Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Suggest a random name
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 11 2023, 8:46 pm
I am due imyh in sivan time. Maybe shavuos time. I don't have any family to name after or that I want to name after.

shavuos girls names like Rus, Naomi, batsheva (dovids wife) are all too modern

What kind of classic random name would you give? Tanach preferred (cannot do sara, rivka, leah) - I'm not giving a Yiddish name if I don't have to.

It could be a boy too! (Can't do dovid) but it's girls names I'm more stumped on

amother
Clear

Post Sat, Feb 11 2023, 8:47 pm
Bracha
Devorah
Chana
Miriam

amother
DarkRed

Post Sat, Feb 11 2023, 8:54 pm
amother OP wrote:
I am due imyh in sivan time. Maybe shavuos time. I don't have any family to name after or that I want to name after.

What kind of classic random name would you give? Tanach preferred (cannot do sara, rivka, leah) - I'm not giving a Yiddish name if I don't have to.

It could be a boy too! (Can't do dovid) but it's girls names I'm more stumped on

No good suggestions, but just astonished that names from Tanach, which are not even uncommon, can be considered “too modern.”

Kiwi13

Post Sat, Feb 11 2023, 9:00 pm
Talya? Dew from Hashem. Don’t we decorate shuls with plants and stuff on Shavuos? I might be mixing things up, but this was was the first thing that popped into my head.

Kiwi13

Post Sat, Feb 11 2023, 9:03 pm
Also how can a name from Tanach be considered “modern?”

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Sat, Feb 11 2023, 9:03 pm
amother OP wrote:

I don’t have any suggestions for you but I’m Heimish and send to a Chassidish school and have a Batsheva Esther. We call her Shevy. How is that Modern?

schoolbus

Post Sat, Feb 11 2023, 9:06 pm
Esther
Yides
Shifra

amother
DarkCyan

Post Sat, Feb 11 2023, 9:08 pm
Batsheva is so far from modern. As are rus and Naomi.
Forget about the fact that they are all names from tanach, rebitzen kanievsky was batsheva and it’s so common in the yeshivish community that it’s getting boring (it’s a family name for us so we still name it)
I know many Russi’s ruti’s , and rus’s in the yeshivish community as well as Naomi’s and Numis.
No clue where you live but your talking about super common names in the most yeshivish and/or chareidi communities
Is Orpa better for you??

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 11 2023, 9:09 pm
amother DarkRed wrote:
No good suggestions, but just astonished that names from Tanach, which are not even uncommon, can be considered “too modern.”

They're not too modern as in not frum enough, I just don't like them because they've become popular in more modern communities. Naomi/ nomi or batsheva / bassheva becomes like an awkward pronunciation thing too.

amother
Pink

Post Sat, Feb 11 2023, 9:32 pm
amother OP wrote:

Shira
Tova
Bracha
Yehudis
Malka
Basya

Was trying to think of names meaning treasure.. but not coming up with classics... (Sima, sigal(it))

What about a different wife of David's? Michal, avigail

Udel/aidel (baal Shem tov's daughter)?

amother
Seashell

Post Sat, Feb 11 2023, 9:36 pm
"Random" girls name
Elisheva
Avigail
Adina
Adira
Tirtza
Gila
Yehudis
Chaya/le
Chava
Nechama
Aliza
Rina
Aviva (very appropriate for shavuos time!)
Hadassa
Malka
Liora
Yael
Noa
Odaya
Ahuva
Bina

newinbp

Post Sat, Feb 11 2023, 9:51 pm
Maybe look at the parsha around those weeks and see if anything strikes you, or think about wives of gadols your family connects with? Nothing about naming a baby is random in my opinion, I'm sure you'll come up with something:)

amother
Nasturtium

Post Sat, Feb 11 2023, 9:57 pm
Yisroel for the Baal Shem tov whose yartzeit is shavuos.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Sat, Feb 11 2023, 10:00 pm
Tzivia
Chana
Perel
Peri
Batya
Chaya
Chava
Penina
Also a vote for Aviva.
B'shaah Tovah!

amother
Yarrow

Post Sat, Feb 11 2023, 10:03 pm
Love the name aviva.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 11 2023, 10:06 pm
newinbp wrote:
Maybe look at the parsha around those weeks and see if anything strikes you, or think about wives of gadols your family connects with? Nothing about naming a baby is random in my opinion, I'm sure you'll come up with something:)

This is a great idea too!
Thanks for all suggestions. I have no idea what the gender is, I'll come back and check if it's indeed a girl LOL

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Sat, Feb 11 2023, 10:52 pm
Well in that case:
Aviv
Boaz
Yonah
Yehuda
Avishai
Chanan
Hillel
Meir

amother
Maple

Post Sat, Feb 11 2023, 11:01 pm
Lol I’ve never heard of Naomi, Batsheva or Rus being modern.
Such a strange way to think about them.
I know plenty of Naomi’s across the spectrum (one of my favorite names), only right wing Batshevas, and Rus/Ruthies mostly right wing only.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Sat, Feb 11 2023, 11:10 pm
Rus is a beautiful, traditional name

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sat, Feb 11 2023, 11:11 pm
amother OP wrote:
They're not too modern as in not frum enough, I just don't like them because they've become popular in more modern communities. Naomi/ nomi or batsheva / bassheva becomes like an awkward pronunciation thing too.

Can't Believe It tell me you're kidding
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names