Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Tough love

yo'ma

Post Fri, Jun 20 2008, 10:06 am
Do you discipline your children with tough love? (does that make sense?)
Define it however you wish.

I'm a firm believer in tough love. We were brought up like that and that's how I am with my children. At the same time, though, I try to be fun (when the mood allows Confused ). I think children listen so much better that way and they don't walk all over you. I know it doesn't work all the time. I say, I'm strict, but fair.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 20 2008, 11:20 am
what do you mean by tough love? that you love your kids without letting them step on you... most parents try not to let their kids step on them...but why does that have to be defined as tough?

flowerpower

Post Fri, Jun 20 2008, 11:26 am
Tough love-ds wants a slush pop for breakfast. I tell him that he needs to eat something healthy first. I give him three options to choose from. He says he wants a slush NOW. I did not give in. He cried for 60 minutes and until his bus came. That is tough love.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 20 2008, 11:32 am
okay so I would also force my son to eat something normal first, usually he would and then I would probably give him what he wants, is that tough too?

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jun 20 2008, 11:40 am
Strict but fair... I planned to be like this, but I have a very hard time being strict... she's so cute LOL

flowerpower

Post Fri, Jun 20 2008, 11:45 am
amother wrote:
okay so I would also force my son to eat something normal first, usually he would and then I would probably give him what he wants, is that tough too?

That's called normal discipline. But if you have a toughy who fights you for everything then everything becomes tough love. If you have a kid screaming on your head for an hour, you just want to give in because it's easier. It's only a little thing but at the end a ton of little things equal to a very big thing so you don't give in and every minute of the day is tough love.

Why are you anonymous? Are you embarrased that you are discpiling your child like you should?

yo'ma

Post Fri, Jun 20 2008, 12:10 pm
Thank you flowerpower for explaining it better.

amother, I wrote, Define it however you wish.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Jun 20 2008, 12:34 pm
also, in my case, here's an example:
me: here's 3 cookies Smile
child: I want 4 Sad
me: okay, here's 2

No argument, what I say goes. LOL
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics