Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Baby not walking 16-1/2 months
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 10:09 am
HI! My baby, child number 6 has broken the record in the family for not walking yet at 16-1/2 months. Biggest problem is that I feel like she can do it... meaning she can bear weight on her legs and walks around holding onto stuff but the minute I try to make her stand on her own she folds in her legs... knowing exactly what I want from her and shes just stubborn! When I ask her if she wants to walk she will nod her head that "no"... I find that shes too smart at this age and feels completely comfortable with the way she is. I made a phone call to start applying for early intervention. Does anyone think she will be approved for services or its a waste of my time?

Java

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 10:12 am
Please don't consider early intervention til at least 18 months
My daughter was the exact same story- could walk but didn't want to. She ended up walking a week before 18 months

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 10:13 am
Java wrote:
Please don't consider early intervention til at least 18 months
My daughter was the exact same story- could walk but didn't want to. She ended up walking a week before 18 months

how did you get her to walk then?

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 10:14 am
Your child knows when she is ready. Readiness is more than they physical abilities you have described. There's no need to push her. Leave her be.

Last edited by BrisketBoss on Tue, Feb 28 2023, 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total

Java

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 10:14 am
amother OP wrote:
how did you get her to walk then?

There was no 'getting her to walk' lol. She walked when she was good and ready

mizle10

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 10:15 am
16 1/2 months is not late! Give her time!

amother
White

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 10:18 am
Java wrote:
There was no 'getting her to walk' lol. She walked when she was good and ready

Same! My son started Furniture walking at 11 months and I was just waiting for him to walk and he was flying around holding onto chairs and couches and walls but he would never let go.
The fact that he was holding on and walking meant that there was nothing wrong with his muscles and it was just a fear and at about 18 months he let go and started walking.
If your child is still not letting go at 19 months then you might want to speak to someone just to figure out a way to encourage them to get over that fear.

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 10:19 am
I understand it feels different when you have had other children and they weren't like this. But seriously--there's no problem here.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 10:21 am
op here...
I just feel like the summer is coming and she wants to join the children outside but she cant crawl on the pavement and would love to help here to start walking since I feel like shes almost almost there....

amother
Impatiens

BrisketBoss wrote:
Your child knows when she is ready. Readiness is more than they physical abilities you have described. There's no need to push her. Leave her be.

This

ima22

My son started at 17 months. He never walked single steps, he basically was running around an airport one day after he took his first steps. But he did qualify for early intervention and benefited greatly from it. Trust your gut and these things move slowly, so you may as well get started.

amother
Impatiens

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 10:23 am
amother OP wrote:
op here...
I just feel like the summer is coming and she wants to join the children outside but she cant crawl on the pavement and would love to help here to start walking since I feel like shes almost almost there....

So much can happen until summer. My late walker surprised us one morning by just starting to walk fully, she so didn't look like she'll start walking yet.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 10:24 am
op here...
Im talking here about a real stubborn mule...
shes stubborn with just about EVERYTHING!

mizle10

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 10:25 am
amother OP wrote:
op here...

It's Febuary Smile

scintilla

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 10:25 am
Normal age for starting walking is 12-18 months, and some can start earlier or later and still be fine. You can call early intervention, they should be able to tell you if it's even worth an eval, but in the meantime, can you borrow a push walker from someone and see if they would go for it? That's what my baby needed to get them to let go, a good few weeks with the push walker. They were the same as you are describing, I knew they could do it but they just wouldn't let go, also very stubborn! Bh a neighbor lent me a push walker and pretty soon after that they were off.

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 10:41 am
amother OP wrote:
op here...
Im talking here about a real stubborn mule...
shes stubborn with just about EVERYTHING!

Just a friendly hint--you might not think of her as stubborn if you stopped trying to 'get her' to do stuff. She is being completely developmentally appropriate.

Toddlers are simple. If something needs to happen, you are in charge of making it happen. She is too little to be responsible or to stop you. If it's something like this that you want her to do but you can't actually force it? Just relax and let go. She will do it when she knows she is ready.

amother
Begonia

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 10:42 am
Don't push her. I have four children and my earliest walker with 16 months. My last baby just started walking at 2. She will do when she is ready.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 10:54 am
My baby started walking at 19 months I was also nervous abt the summer but bh she finally decided she was going to do it. Before that she only felt comfortable letting go when wearing specific pajamas with feet, now she likes walking around barefoot

amother
SandyBrown

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 11:41 am
amother OP wrote:
HI! My baby, child number 6 has broken the record in the family for not walking yet at 16-1/2 months. Biggest problem is that I feel like she can do it... meaning she can bear weight on her legs and walks around holding onto stuff but the minute I try to make her stand on her own she folds in her legs... knowing exactly what I want from her and shes just stubborn! When I ask her if she wants to walk she will nod her head that "no"... I find that shes too smart at this age and feels completely comfortable with the way she is. I made a phone call to start applying for early intervention. Does anyone think she will be approved for services or its a waste of my time?

I applied for early intervention at 15.5 months, and at around 16.5 months we were called for an intake meeting. At that meeting the social worker went to ask the PT if she had a few minutes to examine baby. The examination must've sparked something because later that day baby took a few steps, and from there it took off.

I really do recommend early intervention, it is painless, and you learn a lot, and at this age every month and even every week is a huge difference. The gaps will only grow with time, the sooner you start the better. And if by the time you get in you don't need it, that's great, but these things take a few months to process so you did the right thing by calling up now.

tichellady

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 11:55 am
if she's not walking by 18 months you should have a pt consultation. apply for it now because it may take some time to schedule the appointment . she's probably fine and there isn't an issue but I think it's good parenting to check things out. you can always cancel the appointment if she's progressing between then and now
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics