Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> UK and Europe Related Inquiries
Children's coat Gemach

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 10:33 am
Hi Londoners,

Do you think toddlers and children's winter coats is a worthwhile Gemach? Is there a need for it?
What about girls dresses?

TIA

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 6:36 pm
At the end of each season I have so much nice clothing that I would love to give away. Many are branded or good quality and I would love to give it to some local people that would need it because it is still in style the next season.
I am not sure of the need, but I am sure some people would benefit from it.
One thing that I have always been dreaming of is, to start a proper shop (in the US they have it, I forgot the name).
I would love it to be overstock and nearly new clothing, everything should have a barcode and every family should have a 'debit card' to swipe when they pay so it would look like a members only shop. But everything should be free or minimal amounts.
I would love that teenagers and children should be able to feel like they are shopping in a real store and not just getting free clothing.
Thanks my dream!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 21 2023, 7:48 am
Hi Lime,

We were invited for lunch last Shabbos and one of the ladies mentioned something very similar to your idea. Maybe we can liaise and come up with something which could make your and my dream a reality.

Where in London are you based?

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Feb 21 2023, 12:13 pm
Stamford Hill

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 21 2023, 1:09 pm
Thank you.

You write that it is your dream to start a proper shop like the one in US. You also write that it would be good if the clothes were all free or nearly free. So that I can get the picture does the shop in US sell the items for near to nothing or do they charge the same amount as other clothes shops?

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Feb 21 2023, 1:09 pm
Hi

In London there is the Family World Gemach in Hendon. They only take good quality great condition clothing, preferably on hangers and linen.

Drop off is Wednesday mornings 9.30 - 10.30am garages behind danescroft flats. (They close at some point before pesach and reopen again after).

Shopping there is by appointment, you call and arrange. Everything is hung up on rails and very menchdik (no charge).

In Stamford Hill Mrs B. Gelbman runs a clothing gemach. There's also Aaron Leibrnthal on craven walk that sends shipments of clothing to EY, you can drop off clothing at his house.

Hope that helps Smile

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 21 2023, 1:32 pm
Thank you so much Salmon for clarifying.

I am so happy thanks to Yael that now there is a forum for UK imas.

It looks like there is no need for a kids clothing gemach.

What I have in my house is loads and loads of jigsaw puzzles, family board games, brain teaser games, loads of jewish books of all kinds, and I have a lot of baby equipment that I don't need any more but I don't want to throw away any of the items I mentioned.

I would be happy to use any one or more of these items for a gemach.

What do any of you think?

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Feb 21 2023, 1:36 pm
Just thought to add:

There are also many WhatsApp groups where ppl give away clothing and its taken very quickly. (I do not want to post the links on a public forum for obvious reasons).

There's also Yad Laem in GG that people give the organiser (Renee) baby clothing and baby items (literally anything from nursing cushions to baby swings, toys to breastfeeding pumps to left over milk formula etc) and she passes them on. (Whilst I'm at it there's also a nappies and wipes etc gemach!)

BH we have many gemachim and organisations in London Smile

There is also a simcha-wear gemach for adults, another one for teens and another for bridesmaids and page boys.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Feb 21 2023, 1:40 pm
Hi OP

I see we posted at the same time Smile

For the games etc there are also many WhatsApp giveaway and selling groups and people give and take on them very frequently

Theres also a Facebook group I'm not on Facebook so I'm not sure how it works but its called frugal frummers and I understand ppl give away and sell there too
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> UK and Europe Related Inquiries