Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Getting into Monsey boys schools
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 13 2023, 4:09 pm
Can anybody recommend, how to get into Monsey boys schools. Seems impossible, beyond impossible. Been trying for 4 months. Only got the run around etc. Seems some schools really want people to come begging.

Any advice is appreciated

amother
Carnation

Post Mon, Feb 13 2023, 4:19 pm
Some schools are harder than others. Which have you tried? What age is your son?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 13 2023, 4:23 pm
amother Carnation wrote:
Some schools are harder than others. Which have you tried? What age is your son?

He's going into Pre1A next year. Right now he does not have a school, not gor this year or next!?
Tried:
Cheder, Cheder 2, Degel, Bais Mikrah, Rabbi Halpern.

amother
Darkblue

Post Mon, Feb 13 2023, 4:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
He's going into Pre1A next year. Right now he does not have a school, not gor this year or next!?
Tried:
Cheder, Cheder 2, Degel, Bais Mikrah, Rabbi Halpern.

Oy OP I really feel for you. It’s terrible how hard it became to get into school. I think for now forget about the 2 Cheders because those are literally impossible to get into. Try pushing the other ones. Isn’t Halperns school new? They should still have room

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 13 2023, 4:54 pm
amother Darkblue wrote:
Oy OP I really feel for you. It’s terrible how hard it became to get into school. I think for now forget about the 2 Cheders because those are literally impossible to get into. Try pushing the other ones. Isn’t Halperns school new? They should still have room

Rabbi Halperin is full for Kindergarten, he doesn't want to have big class sizes

amother
Jasmine

Post Mon, Feb 13 2023, 5:00 pm
BTDT… even begging didn’t help. And this was 13 yrs ago . This is nothing new in Monsey.
Are you willing to go a little more left like to Ohr Reuven or YSV? Would the possibly have space?
I have kids in Degel Mesivta. They were the only yeshiva that gave me an easy time getting in. But that’s highschool and it’s different, even if run by the same people . I’m assuming it’s a space issue ?

amother
Darkblue

Post Mon, Feb 13 2023, 5:08 pm
Ohr reuven and YSV are also impossible to get into, especially since OPs kid is already kindergarten age

amother
Jasmine

Post Mon, Feb 13 2023, 5:13 pm
Would any of the schools be willing to accept him for next year kindergarten even if he’s Pre 1 A age? And then in future years if they feel he’s too advanced they may push him up a grade. Would you or the schools consider that ,

amother
Carnation

Post Mon, Feb 13 2023, 5:34 pm
I would push bais mikroh or degel. My son is in bais mikroh.
The cheders are impossible. R' Halpern is new and filled up fast.
Our reuvain is hard to get into also.

amother
Darkblue

Post Mon, Feb 13 2023, 6:08 pm
There’s another new one, yeshiva derech Hatorah by Rabbi skaist. They for sure have room. But I think it’s more to the left

yachnabobba

Post Mon, Feb 13 2023, 7:54 pm
I have a kid in YSV girls it’s by far the most impressive school I’ve been associated with. The boys school is similarly professional and well run. Hatzlacha. Getting my kids into school was harder than marrying them off - by far

amother
Celeste

Post Mon, Feb 13 2023, 7:58 pm
amother OP wrote:
Can anybody recommend, how to get into Monsey boys schools. Seems impossible, beyond impossible. Been trying for 4 months. Only got the run around etc. Seems some schools really want people to come begging.

Any advice is appreciated

Can your Rav help you or do you have any connections at all to any of the schools?

amother
Celeste

Post Mon, Feb 13 2023, 8:13 pm
People don't realize that Monsey is so much worse than Lakewood... There is no vaad to help us. If you don't get in, you're stuck.
I am so sorry OP Crying

amother
DarkOrange

Post Mon, Feb 13 2023, 8:15 pm
amother Celeste wrote:
People don't realize that Monsey is so much worse than Lakewood... There is no vaad to help us. If you don't get in, you're stuck.
I am so sorry OP Crying

That’s it. I’m bn never moving to Monsey. Lakewood is traumatizing enough for my out of town self.

wabcs

Post Mon, Feb 13 2023, 8:17 pm
Ysv boys opened another class. Maybe there is room now

amother
Celeste

Post Mon, Feb 13 2023, 8:19 pm
amother DarkOrange wrote:
That’s it. I’m bn never moving to Monsey. Lakewood is traumatizing enough for my out of town self.

Honestly, if they open 2 more yeshivish/right-wing schools for boys and girls, it would greatly help the issue. They just opened one of each last year and I think it definitely helped (note that rabbi Halperns school is already full) and I think Rabbi Eisgraus girl school has 2 classes already...

amother
Grape

Post Mon, Feb 13 2023, 9:10 pm
Is Monsey really so much worse than Lakewood? We don't have legions of high school girls not knowing if they're accepted anywhere until September, like Lakewood does.

amother
Celeste

Post Mon, Feb 13 2023, 9:15 pm
amother Grape wrote:
Is Monsey really so much worse than Lakewood? We don't have legions of high school girls not knowing if they're accepted anywhere until September, like Lakewood does.

As you see from OP, she couldn't even get her kid into kindergarten and I'm sure shes not the only one...

ETA: Monsey is rapidly expanding, people don't realize that. It may not be as large as Lakewood, but the infrastructure definitely can't handle it.

amother
Carnation

Post Mon, Feb 13 2023, 9:22 pm
amother Grape wrote:

Personally I don't think it's as bad. I think the problem in monsey is we don't have rabanim who help. And its a pretty big problem. However almost everyone I know has their kids in a school even if it was hard to get in.
I do think we need more schools and bh some more opened this year. I think op needs to speak to her rav and push to get her son in somewhere.

Also, by the way I know plenty of people did not get their children and for kindergarten but they did have a slot for pre 1a. The schools take less for kindergarten because of upk. They have more slots for pre 1a.
She should definitely try to get a slot for him for next year. I know a lot of ppl who sent to chofetz Chaim preschool or other kindergartens on houses.

amother
Jasmine

Post Mon, Feb 13 2023, 9:22 pm
Monsey always had this issue with Chasidish schools and now they are also having it with the other schools. It’s a massive issue. My rav said the schools don’t listen to Rabbanim who call. He’s had negative experiences whenever he tried (he told us this over 10 yrs ago) .
There used to be an askan Rabbi Chill who worked on getting kids into school. I don’t know if he’s still in Monsey or not .
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics