Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Don't want surgery or meds
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 6:59 pm
I am obese, about 75 lbs overweight. It's the familiar old story, a lifetime of yo-yo dieting and borderline eating disorders, the weight always comes back. I'm not stupid, I know what works and what doesn't work and sometimes I'm able to be on top of it, sometimes not. Also, while I'm not happy at my current weight, I would be ok if I lost half of it and stay there, rather than pressure myself to lose it all and probably never manage to actually keep it off.

In general my family is on my case a lot about my weight and lately they've been pressuring me about looking into more extreme options like medication and surgery after I have my baby (I'm pregnant at the moment). I've actually already spoken to my doctor about Ozempic after I have the baby because it did sound like maybe something that would be a good thing to try, but when she went through the risks of it, it really put me off. Surgery would be even more risky. And either way, there's STILL the risk of gaining everything back. So I've decided I'm going to just stick with the old do my best with diet and exercise, hopefully with a more healthy, less disordered attitude, and what will be, will be. My family is getting really annoying and even all "why wouldn't you at least try" and story after story of allllll the people they know who did amaaaaaazing on ozempic etc. I'm so tired. I just don't want to, I don't think either option is truly right for me.

amother
Navyblue

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 7:12 pm
If you don’t think it is right for you, don’t be bullied into doing it.

You know what you need to do and what has worked for you, and it does get harder with age, but be determined to prove the naysayers wrong.
Figure out what you can do to set yourself up for continued success. Have a plan. Allocate whatever resources you would be investing in surgery or ozempic into setting yourself up for success.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 7:42 pm
I tried very hard to lose weight for a long time. I cooked all my meals at home and had protein at every meal, ate the correct amount of calories for weight loss, exercised daily. I lost a couple of pounds over a few months but there was no movement. I used a health couch, paid for another app, tried tons of stuff. My doctor told me to try weight loss medication. I did not bring it up and really was hesitant as I didn't want the weight to just come right back on. She said she has seen mixed results and suggested I do it as long as I continue my healthy habits.

I have lost a lot of weight since starting medication. I am worried about when I stop it. But I am hoping my motivation of the weight I lost will keep my cravings and portions in check. I am already eating very healthy and do not keep any junk food in my house. The only thing that would really change is that I would eat more of the healthy food and go over my calorie limit.

For me, weight loss was not happening and I do not know why. I was so careful for so many months and had the right ratio of protein/veggies/carbs, drank tons of water, exercised. My doctor ran every blood test and everything was normal so there was no reason why I was not losing weight.

I do not know yet if I am against medication. I was against it but now that I am on it with no side effects and have lost a lot of weight, I have yet to see. The true test is if in a year or two, I have succeeded in maintaining the weight I lost while on medication.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 7:45 pm
Happy sleever here
I was miserable being overweight and having no diets work sometimes as my dr told me it’s just in my genes to be fat!
Sorry with what ur dealing with it’s really annoying to be overweight when there are ppl that fress more than us and stay skinny…
The only thing that worked for me was surgery but u can’t do the surgery because ur family is pushing u! It has to be a decision that u want for urself! Good luck!

amother
Heather

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 7:55 pm
When I had to lose 40 pounds after having a baby at 40 am was just too tired and too hungry to really give it my all. Eventually I went (back) to weight watchers and being that I was so motivated I actually stuck with it. It worked out for me because I was still able to eat a grilled cheese sandwich or pasta with melted cheese.. coffee with cookies… I just had to make sure to ONLY use 2 slices of bread when I made my sandwich, to use reduced fat cheese, measure my pasta, eat 2 cookies and not 7(!) and I actually lost weight and wasn’t walking around hungry! Each week I would listen in by the meetings and get more motivated.. what motivated me the most was when they would mark down my weight loss and week after week I would watch pounds disappear. It took around a year but as long as I stuck with the program I was actually losing so that is something I would recommend even if you tried it before because you really don’t walk around hungry. The program changes a little every year and these days you can eat fruits, vegetables and fish it’s not even counted as ‘points’. Decide that you will stick with it and you’ll see that it will work. Many people who are members now have lost over 100 pounds so you can too if you really want to.

amother
Heather

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 7:56 pm
amother Seashell wrote:
Happy sleever here
I was miserable being overweight and having no diets work sometimes as my dr told me it’s just in my genes to be fat!
Sorry with what ur dealing with it’s really annoying to be overweight when there are ppl that fress more than us and stay skinny…
The only thing that worked for me was surgery but u can’t do the surgery because ur family is pushing u! It has to be a decision that u want for urself! Good luck!

Was it painful? How much have you lost? Do you ever feel like overeating?

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 8:15 pm
Yes it was very painful but I would do it again!
I lost 70lb which is what I needed I am now a size XS from a size XXL
I can’t physically overeat even if I wanted to
There are some annoying things like not being able to eat and drink together and no drinking gassy drinks
But overall I can eat anything I want just in smaller amounts and I stay full
I would recommend it to everyone but it has to be their own decision

amother
Mimosa

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 8:59 pm
Good for you!!!

I am proud of you,

Heart certified health coach

Ps: don't treat the pressure different than any other not their place to pressure you topic.

amother
Heather

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 9:14 pm
amother Seashell wrote:
There are some annoying things like not being able to eat and drink together and no drinking gassy drinks

How long did it take from after you got the surgery till you became a size xs?

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 9:15 pm
Took me less then a year
Now I’m pregnant bh and smaller then I ever was not pregnant

amother
Tanzanite

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 9:15 pm
Your family needs to stop. Right now.

amother
Heather

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 9:19 pm
amother Seashell wrote:
Took me less then a year
Now I’m pregnant bh and smaller then I ever was not pregnant

Wow…

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 9:19 pm
I should note, I have PCOS, and I am severely insulin resistant. So I do understand that I am probably a better candidate for off label use than just anyone. But I also know low carb/high fat diet generally works well for me, it's really a matter of sticking to it. I have concerns not just about side effects and long term risks, but on being dependent on the drug for life.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 9:20 pm
It’s very very hard to do the surgery but it’s worth it!
And I obviously wouldn’t push anyone to do it it’s a very personal decision

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 9:28 pm
amother Seashell wrote:

What surgery did you have? I was doing some research and saw they're doing endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty which is minimally invasive. It seems to good to be true for me. Has anyone ever heard of it or know someone that did it? I'm sure insurance does not cover it as it is a fairly new technique. But I'm so desperate. I have about 55-60 lbs to lose and it's not budging. Im doing intermittent fasting and eating 3-4 healthy meals a day, for months now. Haven't lost a single pound. So frustrating. And I have family members that eat non stop and are 4 weeks after a baby and skinny as anything. Seems so unfair. Sorry for kvetching, it does feel better to get it off my chest. Now about that endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty surgery. Would love to know more info please.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 9:29 pm
I did the regular gastric sleeve where they remove part of ur stomach laparoscopically
Btw there are frum woman sleeve support chats for when u do it

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 10:44 pm
amother Bisque wrote:
What surgery did you have? I was doing some research and saw they're doing endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty which is minimally invasive. It seems to good to be true for me. Has anyone ever heard of it or know someone that did it? I'm sure insurance does not cover it as it is a fairly new technique. But I'm so desperate. I have about 55-60 lbs to lose and it's not budging. Im doing intermittent fasting and eating 3-4 healthy meals a day, for months now. Haven't lost a single pound. So frustrating. And I have family members that eat non stop and are 4 weeks after a baby and skinny as anything. Seems so unfair. Sorry for kvetching, it does feel better to get it off my chest. Now about that endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty surgery. Would love to know more info please.

I wouldn't do surgery for 55 pounds. Even minimally invasive is still surgery. Are you open to medication

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 10:59 pm
amother Tiffanyblue wrote:
I wouldn't do surgery for 55 pounds. Even minimally invasive is still surgery. Are you open to medication

My BMI is 31 Sad
I dont know about medication. I'm afraid of ozempic, but was considering mounjaro. Sadly mounjaro is no longer an option as the fda does not allow it for off label use anymore. I don't even know who to ask for medication. My dr is against these type of stuff...

amother
Heather

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 11:02 pm
amother Bisque wrote:

This is still painful surgery

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 11:04 pm
amother OP wrote:
I am obese, about 75 lbs overweight. It's the familiar old story, a lifetime of yo-yo dieting and borderline eating disorders, the weight always comes back. I'm not stupid, I know what works and what doesn't work and sometimes I'm able to be on top of it, sometimes not. Also, while I'm not happy at my current weight, I would be ok if I lost half of it and stay there, rather than pressure myself to lose it all and probably never manage to actually keep it off.

In general my family is on my case a lot about my weight and lately they've been pressuring me about looking into more extreme options like medication and surgery after I have my baby (I'm pregnant at the moment). I've actually already spoken to my doctor about Ozempic after I have the baby because it did sound like maybe something that would be a good thing to try, but when she went through the risks of it, it really put me off. Surgery would be even more risky. And either way, there's STILL the risk of gaining everything back. So I've decided I'm going to just stick with the old do my best with diet and exercise, hopefully with a more healthy, less disordered attitude, and what will be, will be. My family is getting really annoying and even all "why wouldn't you at least try" and story after story of allllll the people they know who did amaaaaaazing on ozempic etc. I'm so tired. I just don't want to, I don't think either option is truly right for me.

Have you tried a keto type diet? It was the only thing that worked for me, after trying almost every other diet. It’s amazing, it kills all the hunger and cravings.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise