Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
S/O missing fashion trends teen edition

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 13 2023, 8:26 am
I was following the "I keep missing fashion trends" thread with interest. I live Midwest OOT but in a place where somehow "everyone" knows what to wear but me. I am always a season or two (or three) behind, which honestly for myself I am OK with.
On Shabbos, my DD16 was lamenting the fact that she is always off a bit in camp. She goes to a camp that is probably 50% Lakewood and 50% "other". Her examples were shoes and skirts. She had adidas last year because that is what the girls had the year before, but "everyone" had pumas. She had mostly tiered black skirts and one denim, "everyone" had a lot of denim and a few black. She likes to be with it and cute, but does not need name brands when that means overpriced clothing.

Her question, and I guess my question to you, is: How does everyone know????? Is there a secret club that tells everyone that this year we are wearing pumas and denim?

And the follow up question: What will be the in thing this year in camp for weekday shoes, skirts, etc. and shabbos clothing????

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Feb 13 2023, 8:41 am
I generally just shop in the Jewish stores and buy whatever we like. So that tends to be what’s in for frum teens.

Eta: my daughter had vejas and adidas for camp last summer and mostly wore her adidas 🤷‍♀️

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 13 2023, 11:17 am
I guess shopping in the frum stores helps for clothing - but not totally because there are many options but they are not all THE thing.
And what about weekday shoes...how, oh how, do you know?

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Feb 13 2023, 12:07 pm
following!

amother
Lotus

Post Mon, Feb 13 2023, 2:37 pm
You will be pretty safe by shopping from point collection, dress blank, fame on central, fallons, emme by Michal, shop sheek, byrd, third by c, udel, hard tail. Shoes for Shabbos a. soliani is huge for the teens. Weekday usually veja type shoes. But now clunky chunky is in so maybe more grandpa type this yr. - not sure

DrMom

Post Mon, Feb 13 2023, 2:38 pm
Is it really a big deal for a girl to wear the virtually identical style of shoes but from a different manufacturer? Because that's what this Adidas/Puma thing sounds like to me.

And the skirt thing is basically the ratio of denim vs black skirts?

Maybe it's not worth the mental energy she is expending.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Mon, Feb 13 2023, 3:30 pm
DrMom wrote:
Is it really a big deal for a girl to wear the virtually identical style of shoes but from a different manufacturer? Because that's what this Adidas/Puma thing sounds like to me.

And the skirt thing is basically the ratio of denim vs black skirts?

Maybe it's not worth the mental energy she is expending.

Unfortunately, the brands do matter. If you're in a place where they don't, great. If you're in a place where they do, which is a lot of places including OOT, for a teen to not go along is very very difficult if that's not their inherent personality. The ratio thing is harder, and many girls deal by bringing mire than they need.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics