Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Help me make changes.. I’m gaining a lot of weight

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 11:00 pm
I’m short. I just turned 50. I needed to lose 10 pounds for years… suddenly I gained 3 pounds and then another 5 pounds just appeared. I don’t like how I look at all. My clothing is too tight. Because I’m short and chubby, it’s so hard to find things to wear. I’m always being somewhat careful with what I eat (until I’m not careful and just eat everything but that’s usually very temporary like for a day or two). I don’t do exercise. I know it’s important but I just hate exercising so much. Sometimes I force myself to walk… so hard when my car is sitting in my driveway… I’ll often park in a further spot in a parking lot so I get in an extra few steps. Instead of asking my kids to get something for me upstairs, I’ll go up myself. That’s probably the extent of my exercise.
I need to make changes, I think it has to start with food. Here’s what I eat every day. What am I doing wrong? I do not want to give up flour and sugar. I can definitely limit it but I’m not completely giving it up.

Morning-
Coffee with Splenda and almond milk
Whole Wheat Bread with a tsp of low fat peanut butter

Snack-
Greek yogurt with an apple
Sometimes a health cereal with almond milk

Lunch-
Tuna with light mayo
Sliced beets
Cereal bar
Or sometimes 2 scrambled eggs with melted cheese (reduced fat) and fat free cottage cheese

Supper-
Salmon (baked with light mayo, spices and lemon juice)
Grilled veggies
Sometimes a measured portion of whole wheat pasta- depending on how hungry I am.
Sometimes instead of salmon I’ll eat rice cakes and cheese with some fresh veggies

What am I doing wrong? How can I lose weight?
I’m desperate but don’t want to walk around starving…

I would do anything to lose 10-15 pounds by pesach…

amother
Eggshell

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 11:04 pm
Your diet sounds good!
If you have sudden weight gain maybe check your thyroid
And try exercise, take the stairs, every bit counts

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 11:18 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’m short. I just turned 50. I needed to lose 10 pounds for years… suddenly I gained 3 pounds and then another 5 pounds just appeared. I don’t like how I look at all. My clothing is too tight. Because I’m short and chubby, it’s so hard to find things to wear. I’m always being somewhat careful with what I eat (until I’m not careful and just eat everything but that’s usually very temporary like for a day or two). I don’t do exercise. I know it’s important but I just hate exercising so much. Sometimes I force myself to walk… so hard when my car is sitting in my driveway… I’ll often park in a further spot in a parking lot so I get in an extra few steps. Instead of asking my kids to get something for me upstairs, I’ll go up myself. That’s probably the extent of my exercise.
I need to make changes, I think it has to start with food. Here’s what I eat every day. What am I doing wrong? I do not want to give up flour and sugar. I can definitely limit it but I’m not completely giving it up.

Morning-
Coffee with Splenda and almond milk
Whole Wheat Bread with a tsp of low fat peanut butter

Snack-
Greek yogurt with an apple
Sometimes a health cereal with almond milk

Lunch-
Tuna with light mayo
Sliced beets
Cereal bar
Or sometimes 2 scrambled eggs with melted cheese (reduced fat) and fat free cottage cheese

Supper-
Salmon (baked with light mayo, spices and lemon juice)
Grilled veggies
Sometimes a measured portion of whole wheat pasta- depending on how hungry I am.
Sometimes instead of salmon I’ll eat rice cakes and cheese with some fresh veggies

What am I doing wrong? How can I lose weight?
I’m desperate but don’t want to walk around starving…

I would do anything to lose 10-15 pounds by pesach…

How about instead of forcing yourself to walk you find movement that you love?

amother
Amaranthus

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 12:05 am
Go for a physical. Just to make sure there is nothing else going on.
But I've had the same thing and I'm not quite 40. It sucks. It's hormonal and there doesn't seem to be all that much to do about it.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Feb 07 2023, 7:29 pm
the average menopause weight gain is 10 -15 lbs. the only way to combat that is to eat less and move more.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 07 2023, 7:47 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
the average menopause weight gain is 10 -15 lbs. the only way to combat that is to eat less and move more.

Nooo… what will I do??? I’m not at menopause yet..

amother
Eggshell

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 3:43 am
Not everyone gains at menopause...

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 4:36 am
I would work on liking exercise and not see it as a chore.

How can you start liking it more, how can that be the me-time in your day? listening to a shiur/music while walking? Having a set round everyday?
finding a nice five minute aerobic exercise video you can do at home? getting a freind/partner?
Going to frum workout once a week for chats with women?

etc....

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 8:16 pm
amother OP wrote:
Nooo… what will I do??? I’m not at menopause yet..

perimenopause can last 20 years believe it or not. you're almost 50? tht's perimenopause time.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 8:17 pm
amother Eggshell wrote:
Not everyone gains at menopause...

I said the AVERAGE weight gain. of course some gain more and others don't gain.

BrachaBatya

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 8:26 pm
More fruits and veggies! Add add add veggies to meals, and snack on fruits/veggies. Skip the mayo and cheese.

amother
Chestnut

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 9:04 pm
chocolate moose wrote:

This. I always had a small waist, no matter if I needed to lose 10-15 lbs. Well after menopause forget it, the weight came on and it’s really hard to lose. I think your metabolism slows down and hormones are all changed.

Eat much less, reduce or eliminate carbs (sorry), try intermittent fasting (helps me), walk 30 minutes few times a week minimum. It’s hard! But doable.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise