Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Disability for mental health issues

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 18 2023, 12:46 pm
I have struggled with depression and anxiety both severe. Anyway, I take meds and I am stable mostly. Except when I forget to take my meds or refill. I also have ADHD that severely impedes my ability to function. BH I have kids a couple of them already diagnosed with ADHD. Yes, I am on BC before anyone asks.

My friends encouraged me to contact the revacha because I was not managing. And I did. They put me in contact with this organization that helps moms with ADHD and an organization that provides something called a somechet where they help you learn how to run your house.

They are giving me 30 hours a month. But I really have no clue how I will have time for them because I work...

The revacha keeps telling me to get disability, but when I asked my psychiatrist, she thought it was unlikely I would even get. My husband is against me getting. He is not into these kids of things. (He doesn't function well either honestly but separate discussion.)

I wonder if it's because I currently have a job. I am really struggling at my job, but I've been there for a long time and they like me BH.

But anyway, I wonder if I am more likely to get disability if I don't work. (I made less than 2k this month FTR because I barely worked. My ADHD and mental health makes it difficult.)

amother
Seagreen

Post Sat, Feb 18 2023, 1:41 pm
Maybe try contacting Chaim V'Chessed, they help anglo olim with all sorts of things, and this may be something they can give you some guidance on. https://chaimvchessed.com/

amother
Viola

Post Sat, Feb 18 2023, 2:22 pm
It's hard to get disability these days but it's definitely possible.

I used Miriam Salant +972 52-764-3640. Takes a percentage but is really good at getting people disability. Only speaks Hebrew and Yiddish.

amother
Steelblue

Post Sat, Feb 18 2023, 3:34 pm
Where do you live?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 19 2023, 2:12 am
Thanks for the info. I got a number of someone who deals with BL for free, but paid might get me help faster.

I just keep pushing this off because I really don't want disability. But I am really not sure what else to do to get my life together.

I really could get unemployment for a bit, but my salary is currently so low that I'm not sure that will help me enough.

We are deep in the negative. My husband's mental health (and ADHD) is even worse than mine. Doesn't help things.

amother
Viola

Post Sun, Feb 19 2023, 2:27 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks for the info. I got a number of someone who deals with BL for free, but paid might get me help faster.

I just keep pushing this off because I really don't want disability. But I am really not sure what else to do to get my life together.

I really could get unemployment for a bit, but my salary is currently so low that I'm not sure that will help me enough.

We are deep in the negative. My husband's mental health (and ADHD) is even worse than mine. Doesn't help things.

You need someone who knows how to play the game. Unfortunately it's what you have to do even if you fully apply for it. You really need someone who pays. Honestly the way these people work is they take a percentage if you get the money. Don't get any money there's no charge.

Why don't you want disability? Legally here no one ever needs to know you have it. It's only a problem is you disclose it somewhere but it's never mandatory to disclose it...

Also you really need specific parameters to be eligable for unemployment. It's a whole blagan itself.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 19 2023, 2:54 am
amother Viola wrote:
You need someone who knows how to play the game. Unfortunately it's what you have to do even if you fully apply for it. You really need someone who pays. Honestly the way these people work is they take a percentage if you get the money. Don't get any money there's no charge.

Why don't you want disability? Legally here no one ever needs to know you have it. It's only a problem is you disclose it somewhere but it's never mandatory to disclose it...

Also you really need specific parameters to be eligable for unemployment. It's a whole blagan itself.

We both have mental health issues and we've tried to get Bituach Leumi for DH for a while now but there's a hole in the system on his diagnosis. BL refuses to recognize his due to the fact it was only diagnosed after 18. It's a very specific diagnosis, and it sucks that he really could use the help and recourses but they are unwilling to recognize his issue. We have over ten letters from so many doctors, therapists, private kupah the whole shebang. We can't get it due to this dumb loophole that they don't believe people can miss this diagnosis as a child.

I'd rather not have disability because I'd rather not be disabled if I can help it. I know that doesn't really make sense. Also, my husband hates taking money from the government. He'll find some reason that I we don't deserve it. When I started with the revacha, he was in shock. I'm higher functioning than him and here people are saying I don't function well?

I'm not sure he could get nechut from his potential diagnosis. But for his mental health, I really think he's eligible for at least 50%. He's tried anti-depressants and they didn't help him. His undiagnosed problem is ASD likely because the spectrum was much smaller when he was a kid. Even my MIL agrees he's on the spectrum. He also has undiagnosed ADHD.

Between depression, ADHD and being on the spectrum, it's very hard for him to find employment. I keep the same low paying job because between my ADHD, my mental health issues and taking care of the kids (he's not reliable enough to deal with all their various things. Some he is and some he isn't), I end up with so little time.

He does have a job. It pays well per hour but he comes and goes when he wants and usually doesn't earn nearly enough. He will likely have to stop working there very soon and look for a 9 to 5 job. I'm grateful for what he has, but the next step is really scary.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 19 2023, 2:59 am
I am not against paying for help. I just know someone who went through some company and they made her do things that she really didn't want to do. She did end up with 50% for a year. But harming my emotional health to get disability would be very hard for me. I don't want to do that.

amother
Viola

Post Sun, Feb 19 2023, 5:51 am
amother OP wrote:
I'd rather not have disability because I'd rather not be disabled if I can help it. I know that doesn't really make sense. Also, my husband hates taking money from the government. He'll find some reason that I we don't deserve it. When I started with the revacha, he was in shock. I'm higher functioning than him and here people are saying I don't function well?

I'm not sure he could get nechut from his potential diagnosis. But for his mental health, I really think he's eligible for at least 50%. He's tried anti-depressants and they didn't help him. His undiagnosed problem is ASD likely because the spectrum was much smaller when he was a kid. Even my MIL agrees he's on the spectrum. He also has undiagnosed ADHD.

Between depression, ADHD and being on the spectrum, it's very hard for him to find employment. I keep the same low paying job because between my ADHD, my mental health issues and taking care of the kids (he's not reliable enough to deal with all their various things. Some he is and some he isn't), I end up with so little time.

He does have a job. It pays well per hour but he comes and goes when he wants and usually doesn't earn nearly enough. He will likely have to stop working there very soon and look for a 9 to 5 job. I'm grateful for what he has, but the next step is really scary.

If you would go after disability for your DH you would best not be to even try to get for ASD and push the depression issue more. He definitely would get it.

I'm sorry you and him are struggling with the idea of disability.

There's so shame in taking something that can help you function better.

amother
Viola

Post Sun, Feb 19 2023, 5:53 am
amother OP wrote:
I am not against paying for help. I just know someone who went through some company and they made her do things that she really didn't want to do. She did end up with 50% for a year. But harming my emotional health to get disability would be very hard for me. I don't want to do that.

If you do it through someone who knows what they are doing you get it for the long run, for life even depending on what the diagnosis is.

Yes unfortunately you have to lie to get it, more like you have to present you at your absolute worst. It's just how the system is. There's so many people who lie when they don't have anything and this is the price everyone else has to pay.

Also theres a frum support group for people with ASD family members on slack you may benefit from.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 19 2023, 1:04 pm
amother Viola wrote:
Oh well there you go. I wasn't go to get into details but my husband has ASD as do I. I receive disability because I was diagnosed as a child. He was only diagnosed after 18 and that's the dumb loophole were stuck with even though I'm functioning better than he does.

If you would go after disability for your DH you would best not be to even try to get for ASD and push the depression and ADHD issue more. He definitely would get it.

I'm sorry you and him are struggling with the idea of disability but it's changed our lives so much. There's not this pressure about working to put basic food on the table and rent to be paid up. We have the luxury of being able to get part time job that work for us, or for one of us to go back to school and get training in something we have a special interest in and will enjoy working in much more.

Our marriage would have so much more stress on it if we didn't have the disability from me.

That does sound very nice. Maybe I should do it... I guess the people you pay would know if it's worth doing. My psychiatrist doesn't think I'll get. But who knows? I don't think ADHD is on the list that gets a person disability, but mine is severe and greatly impacts my life. As a kid, they thought I was on the spectrum but after many many psychologists/psychiatrists and tests they concluded just ADD (before it was with the H).

Husband is stubborn, but maybe he will come around. And good to know the ASD is not worth anything Sad (Pathetic, considering it makes it so hard for him to function.)

What's slack?

amother
Viola

Post Sun, Feb 19 2023, 1:35 pm
amother OP wrote:
That does sound very nice. Maybe I should do it... I guess the people you pay would know if it's worth doing. My psychiatrist doesn't think I'll get. But who knows? I don't think ADHD is on the list that gets a person disability, but mine is severe and greatly impacts my life. As a kid, they thought I was on the spectrum but after many many psychologists/psychiatrists and tests they concluded just ADD (before it was with the H).

Husband is stubborn, but maybe he will come around. And good to know the ASD is not worth anything Sad (Pathetic, considering it makes it so hard for him to function.)

What's slack?

ADHD can get kids disability. I assume if you show you are low functioning enough you can get it as an adult. I reccomend contacting Miriam.

Slack is an app/program. You can Google it. It's a great group.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 19 2023, 11:52 pm
amother Viola wrote:
ADHD can get kids disability. I assume if you show you are low functioning enough you can get it as an adult. I reccomend contacting Miriam.

Slack is an app/program. You can Google it. It's a great group.

Kids get for a lot more things than adults IIUC. But I can ask Miriam. I am low enough functioning that the revacha is giving me 30 hours a month of somechet help Wink And it's contraindicated for me to take stimulants since I also have a history of anxiety and depression. I asked about non-stimulants but my psychiatrist wouldn't give me any. She told me to try Attent even though it's contraindicated. I tried once and was extremely jittery. I plan to give it one more try.

Good to know about Slack. I'll look it up. I think I've heard of it, but no clue what the person who said it meant.

amother
Viola

Post Tue, Feb 21 2023, 2:14 am
I did speak to someone who works with mental illness and she said that ADHD is barely recognized in kids, forget adults. They reccomend presenting as depression anxiety - she said even something like BPD they'll only give 20% disability which isn't enough.

Dont even give them the ADHD diagnosis. It will just complicate things on their end. Present anything you can as depression and anxiety. PTSD is also recognized too.

Obviously a lot of these have symptoms that cross over each other, especially if you are not functioning well it's not so hard to see how symptoms can seem like they belong to depression and anxiety vs adhd.

I'm also editing some personal info out of my posts so if you could pls just delete your quotes of me from all your posts.

amother
Trillium

Post Tue, Feb 21 2023, 2:28 am
Hi OP,

I never even thought about getting money from BL for depression and anxiety. But I should look into it for myself. You OP felt like you wrote it about me.
I have some serious ADHD kids. The only way you can get money is if you have a doctor sign off that they are dangerous to themselves or others. But still not easy and straightforward.
Please keep this post updated, I am curious how it goes. I'm too stressed to even think about fighting for such a thing.

amother
Viola

Post Tue, Feb 21 2023, 2:40 am
amother Trillium wrote:
Hi OP,

I never even thought about getting money from BL for depression and anxiety. But I should look into it for myself. You OP felt like you wrote it about me.
I have some serious ADHD kids. The only way you can get money is if you have a doctor sign off that they are dangerous to themselves or others. But still not easy and straightforward.
Please keep this post updated, I am curious how it goes. I'm too stressed to even think about fighting for such a thing.

Theres help out there, for bituach leumi and I'm sure there's support for practically day to day.

amother
Trillium

Post Tue, Feb 21 2023, 2:55 am
I was looking at the BL site, looks like there is possibilities.
I do have a problem that I do make a decent amount every month, but I work remotely (for US company). I personally know my work is not up to par. I clock in and many times just sit there. I answer emails and chats, but getting proper work done.....
I push myself through the days and keep a house running, but because of my perfectionism which an extreme.
Ugh so frustrating.

amother
Viola

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 3:50 am
amother Trillium wrote:
I was looking at the BL site, looks like there is possibilities.
I do have a problem that I do make a decent amount every month, but I work remotely (for US company). I personally know my work is not up to par. I clock in and many times just sit there. I answer emails and chats, but getting proper work done.....
I push myself through the days and keep a house running, but because of my perfectionism which an extreme.
Ugh so frustrating.

Even with a decent amount you will get some money. Unless you are making like 15k a month...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions