Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Paying for Seminary year- financial aid, merit-based, grants

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 10 2023, 12:21 am
Hi,

Would those of you who had done this before help guide me, please?

Fasfa, MASA, need-based vs merit-based etc. Please, I am pretty clueless and would appreciate your help!

Where and how do I apply?

Also, once DD is B"H accepted, would the seminary consider giving us a break if we haven't applied for Fasfa yet?

amother
Nasturtium

Post Fri, Feb 10 2023, 12:39 am
I don't know how you do it by yourself, but I know that TTI has an Israel program where you can get these grants if you go through them for a degree during seminary.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 10 2023, 12:43 am
amother Nasturtium wrote:
I don't know how you do it by yourself, but I know that TTI has an Israel program where you can get these grants if you go through them for a degree during seminary.

I saw that somewhere but DD is applying through Touro since she already has credits with them through HS

amother
Nasturtium

Post Fri, Feb 10 2023, 12:44 am
amother OP wrote:
I saw that somewhere but DD is applying through Touro since she already has credits with them through HS

I think you can transfer those in, but check with TTI first

amother
Butterscotch

Post Fri, Feb 10 2023, 2:50 pm
Ask touro if they have a study abroad program.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sat, Feb 11 2023, 9:58 pm
You apply for financial aid online at fafsa.com. you have to complete a long application including your financial info from 2021 (you have the option to link your application to your irs account which makes things a little faster). You have to put in the names of the college your dd is planning to attend, which in your case will be touro (if you are not sure, you can put in tti now as a second option and decide later). This is a general fafsa application for financial aid, regardless of where your dd will spend the year, as a regular touro student or in an israeli sem affiliated with touro. Once your application is approved, you will receive an email with the amount your dd is eligible for.
The seminary may give you a tuition break regardless of your fafsa application.
For masa, not all seminary accept it. If they do, they will give you a link to apply, but it does not need to be done before you receive the seminary acceptance.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Sat, Feb 11 2023, 10:53 pm
amother Chocolate wrote:
You apply for financial aid online at fafsa.com. you have to complete a long application including your financial info from 2021 (you have the option to link your application to your irs account which makes things a little faster). You have to put in the names of the college your dd is planning to attend, which in your case will be touro (if you are not sure, you can put in tti now as a second option and decide later). This is a general fafsa application for financial aid, regardless of where your dd will spend the year, as a regular touro student or in an israeli sem affiliated with touro. Once your application is approved, you will receive an email with the amount your dd is eligible for.
For masa, not all seminary accept it. If they do, they will give you a link to apply, but it does not need to be done before you receive the seminary acceptance.

TTI isn't a college. They go through a college for the Israel program. I'm not sure which one.

amother
DarkRed

Post Sat, Feb 11 2023, 11:23 pm
amother Butterscotch wrote:
Ask touro if they have a study abroad program.

Yes, they do. Need to make sure the specific seminary participates in it

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 12 2023, 12:20 am
amother Chocolate wrote:

Thank you. So is it OK to ask the Seminary for a break before applying for government aid? Or do I have to apply for FAFSA first?

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Feb 12 2023, 12:27 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you. So is it OK to ask the Seminary for a break before applying for government aid? Or do I have to apply for FAFSA first?

Mine have told me to apply and see what I'm eligible for, before they'll do much discounting. Your best off going through the application now before acceptances come to see how much/if you're eligible. We were not eligible.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Feb 12 2023, 5:52 am
amother OP wrote:

They might ask you to apply for fafsa firsr.

I dont think it hurts you to apply in advance and see how much/ if you're eligible for from fafsa. Many people do not get anything. Especially with small family sizes.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Feb 12 2023, 5:53 am
(Sorry for my two similar posts. I thought the one I wrote last night had not gone tbrough)

amother
Lemonlime

Post Sun, Feb 12 2023, 6:49 am
Depending on where you live there may be local organizations/federations that encourage girls going to learn in Israel and provide scholarships. I got about $2,000 from something like that, $6,000 pell grant and some from MASA as well (forgot amount) my seminary also gave my parents a couple thousand off so at the end of the day they paid around $10,000 for my sem year.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics