Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
I know this guy! (Stand By Serial in Family First)
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

ruchelbuckle

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 12:45 pm
I was starting to get into this new serial in the Family First... Stand By. But then, we learn that Ari (the guy Dassy is dating) is not only uber wealthy (as demonstrated by the BMW and the renting out of restaurants) but a control freak and probably a psychopath also... Typical.

Yes, I've seen this character before in other fiction works.....haven't we all?

News flash: There are uber wealthy people who are nice and don't have lots of psychological problems.

Maybe Ari will need counseling from Benny from the other story!

amother
Vanilla

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 1:33 pm
He's definitely not a good Shidduch for Bilha - she'll see through him in 30 seconds.

amother
Skyblue

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 1:42 pm
But as a reader there's something about reading and being able to see the bigger picture and be sitting there reading and going don't do that, why can't you see that he's a psychopath etc etc. Tropes and cliches are tropes and cliches for a reason.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 1:45 pm
I would have been so turned off by a guy renting out an entire restaurant to make sure there's no distractions and then dangle getting engaged to me in such a casual manner. Found that super cringy.

I definitely think that in frum fictional stories, wealth is often used as a crutch of sorts to paint an unrealistic and entertaining picture that does not necessarily exist in reality. It's escapism.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 1:58 pm
ALL romance stories are escapism. At least the ones that sell. We start with Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty and work our way up from there.

I once asked a friend why does the heroine always go for the incredibly rich and Adonis-like CEO who is also an Olympic ski champion and a Nobel-winning surgeon with perfect teeth and never the polite, pleasant-looking accountant who lives next door, makes a nice living, is thoughtful and kind, and is easy to look at if not swooningly handsome. (This bugged me because the also-ran always sounds awfully darn good to me. The CEO type is always way too "masterful"--read: controlling.) She said to me "That's why it's called a "romance"--because it's not supposed to be anything like real life.

I want a book in which the heroine dumps the CEO and marries the nice history teacher next door.

farm

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 4:29 pm
I thought the last chapter was incredibly cringey. Maybe I’ll skip this serial.

mikayla18

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 6:05 pm
amother Green wrote:
ALL romance stories are escapism. At least the ones that sell. We start with Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty and work our way up from there.

I once asked a friend why does the heroine always go for the incredibly rich and Adonis-like CEO who is also an Olympic ski champion and a Nobel-winning surgeon with perfect teeth and never the polite, pleasant-looking accountant who lives next door, makes a nice living, is thoughtful and kind, and is easy to look at if not swooningly handsome. (This bugged me because the also-ran always sounds awfully darn good to me. The CEO type is always way too "masterful"--read: controlling.) She said to me "That's why it's called a "romance"--because it's not supposed to be anything like real life.

I want a book in which the heroine dumps the CEO and marries the nice history teacher next door.

Watch any hallmark movie

amother
Aconite

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 6:21 pm
Ari gives me the creeps. He is some sort of narcissist. I really hope Dassi will realize that before making a huge mistake!!! Surprised

amother
Honey

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 10:40 am
Of course she'll realise it. This is a Mishpacha serial, after all - not real life.

But really, if a guy rented a whole restaurant to impress me, I'd run the other way.

Java

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 10:42 am
This story is so over the top lol
But definitely entertaining, and that's what matters

amother
Steel

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 7:07 pm
Java wrote:
This story is so over the top lol
But definitely entertaining, and that's what matters

So entertaining! I love it!

amother
Vanilla

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 3:31 pm
Thought this week's was great, really getting interesting

amother
Aconite

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 5:25 pm
In a way I am relieved that Ari showed his true colors. Hopefully Dassi we'll see the light and recognize that he would be a very dysfunctional person to be married to. Classic abuser.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 5:44 pm
The problem is that Dassi's mother brushed off Dassi's concerns due to her own traumas with her previous husband. Too bad that Dassi doesn't seem to have someone more objective to speak to about her dating!

ruchelbuckle

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 10:21 pm
And then one the friends was like, "should we discuss this with Dassy's mom?" Nooooo! Bad idea.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 10:25 pm
There's romance now? Really glad I stick to Yated

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Feb 24 2023, 7:31 am
ectomorph wrote:
There's romance now? Really glad I stick to Yated

I really wouldn't call it a romance. It's just that it's about 2 friends who are single with a current plot strand that one is in the midst of dating a charming but clearly egotistical guy. With of course family drama otherwise mixed in.
The dialogue does annoy me, that's just not how people talk on dates. It's also not how "older" single girls talk to each other or relate to each other. The scene last week with them pretending to cover their hair so they can shop successfully in a frum trendy store was especially ridiculous. Any older singles who feel uncomfortable in these frum stores where pple stare or ignore them, just don't go to those stores anymore. I wish frum authors who write these type of stories would consult with an actual person in that type of situation or get them to look over their writing before submitting it or something. Because they end up writing caricatures and that's what leads people to make all sorts of weird and off assumptions.

amother
Steel

Post Sat, Feb 25 2023, 3:52 pm
amother Denim wrote:

The dialogue does annoy me, that's just not how people talk on dates.

That's the thing I love best about this serial! I feel like the dialogue is so refreshing and normal as opposed to some of these other serials where all the characters sound the same. These girls sound like real people.

amother
Stone

Post Sat, Feb 25 2023, 7:33 pm
I'm finding the serial very entertaining. I'm bored of stories of regular boring people going through regular boring challenges. Give me funny girls who put on beanies to get better service and the unrealisticly wealthy date with a mysterious background any day.

Loving it!

amother
Denim

Post Sat, Feb 25 2023, 7:34 pm
amother Steel wrote:
That's the thing I love best about this serial! I feel like the dialogue is so refreshing and normal as opposed to some of these other serials where all the characters sound the same. These girls sound like real people.

Well, as someone who lived that lifestyle, dating at that age and older, moving out of my parents' home, having single friends of that age in and out of various shidduch dating, situations, to me the dialogue does not read as real or refreshing. It's very off the mark and artificial sounding. That's just not how girls in that age and stage speak or act IRL, whether it’s on their dates or with their friends.

I understand it may seem refreshing and different to someone who hasn't lived that lifestyle, because it's a bit different than the usual stock characters in a frum story. But maybe that's just a sign that the serials need to branch out a bit more, though generally the best ones are when authors stick to what they know.
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room