Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Very low carb pesach? How?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 19 2023, 11:33 pm
Dh is pre-diabetic and on an emergency intervention diet that seems to be helping. He's eating practically no carbs and it's gotten his a1c down to where it's not considered diabetic danger zone anymore but still pretty close to the borderline. Sorry I forgot the exact numbers but anyway it's been a lot of hard and strict dieting. He's working with a nutritionist so I'm sure she'll give us a pesach plan in due time but he's not ready for it yet and I'm already mentally trying to prepare how this is going to work.

I'm assuming he'll be using up his entire carb allowance on required mitzvah/meal matzos. And there's even a Shabbos chol hamoed this year so a full load of required meals! Which means it'll be extra strict on the types of vegetables he'll be allowed to eat. I already know from the last couple of months - if he's having no other carbs then they're more permissive with the vegetables but when he needs to go really low carb then he can't have squashes and stuff. And of course never the potatoes kind of family.

I'm going to stop thinking about this before I cry, I already always worked hard to make things healthy and tasty, and I think I'll still make the potato dishes we love for the rest of the family, but poor dh... and also I need to make SOMETHING for him to have as sides so he's not just filling up on more meat than I can possibly provide. Which is what he does when he doesn't have sides available. Either that or cheat and gain back weight and sugar. Or both.

Seeking ideas recipes and chizuk from any btdt!!!

Even my egg noodles have potato starch Sad

amother
PlumPink

Post Sun, Feb 19 2023, 11:50 pm
amother OP wrote:
Dh is pre-diabetic and on an emergency intervention diet that seems to be helping. He's eating practically no carbs and it's gotten his a1c down to where it's not considered diabetic danger zone anymore but still pretty close to the borderline. Sorry I forgot the exact numbers but anyway it's been a lot of hard and strict dieting. He's working with a nutritionist so I'm sure she'll give us a pesach plan in due time but he's not ready for it yet and I'm already mentally trying to prepare how this is going to work.

I'm assuming he'll be using up his entire carb allowance on required mitzvah/meal matzos. And there's even a Shabbos chol hamoed this year so a full load of required meals! Which means it'll be extra strict on the types of vegetables he'll be allowed to eat. I already know from the last couple of months - if he's having no other carbs then they're more permissive with the vegetables but when he needs to go really low carb then he can't have squashes and stuff. And of course never the potatoes kind of family.

I'm going to stop thinking about this before I cry, I already always worked hard to make things healthy and tasty, and I think I'll still make the potato dishes we love for the rest of the family, but poor dh... and also I need to make SOMETHING for him to have as sides so he's not just filling up on more meat than I can possibly provide. Which is what he does when he doesn't have sides available. Either that or cheat and gain back weight and sugar. Or both.

Seeking ideas recipes and chizuk from any btdt!!!

Even my egg noodles have potato starch Sad

Hugs!
Must be so hard. His numbers have gone down so thumbs up for you!

I'm b"h not experienced with diabetes but am experienced with low carb - both growing up and now.

First of all you can do egg noodles without the starch.
You can do oily/mayonnaisey (I know it's not a word...) sides and salads to make it more filling.
S/t like Waldorf salad if you can find something to swap the apples with - has mayo and nuts which is filling with lettuce to bulk it up.
Squash (regular green) with eggs is practically zero carb carb and very filling
Vegetable soup - or any soup - with approved veggies.
Fish
And yes lots of meat...

fish + soup + salad +chicken/ meat would be very filling and any low carb side would do I think.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Sun, Feb 19 2023, 11:52 pm
Here is a list of non-starchy vegetables from diabetes.org-- https://diabetes.org/healthy-l.....ables

So your recipes for Pesach would be based on ingredients you use on Pesach. You can make a meat stew for Shabbos lunch using onions, carrots, radishes, celery, etc instead of potatoes. You can use the same vegetables to make roasted chicken and vegetables for other meals. You can make a big salad with cucumber, shredded carrots, lettuce, and onion. You can use beets in different ways. You can make regular chicken soup and take some broth out and make egg drop soup using only eggs (keto style). You can make a big pot of onion soup as well as a vegetable soup which is very filling as well.

Let us know what veggies you use on Pesach and we can help you come up with recipes.

ETA: Speak to your Rav about possibly adding ingredients you typically dont use on Pesach but may be necessary for him to use if need be since this is medical so the Pesach restrictions may not apply to him.

amother
PlumPink

Post Sun, Feb 19 2023, 11:52 pm
What do /don't you eat on pesach? (chumra'wise)

amother
PlumPink

Post Sun, Feb 19 2023, 11:56 pm
amother Mintgreen wrote:
Here is a list of non-starchy vegetables from diabetes.org-- https://diabetes.org/healthy-l.....ables

So your recipes for Pesach would be based on ingredients you use on Pesach. You can make a stew for Shabbos lunch using onions, carrots, radishes, celery, etc instead of potatoes. You can use the same vegetables to make roasted chicken and vegetables for other meals. You can make a big salad with cucumber, shredded carrots, lettuce, and onion. You can use beets in different ways. You can make regular chicken soup and take some broth out and make egg drop soup using only eggs (keto style). You can make a big pot of onion soup which is very filling as well.
Let us know what veggies you use on Pesach and we can help you come up with recipes.

ETA: Speak to your Rav about possibly adding ingredients you typically dont use on Pesach but may be necessary for him to use if need be since this is medical so the Pesach restrictions may not apply to him.

Are beets/ carrots/ onions (more than just for flavor) ok?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 19 2023, 11:57 pm
Ashkenazi non-chasidish. So no string beans but yes broccoli I guess? No nuts due to severe allergies in the household. Custom has been to avoid prepared foods but due to circumstances right now I believe we are ready to prioritize coping and sanity and take whatever leniencies we can get. Financially tight but I expect to get some help with meat and chicken (and will probably receive a case of potatoes and a case of apples to go with it lol)

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Feb 19 2023, 11:57 pm
There is a great recipe for root vegetables in the Roosevelt cookbook (forgot the real name). The actual recipe won't work, but the concept might be an idea...take "allowed" vegetables and cut into spears, season with spices and roast.
If you use mushrooms on pesach, stuffed portabella mushroom caps can be an idea. Stuff with riced cauliflower (frozen or make your own) or broccoli
Soups can also work nicely...everything is more filling and appetizing in a soup.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 12:01 am
amother PlumPink wrote:
Are beets/ carrots/ onions (more than just for flavor) ok?

I am obviously not their dr so they can consult with their own doctor but according to the list from diabetes.org its ok. Here is the list in case someone cant open the link:

Common non-starchy vegetables

The following is a list of common non-starchy vegetables:

Amaranth or Chinese spinach
Artichoke
Artichoke hearts
Asparagus
Baby corn
Bamboo shoots
Beans (green, wax, Italian)
Bean sprouts
Beets
Brussels sprouts
Broccoli
Cabbage (green, bok choy, Chinese)
Carrots
Cauliflower
Celery
Chayote
Cucumber
Daikon
Eggplant
Greens (collard, kale, mustard, turnip)
Hearts of palm
Jicama
Kohlrabi
Leeks
Mushrooms
Okra
Onions
Pea pods
Peppers
Radishes
Rutabaga
Salad greens (chicory, endive, escarole, lettuce, romaine, spinach, arugula, radicchio, watercress)
Sprouts
Squash (cushaw, summer, crookneck, spaghetti, zucchini)
Sugar snap peas
Swiss chard
Tomato
Turnips
Water chestnuts
Yard-long beans

https://diabetes.org/healthy-l.....ables

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 12:01 am
Also, talk to the nutritionist already now for recipes and ideas. Even if DH isn't ready to hear, you are ready and knowing what you're dealing with and having some recipes to start with may make it more manageable

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 12:07 am
You are a great wife, OP!

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 12:12 am
Ask your rav about quinoa. Mine holds that it's not kitniyos. I don't eat flour and sugar and it's a big help for me to have it in my Pesach menu.
Also, find out the minimum shiur for wine and matza for a person with diabetes. It may make a difference.

amother
PlumPink

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 12:29 am
amother OP wrote:
Ashkenazi non-chasidish. So no string beans but yes broccoli I guess? No nuts due to severe allergies in the household. Custom has been to avoid prepared foods but due to circumstances right now I believe we are ready to prioritize coping and sanity and take whatever leniencies we can get. Financially tight but I expect to get some help with meat and chicken (and will probably receive a case of potatoes and a case of apples to go with it lol)

Broccoli salad
Mock potato salad - cauliflower, shredded carrots, sour pickles (optional) mayo

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 1:02 am
We use turnips instead of potatoes, in Chulent or roasted, red radishes instead of mini red potatoes. If he’s allowed parsnip is delishes sliced with oil and salt roasted or made into fake mashed potatoes! There are tons of yummy healthy low carb things you can make for pesach! Tell me what veg you use… you can make yummy hearty meatball soup with shredded cabbage, diced carrots, Hawaj. Beef potato leek soup using cheap bones and meat for flavor and shredding and adding back the meat after cooking, skip the potatoes and put in tons of leek to bulk it up! Get to know new spices, there is a huge variety, and they make everything so different and yum! I rarely use potatoes even on pesach but I do use all non kitnius veggies. I love food challenges. If you write up a list of what you use I would love to try to help you!

amother
Black

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 5:01 am
Please ask your rav if there is a heter for DH, not just for things you don't normally eat, but for kitniyot outright - we got a heter for someone allergic to most grains and potatoes and nuts, they really needed some additional items just to make it through. Obviously depends on your situation and your rav, so please ask.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 6:35 am
You'll need lots of meat/ chicken. Load up on the protein
Can he have things made with cassava flour?
What about quinoa?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 7:14 am
Cooked radishes are a great sub for potatoes. Also rutabages, but I don't think they are slightly higher in carbs than radishes. Eggplant is also a great choice.
Broccoli and cauliflower are also good veggies to include.

Eggs are a good food to use. You can make crustless quiches, omelettes, hard boiled eggs. Liver/chopped liver is abother good food.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 7:18 am
Protein and veggies.
It's very manageable and all about attitude. I made major health changes in this direction and have changed how I could for the entire family. Lots of fresh colorful vibrant salad as well as cooked veggies, soups and proteins prepared without the sugary sauces. Nobody misses it. I make additional dishes that I don't partake of so the rest of my family can enjoy - potato based, starchy vegetables. This is totally doable (I commiserate with the challenge) and requires no prepared ingredients (precut veggies are $$$ and a huge convenience but not necessary). And everyone feels a lot better after eating like this over pesach.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 7:18 am
#BestBubby wrote:
You are a great wife, OP!

Agreed, wow!

And quinoa, quinoa, quinoa. With chicken, with meatballs, etc. Every meal can consist of different types of vegetables (load with yummy spices), quinoa, and a meat. Matza is the biggest issue and he should discuss with his rav, now is not the time to be makbid on chumra shiurim.

imasinger

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 7:31 am
My DH has been on a keto diet for years -- and I probably should join him, but haven't found the koach. But at least I can help cook!

He goes off his diet for Pesach anyway, but wouldn't need to if necessary. Here are some ideas:

Many veggies are high carb. Stick with the low carb alternatives.

- AYLOR about checking and using fresh cauliflower, I make popcorn cauliflower every Shabbos (without sugar), and it's on our Pesach menu, too. We also do a bunch of things with riced cauliflower, including a "fried rice" with onions and meat.

- Roasted veggies (I routinely use onion, large mushrooms, zucchini, and peppers -- no potato, sweet potato or squash, which are high carb).

- Stir fry broccoli

- Salads

- Meats

- Soups

- Eggs and cheese for the non meat meals. We often do a Pesach frittata.

Berries are low carb, speak to your doctor and your rav about whether there's a way to have them fresh.

There are some low carb extremely dark chocolate bars available, including with Pesach hechsher.

Hatzlacha!

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 8:25 am
My husband and I have been doing low carb for years.
Pesach is basically:
Eggs for breakfast
Fish for lunch or cauliflower pizza
Meat/chicken supper
All served with lots of veggies or soups.
On yt I make tons of salads fresh roasted vegetables soups and protein for the meals.

Snacks are grapefruits cheese and homemade beef jerky.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics