Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Are you a hair dye chemist?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 3:20 am
I want to get a cheap wig and dye it ash blonde, maybe with roots. Old fashoin silk top.

My color is so hard to come by (and not too many people responded in my previous post about opening a blonde sheitel gemach)

So here are my questions to the professionals:

1 Should I get a dark wig and bleach it, or is it better to get a blonde to dye darker?

2 How can I do the least damage to the wig? (I saw someone using only toner(?) and not mix with bleach product) My sheitel macher did something that she said opens the shafts of the hair slowly to bleach it, so that it doesn't damage as much, she left it for about 12 hours. What was that?

3 What brand of colors are best? (can I use box dye, or do you cringe when I ask?)

4 How long would you think such a wig can last?

I am a complete novice in dying, and would like a wearable outcome.

Thank you for all your input and advice Smile

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 8:18 pm
you can't dye a dark wig blonde. they all say that.

puzzlepieces

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 9:54 pm
There's a reason your color is hard to find, blondes are hard to get right! I highly recommend hiring a professional and not attempting to do it yourself.
Additionally if buying a processed wig definitely start with a lighter color and dye darker rather than the other way around. All hair can be dyed darker, not all hair will lift lighter properly. And no - do not use box dye!!!

chanatron1000

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 9:58 pm
I'm not a hair dye chemist or a hair stylist or anything like that, but I think you can usually find one at the right depth and then tone it warmer or cooler.

amother
Pistachio

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 9:58 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
you can't dye a dark wig blonde. they all say that.

I’ve seen a lot of blonde wigs with darker “roots” (which is kind of odd because you’d think people wouldn’t davka want their roots to be showing but I guess they’re trying to look really natural?) and I assumed they actually died darker colored wigs blonde. Is that not the case?

chanatron1000

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 10:15 pm
Lightening dark hair is difficult and complicated. It usually requires multiple steps of lifting color and then toning to blonde from a yellow or orange color. It can easily turn out patchy or cause breakage.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 12:26 am
PLEASE do NOT attempt to lighten a sheitel on your own. I work as a hairstylist as a sideline (cutting/styling/coloring).

Trying to dye, worse yet, lighten a sheitel with amazing results --ESPECIALLY a cheap one-- is really a potential recipe for disaster. Yes, some will say they have done it successfully but I'm not gonna go there. If it worked for you, great. Not interested in being challenged on Ima for what I am saying either. I do this professionally and have formal training (schooling) and years of experience.

Decoloring someone's hair involves a lot of steps and formulation -- it also involves an understanding of what is called the laws of color. It has to be done in a particular manner and bleaching is a timing game. Too short a time and the hair won't lift enough or too long and you can fry the hair right off. Once the color is stripped, you need to assess the result and formulate for a toner (which is a low peroxide color concoction that is put on for a very short period of time).

A cheap sheital is probably a mixture of both real and synthetic hair. You simply cannot bleach (or even dye) synthetic hair...it will most likely melt from the bleach.

On top of this, even with a more expensive sheital, is the fact that the hair used for it often comes from several people. Everyone's hair will decolor at a particular rate. Imagine trying to decolor a wig made from a whole bunch (mixture) of people's hair??!! Good luck with that one.

Another factor is whether or not the hair is virgin (never dyed or processed) - it really is a complicated affair if it is to be done properly.

Look, you could maybe do an experiment with taking a very light blonde sheital and try coloring it darker in an inconspicuous area and see the result. Just remember - making hair darker is way easier than lightening it. Darkening hair still does involve color formulation though -- like mixing paint colors together.

Just some info to ponder before doing anything.

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 12:29 am
Another vote for only dying darker, not lighter.

And I do dye my wigs myself with a box dye when my sheitel gets too light.

But I have dark hair which is easier than blonde.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels