Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
Buying a cookbook

How much would you spend on a nice cookbook?
10 dollars or less  
 8%  [ 4 ]
10-15 dollars  
 14%  [ 7 ]
15-20 dollars  
 39%  [ 19 ]
20-30 dollars  
 25%  [ 12 ]
30-40 dollars  
 12%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 48

baby's mom

Post Thu, Oct 20 2005, 6:04 pm
How much would you spend on a nice cookbook?

lucky

Post Fri, Oct 21 2005, 1:04 am
I usually buy a cookbook only if I hear about it from freinds and neighbors who have tried it.

RivkaS

Post Sat, Oct 22 2005, 5:47 pm
I stop buying cookbooks because
a) I have a collection
b) I rarely use what I have
c) if I look for something, there are so may cookbooks online, that it would be a waste, google always helps! Wink

lucky

Post Sat, Oct 22 2005, 8:40 pm
Google does not help much if I need a "Heimishe " recipe. I have 4 great kosher cookbooks.

1. The Haimishe Kitchen (Very basic kosher recipes)
2. The Haimishe Kitchen #2
3. A Yiddishe Simcha (The BEST of all)
4. Culinary Creations(bnos zion of bobov)

cindy324

Post Sat, Oct 22 2005, 9:46 pm
I love cookbooks, in fact I began to collect them. There is a book club called thegoodcook.com. When you first join you can choose like 5 cookbooks for $1 (total) + shipping. You pay a total of like $17 for the five cookbooks, your choice. Only thing is you have to commit yourself to buying 2 more cookbook at their discounted club prices within the next two years. Not a bad deal if you ask me. No , they are not heimishe cookbooks, but there are a few that have really amazing recipes, adaptable to a kosher lifestyle. Some suggestions: The Good Housekeeping cookbook(big yellow book, personal fave) Pillsbury Complete Cookbook, and for all of you bakers out there, Better Homes Biggest Book of Cookies(tons of yummy cookie recipes)
Also a word of caution here: If you do join, you will have to make sure you respond to your featured selections every month, if you don't reply, whether by mail ,online or by calling, they will send you thaat month's 2 selections and then you're stuck paying for them. But if you're online all the time then you will also receive an e-mail letting you know that you can reply to this month's selections, so it's no biggie.

stem

Post Sat, Oct 22 2005, 9:59 pm
My mother used to have the NY Times cookbook. A lot of our family favorites come from there.

lucky

Post Sat, Oct 22 2005, 10:18 pm
I have the Hershey chocolate cookbook. It makes your mouth water...

Milk Munch

Post Sun, Oct 23 2005, 9:24 pm
One of my favorite cookbooks is called "The Book of Jewish Food" by Claudia Rodan.
It is a whole history book of the Jews through food. I know that sounds strange but if you saw it you'd understand.
And of course the recipes are awsome!

baby's mom

Post Sun, Oct 23 2005, 10:18 pm
Milk Munch wrote:
One of my favorite cookbooks is called "The Book of Jewish Food" by Claudia Rodan.
It is a whole history book of the Jews through food. I know that sounds strange but if you saw it you'd understand.
And of course the recipes are awsome!

Wow! I just read some excerpts on Amazon and it is fascinating!

odchai

Post Tue, Oct 25 2005, 4:58 pm
Hey! How come no one mentioned the purple Lubavitch cookbook???
My mother still has the original one (yellow) and I got the purple one when I got married and still find that I use it very often.
Also, I like the Kosher Pallete (which cost me almost $30, that's why I voted that I would spend more than $20 on a cookbook) there are some really great recipes in there that I use time and time again. Like the carrot kugel, or the chocolate chip sticks, those are simple and good. I also like the Enchanted Broccoli Forest and The Moosewood cookbooks for interesting ideas that use more vegetables/pasta/cheese.

Tefila

Post Wed, Oct 26 2005, 11:00 pm
Quote:
My mother still has the original one (yellow)

LOL so do I plus the purple one and the yellow one is my favourite 4 sure Smile

Rochel Leah

Post Wed, Oct 26 2005, 11:15 pm
isnt the purple one just an updated version of the yellow one?

odchai

Post Thu, Oct 27 2005, 6:20 am
Yes the purple one is the same as the yellow one but very comprehensively updated, and many more recipes added.

odchai

Post Thu, Oct 27 2005, 6:21 am
Yes the purple one is the same as the yellow one but very comprehensively updated, and many more recipes added.

jewgal84

Post Fri, Oct 28 2005, 11:44 am
I got the purple one too, though my hubby gets more use out of it than I do, and thanx to my dear sil we've got "kosher by design", it has some really nice and tasty recipes in there and really great tips on presentation,

I especially like the 2 in one soup they have (carrot and brocolli) you spill them together at the same time and you get a really neat design!!

jewgal84

Post Fri, Oct 28 2005, 11:48 am
I just noticed an advertisement on Eichlers, for a new "Kosher by Design" cookbook except it for "Kids in the Kitchen", looks really neat!

baby's mom

Post Mon, Oct 31 2005, 12:19 am
Quote:
Hey! How come no one mentioned the purple Lubavitch cookbook???

That is a must-have-cookbook! I love that it has everything (well almost).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics