy with my baby and housework all day long. I would like to figure out how I can work from home and take care of my baby at the same time but I just can’t see how I can do both!
Any ideas?

happy chick

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 2:35 pm
There is no trick. It's a big juggle. Life is full of many balls, some are rubber and some are glass. The trick is knowing which is which so you know which can be dropped and which ones cant.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 2:44 pm
I work full time with my seven month old at home. I switch him from his playmat to the bouncer to the swing until it’s nap time or feeding time.

Once he starts crawling, I plan to get a little gate and put him in it with toys while I work. Something like this - https://a.co/d/45TnpFz

It’s very hard. My mental health suffers. I cannot afford a babysitter so it is what it is.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 2:45 pm
I work part time from home and was a really challenge until I sent my baby out. He was demanding too much attention and wasn’t fair to him or my boss.

amother
Garnet

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 4:11 pm
I've done it with two of my kids till age 2/2.5 when I sent to playgroup

It only worked bec it was part time - about 18/20hrs a week and the timing was flexible.
Till they where a few months old I would just work around them - when they naped or were happy in the swing.....once they had a set schedule/nap I would work during their two hours nap, and then 2 hrs at night after they went to sleep.
I was very careful to really keep on top of working during nap time and nighttime so the hours of work needed didn't pile up. Like if I was out shopping, I'd make sure to be home in time for nap time to work (almost as if I'd be going out to an office job and needed to be on time) and try to make sure the baby waited till his nap time to fall asleep so I'd get the full time ...

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 4:15 pm
I work about 10 hours a week very flexible with my 1yo home. I cook/clean/errands while he’s up and work during nap time or after bedtime. It’s definitely hard feeling like I don’t have a minute to breath

amother
Butterscotch

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 4:15 pm
How part time? 10-15 hours a week , I did it around bedtime and naps. My house was a mess unless I had a cleaning lady. Which was infrequent because of the money. More hours than that wouldn’t be possible for me.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 4:22 pm
Factors that matter-

- Whether your hours are set or not.
- If you need to do phone/Zoom work and need quiet, and/or set times for the calls.
- Your baby's temperament and whether there is a set nap and bedtime
- Your temperament
- If your dh can give you any coverage in the evenings or any other time

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 4:25 pm
The only way it works for me is that I also have part time childcare. I’m not giving my job or my child the attention they deserve if I’m trying to do both simultaneously.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 4:45 pm
I can't understand how people do it. I've done it once or twice when babysitter cancelled and it's literally painful.
I feel torn in two.
I can't concentrate fully at work, don't accomplish productively and get stressed out that I have too much work left.

And I feel like a rotten mother, ignoring my baby, being distracted and irritated because he's not letting me work.
And also feeling guilty because I'm not giving him attention. He's sitting in his doona next to me at the computer (he's already been on his playmat) and gives me a huge smile every time I look at him, but then I have to look back at the computer.....
I'm a bad mommy and bad employee.
Really hard. I pity those who don't have a choice.

amother
Lightpink

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 4:50 pm
Never worked from home with a baby. However, I brought all my kids to work with me until they were about a year old. It was very easy when they were newborns. Once they started getting around it got hard and I started looking for a babysitter.

amother
Broom

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 5:12 pm
I work very few hours. Sunday morning and 1-2 evenings a week. I don’t work from home.

amother
PlumPink

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 5:16 pm
Quote:
How part time? 10-15 hours a week , I did it around bedtime and naps. My house was a mess unless I had a cleaning lady. Which was infrequent because of the money. More hours than that wouldn’t be possible for me.

This is exactly my situation. My house is usually flying
I worked with my DD home until she was 2 and went to playgroup. Now have a 2 month old and hope to do the same be"h

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 5:16 pm
I do it. I work about 4 hours a day.
I like to keep my nursing babies home with me, and also babysitting is so expensive and it would eat up much of my salary. I wouldn’t have that many more hours to work if baby wasn’t home. The work would be easier to get done, yes. But I wouldn’t earn significantly more to make it worth it. Babysitting would probably eat a quarter of my paycheck.

jd1212

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 5:18 pm
amother Lilac wrote:
I can't understand how people do it. I've done it once or twice when babysitter cancelled and it's literally painful.
I feel torn in two.
I can't concentrate fully at work, don't accomplish productively and get stressed out that I have too much work left.

And I feel like a rotten mother, ignoring my baby, being distracted and irritated because he's not letting me work.
And also feeling guilty because I'm not giving him attention. He's sitting in his doona next to me at the computer (he's already been on his playmat) and gives me a huge smile every time I look at him, but then I have to look back at the computer.....

Omg at least take him out of the Doona!! Why is he in a carseat at home? Bad for their bodies.

amother
Topaz

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 5:19 pm
Ha! Im sorry but you might need a lot of prayer. I work full time at home with a 2 year old and 9 month old. Its tough. That is all.

My mental health suffers also. In desperate need of a vacation but we cannot afford it.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 5:44 pm
amother Lilac wrote:
I feel torn in two.

Can you buy a cheap bouncer to put him in instead of the doona when you’re home with him? I feel like the doona is so uncomfortable.

Here’s one for $30 that looks really good:

https://a.co/d/f1FANTi

amother
Lightpink

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 5:48 pm
amother Brunette wrote:
Can you buy a cheap bouncer to put him in instead of the doona when you’re home with him? I feel like the doona is so uncomfortable.

Here’s one for $30 that looks really good:

https://a.co/d/f1FANTi

Some kids like the doona. Her baby may be one of them. As long as he isn't in it all day don't make op feel guilty. My 2 year old still naps in it at playgroup. (She is on the very small side and ttly fits in still)

TwinsMommy

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 7:17 pm
My twins are 16 now (they're my only children) but back when they were babies I worked at home for a number of hours a day. When they were up to 6 months or so, I worked during naptimes and after bedtime and worked some non phone stuff while they'd be playing with toys in my office. After that I hired a sitter to be in my home downstairs with them while I worked upstairs for maybe three days a week part time. Whenever I had a moment I could come downstairs and read them a book or play with them for a few minutes and then go back upstairs. It was a juggle. Preschool was rough because for a while they were in two different programs so I had to drive back and forth a million times a day. Take one, pick that one up, take the other, pick that one up..... there was no preschool Mondays so for that time I TRIED to hire help only for Mondays------ nobody really wanted to work just Mondays so I had trouble hanging on to people. A lot of Mondays I had to cancel appointments because my sitter cancelled. Other days it was harder to have appointments because I was driving preschool carpool at 8:30, 11:30, 12:30 and 3:30. and in the morning and afternoon I had one twin home with me. When kindergarten hit and they were both in school a full day---- whew, that was a milestone. Smile

Hatzlacha, it's not easy!

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 7:33 am
I KNEW I was going to get comments on the doona! Thats why I wrote he was already on his playmat!

Newflash to everyone; some babies love the doona and the happiest in there. My colicky baby was only soothed in there. Yes, I understand that it is not good for them, and preferrably they should be on their stomachs.

Hence the entire point of my post; that its very difficult to be constantly busy with baby, switching baby's position, picking up, putting down,playing with baby, and also work constuctively. That's why the baby was in the doona that one day at home-because he was happy there, didn't cry, and I needed to work.

Hence why I would not work at home with a baby; baby would get subpar care, and I would go crazy being pulled in two. Got it?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics