Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Very low carb pesach? How?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Molasses

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 5:39 am
In my family, its me who has to be careful with carbs. Totally doable.

Some things from my menu off the top of my head:

Meatballs (made from ground chicken or chicken/beef mix) served with spaghetti squash.

Grilled chicken with roasted veggies - red onion, zucchini, peppers, mushrooms. So many ways to make grilled chicken, different spice mixtures. You can also "bread" in ground nuts if you want to fry.

Spiced chicken on the bone with broccoli kugel.

You can make broccoli kugel substituting cauliflower. You can make zucchini kugel without carbs too. These are good for freezer friendly meals so you have things put away. Also good for a snack if you make them in small foil pans.

Soups - you can make veggie soup without potatoes, carrot soup, zucchini soup, chicken soup are all fine.

If red meat is OK, that is generally very filling. Eggs are good too. I usually use 1 or 2 whole eggs and then just bulk it up with whites.

You just have to find out the shiur of what he has to eat with matzah. For kiddush, generally dry wines are better. If you have older boys, I know there are heteirim where other ppl drink the wine after he makes the bracha, but being a woman I'm not so familiar...

Hatzlacha! Your support will make all the difference!

mom of 8

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 5:41 am
We start off every meal with a lettuce salad on the plate that has a protein.. ex: grilled cutlet , London broil, shredded chicken, salmon. So that everyone is the same and at least isn't starving when in comes to the main/ carb.

rachelbg

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 5:42 am
I’d reach out to a frum nutritionist for ideas that that will work.

Also, confirm with a Rov about what his requirements are and what a person does who is in his boat.

amother
Crystal

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 5:52 am
Is he allowed to go carnivore, or is his proteins restricted as well.
What are his macros?
Does he do net carbs or total carbs?
Is he in Ketosis? Even after Shabbos?

Look into keto recipes

Bone broth is helpful to keep him full

NO flavour Gelatin can makes a great dessert
There are 2 TYPES for Pesach so check the ingredients. One has sugar the other does not
I make vanilla jello, coffee jello, chocolate jello and use a little birch Xylitol for sweetner

amother
Aconite

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 6:12 am
I'm pre diabetic and also get GD every pregnancy (and have been pregnant over pesach) and actually find Pesach pretty easy. The only real issue is matzah at the Sedarim, you otherwise don't need any the rest of the time, and potatoes. Most pesach staples like eggs are low carb anyway. You'll have to stay away from packaged foods or imitation foods since they tend to be potato starch based, but if you stick with proteins and not starchy veg you should be fine. If you have any chumrahs that restrict you further it's definitely worth asking about if those can be relaxed for your husband, and you might even get a heter to relax somewhat on kitniyos though personally have never asked about kitniyos and have always managed fine without them. It would be a different story I think if pesach was a month rather than a week. Quinoa you anyway have to be careful about fyi. It's great and all, but you still have to be careful with it carb wise, definitely not the panacea people are making it out to be. When I've had GD, I was never able to have more then a couple small scoops of quinoa without spiking.

amother
Crystal

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 6:31 am
Don’t worry about kitniyot or quinoa
Too high in carbs.
Again it all depends on his macros

imasinger

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 6:31 am
Also, a must -- speak to your rav about minimun shiurim for matza under this circumstance.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 6:54 am
amother Black wrote:
Please ask your rav if there is a heter for DH, not just for things you don't normally eat, but for kitniyot outright - we got a heter for someone allergic to most grains and potatoes and nuts, they really needed some additional items just to make it through. Obviously depends on your situation and your rav, so please ask.

Most kitniyos (and chametz) are high-carb, so I doubt such a heter will be very helpful to OP's DH.

giftedmom

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 7:10 am
What do you mean by more meat than you can possibly provide?
Let the guy have his meat if he’s allowed. Fat is great at keeping you full and stabilizing blood sugar. Make it a priority.

amother
Molasses

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 8:42 am
I found my menu from last pesach for you! Being that I'm the only one needing low-carb, it includes other stuff for my family so they would have the kugels and sweet sides they like too. But I always make sure there are options for me. Like the egg noodles are separate, so I just don't put that in my soup. Or I just skip cholent which I never eat anyway. I made chicken knaidels so on Motzai Shabbos, I had soup with veggies and the knaidel and just stopped at soup because shabbos is hard with so much washing. Just for that meal, I didn't make anything in the main course for me, and my family enjoyed a sweet chicken dish.Anyway, hope this helps:

Erev Pesach: Fried chicken cutlets, grilled chicken cutlets, grilled red cabbage steaks, potato kugel, israeli salad

Dips: Avocado, matbucha

Friday night: Gefilte fish, chicken soup with egg noodles, saucy meatballs, roast cauliflower & shallots, strawberry apple kugel

Shabbos day: Eggs, sliced veggies, tomato-mushroom salad, pesach cholent with kishka, grilled cutlets, carrot kugellettes

Motzai Shabbos: Gefilte fish, chicken soup with egg noodles, stuffed cutlets in sweet sauce, broccoli kugel

Sunday Day: Oyster steak salad, carrot soup, boneless flanken, grilled chicken cutlets, zucchini mushroom kugel, red cabbage salad

Chol Hamoed: pulled beef, spinach-chicken burgers, fried chicken cutlets

2nd days:
Thursday night: Stuffed mushrooms, zucchini soup, chicken on the bone (make extra white for shabbos), roast red potatoes and sweet potatoes, roasted veggies, zucchini mushroom kugel, strawberry apple kugel

Friday day: Beet and Grapefruit Salad, Carrot soup, onion-garlic roast, cutlet strips in honey/wine sauce, zucchini fritters, potato kugel

Friday night: Mini meatballs, sweet potato salad, chicken soup, chicken marsala, broccoli kugel

Shabbos day: Eggs, chopped liver salad, pesach cholent with kishka, chicken on the bone, carrot kugellettes

pause

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 8:55 am
Without the diabetes issue, we live on vegetable salads over Pesach. Every meal has at least one. All main meals get a soup too.

amother
Crystal

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 10:52 am
OP - do you know his macros?
How much carbs he can have?
How much protein?

Then you can work a menu from there and then add potatoes or quinoa sides for the rest of the family and guests

best

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 11:22 am
amother OP wrote:
Dh is pre-diabetic and on an emergency intervention diet that seems to be helping. He's eating practically no carbs and it's gotten his a1c down to where it's not considered diabetic danger zone anymore but still pretty close to the borderline. Sorry I forgot the exact numbers but anyway it's been a lot of hard and strict dieting. He's working with a nutritionist so I'm sure she'll give us a pesach plan in due time but he's not ready for it yet and I'm already mentally trying to prepare how this is going to work.

I'm assuming he'll be using up his entire carb allowance on required mitzvah/meal matzos.

And there's even a Shabbos chol hamoed this year so a full load of required meals! Which means it'll be extra strict on the types of vegetables he'll be allowed to eat. I already know from the last couple of months - if he's having no other carbs then they're more permissive with the vegetables but when he needs to go really low carb then he can't have squashes and stuff. And of course never the potatoes kind of family.

I'm going to stop thinking about this before I cry, I already always worked hard to make things healthy and tasty, and I think I'll still make the potato dishes we love for the rest of the family, but poor dh... and also I need to make SOMETHING for him to have as sides so he's not just filling up on more meat than I can possibly provide. Which is what he does when he doesn't have sides available. Either that or cheat and gain back weight and sugar. Or both.

Seeking ideas recipes and chizuk from any btdt!!!

Even my egg noodles have potato starch Sad

DH is on low carb all year he uses a scale for mattzah 27grams for 1st Kazayit, 16 or even 10 grams for the rest.

Coliflower kugel is great sub for potato,

Almond flower is low carb sub for potato

Baked meat balls with only spice and onion.

Chicken cutlet strips lightly baked are juicy and tasty.

Lettuce and chicken sandwich

Spaghetti squash baked for 50 min350 then spice with salt black pepper , upgrade with sauteed onion garlic

Dry wine can be diluted with 75% water and use 5 oz or 3oz cup

Noodles: just omit the starch and enjoy.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 11:48 am
You can do this 💪
Concentrate on the lowest carb veggies. It's really hard when you start, but as you compile a list, you'll come up with creative options.
Here's something to help you start.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....55907

Concentrate on lots of zoodles (I use a julienne peeler and just peel a zuke as needed).

Buy some gefen cans of palmini (hearts of palm "noodles") so you have the option to just pop open a can as needed.

Spaghetti squash is also great, almost the same carb amout as zucchini. Also delish in a kugel.

Kohlrabi latkes.

Then just fresh colorful veggies, either raw or roasted. I love a mixture of roasted zucchini, yellow squash zucchini, baby carrots, mushrooms, colorful peppers or mini tomatoes, with cubed red onion and fresh garlic.

Sautéed spinach either frozen or fresh.

2 color veggie fries (white parsley root and carrots).

Zucchini soup

Roasted broccoli. Roasted cauliflower.

Chunky veggie soup (veggies half shredded and half diced for texture). Onion garlic zucchini parsnip carrots mushrooms.

Parnsip puree.

You've got this. Make sure he helps you and does all prep with you. Don't overwork. Just have only one carb dish that he won't have, and one veggie dish that he can fill up on, at each meal, along with the whole protein. If you're serving dips at a meal, accompany that with veggie stix for him.

May he see continued health!

amother
Crystal

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 12:03 pm
We don’t know how low carb he needs to go
We can’t just recommend unlimited low carb veggies since these have carbs
We can’t just recommend unlimited protein since protein can turn into glucose in the body through gluconeogenesis
OP- these are things you need to ask your nutritionist

I’ve researched this a lot since I have a love one that has a cancer diagnosis and is using diet asan adjunct to treatment

doodlesmom

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 12:23 pm
If he isn’t allergic to nuts, then you might need to find away for him to have it, either in a separate space etc.
You can even make cookies with nuts, eggs and sugar substitute. That’s good for all year round!

spikta

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 12:57 pm
Hopefully by pesach he'll have been doing super low carb for a while and will be in ketosis, so he won't be driven crazy with cravings. Pesachs that I've managed to keep keto have been much more pleasant for me. There isn't that constant feeling of omg-omg-omg-what-will-I-eat??? I have soups, salads, cooked vegetables, meat/chicken/eggs/cheese, and it's great. I don't make 5 million dishes each meal because I don't eat them, and the only side the kids will eat is potatoes anyways. Food is lighter, healthier, simpler and actually cheaper because I don't eat any super expensive processed pesach foods.

I love roasted chicken over cabbage. Just pad a tray with leave of cabbage (a lot, like a whole head. pack them in. They'll shrink when they cook) set some chicken bottoms on top, season with whatever spices you want and bake on high heat until the chicken is done. The cabbage soaks up the chicken juices and you've got yourself a lovely and easy one pan meal. I also do a lot of plain roasted cabbage as a side dish with a bit of olive oil and salt. When you're not eating sugar you're more sensitive to sweetness, and roasted cabbage tastes pleasantly sweet.

I do veggie pizza type meals where you roast a low carb vegetable like cabbage or eggplant, then top with crushed tomatoes and shredded cheese. You can also do mousaka with roasted eggplant slices, crushed tomatoes and browned ground beef with fried onions (if you can) and spices.

I make low carb kugels which work for pesach too:

Super quick milchik mushroom kugel:
2 cans drained sliced mushrooms
2 containers cottage cheese
4 eggs
salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika to taste

Mix everything in a 9*13 pan and bake at 350 until golden, ~ 30 minutes.
This is my super fast go to for lunch on erev pesach when everyone's starving, there isn't much food you can actually eat. I usually make it at least once more for an easy chol hamoed lunch. Fried onions are a nice addition if you have the carbs to spare.

Parve cauliflower/broccoli kugel:
2 bags (14-16oz) frozen cauliflower or broccoli, thawed, large pieces broken up
4 tbsp mayonaise
4 eggs
1 tsp soup powder (chicken/onion/mushroom)
salt and pepper to taste

Mix everything in a 9*13 pan and bake at 350 until golden, ~ 40 minutes.
I make this at least twice over pesach and usually double it. It's good as a side dish, light lunch, it's fine to eat cold out of the fridge...

If you're not sure where to look for recipes, from what you say, it sounds like keto is your friend, since recipes will avoid grains and kitniyos anyway. So you can google ideas for keto soups, keto salads, etc.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 2:01 pm
amother Bronze wrote:
Agreed, wow!

And quinoa, quinoa, quinoa. With chicken, with meatballs, etc. Every meal can consist of different types of vegetables (load with yummy spices), quinoa, and a meat. Matza is the biggest issue and he should discuss with his rav, now is not the time to be makbid on chumra shiurim.

His diet doesn't allow quinoa. No grains at all. And no peas or beans so a kitniyos heter wouldn't even help.

Thank you to all for your suggestions and chizzuk. Maybe I'm just having a hormonal moment because I still just want to have a temper tantrum and reject every idea other than my mother's mashed potatoes. But when the mood passes this is where I'm coming back to to make my menu and shopping list.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 2:09 pm
giftedmom wrote:
What do you mean by more meat than you can possibly provide?
Let the guy have his meat if he’s allowed. Fat is great at keeping you full and stabilizing blood sugar. Make it a priority.

I do. But have you ever seen how much meat a guy can put away who used to be almost 300lb and is not allowed any of his favorite foods other than meat? The other day I made meatballs. I don't usually do this but I felt like treating. Spent like a half hour rolling balls, I made about 3x as much as usual because I figured once I'm making it we may as well have it for dinner twice. I had to pop out around supper time and when I came back to put it away there was enough left to fill less than one pint container. Besides the work, that was like $20 worth of chopped meat, and that's the cheapest kind of meat there is. And it was practically gone in one meal. A roast is easier to make because you can stick it in a pot or pan and not make individual portions but that costs 3x as much.

Anyway that's a story for a different thread. First, pesach.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 2:14 pm
amother Crystal wrote:
We don’t know how low carb he needs to go
We can’t just recommend unlimited low carb veggies since these have carbs
We can’t just recommend unlimited protein since protein can turn into glucose in the body through gluconeogenesis
OP- these are things you need to ask your nutritionist

I’ve researched this a lot since I have a love one that has a cancer diagnosis and is using diet asan adjunct to treatment

I don't know numbers, his nutritionist gives him instructions every week but basically it's unlimited protein and green veggies, specificied servings of other veggies and fruits, and no carbs except one slice of challah per Shabbos meal (he used to have more carbs built in on alternating days during the week but he wasn't doing so great with that)

I have never heard of protein turning into glucose and now I'm kind of worried... because he takes his unlimited proteins very seriously. Maybe we need a better nutritionist but his doctor recommended this one and he really likes him.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics