Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Don't care for name dh cares deeply about
Previous  1  2

amother
Outerspace

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 10:20 am
If it means so much to dh & you don’t hate it, I'd say go for it. Maybe for a legal name chose a name without the "ch".

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 11:20 am
fwiw there is a name that I really really wanted to name my last baby and my husband was just not into it. He did. not. like it or want it or get why I liked it so much.
At the last moment he was like ok fine if you want it but I didn't because I knew he was just giving in because we couldn't decide on anything else. We ended up choosing another name and I still dream about my next child and how THAT one will be called this name.

It is hard to NOT give a name you love even if there is ruach hakodesh etc. I would say compromise. Maybe add a name or find a nickname you both like.

amother
Hunter

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 3:00 pm
My husbands grandfather passed away a few months before I gave birth. I really don’t like the name but my husband was very close to him and being that my grandfathers are bh alive, I decided to give him the honor of having his grandfathers name. I still don’t love the name but there is something special about my son being named after his grandfather, having his bris in the same shul where his grandfather sat for 50 years, and living two blocks away from where his grandfather lived.

amother
Lightgray

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 4:39 pm
amother Hunter wrote:
My husbands grandfather passed away a few months before I gave birth. I really don’t like the name but my husband was very close to him and being that my grandfathers are bh alive, I decided to give him the honor of having his grandfathers name. I still don’t love the name but there is something special about my son being named after his grandfather, having his bris in the same shul where his grandfather sat for 50 years, and living two blocks away from where his grandfather lived.

Similar. We named my baby after my husband's great-grandfather. He had never been named for because he lived such a long life, the grandchildren who would have named for him were long done having children when he was niftar. We really didn't have a choice.

The name is very blah and so not me. But I named it because it means SO much to husband and all my in-laws. It is definitely not a name he'll ever be embarrassed of, even though its not my taste.

It has yet to grow on me, but even though I like my other children's names so much better, it really doesn't affect the loving relationship I have with my baby.

If you can find it within you to do it, I'd recommend you give your husband and his family this gift.

amother
Snowflake

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 4:51 pm
I gave a name I really really didnt like. it's a common name but I just really disliked it. I gave it anyway to make dh life easier and to show respect to my elders aka in laws, grandparent...
by now, I don't love it, but I'm fine with it. I love my baby so much and the name grew on me because of that. I don't love the name but I'm over the real dislike n don't even think about it.

if you don't really hate it, I think it's respectful and considerate to consider your dh and let him "have his way".

amother
Buttercup

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 4:52 pm
I’d find out the gender, unless that will be a point of conflict too. On one hand, you may not have to worry about using this name at all. On the other, if it is going to get this name (which is sounds like you’ve decided is the case?) it will give you time to get used to the idea of this baby as your Chezky or whatever ches name it is.

As far as nicknames go, what about initials? There are a couple little kids in my neighborhood who are called by a nickname that comes from their initials. Think Ephraim Zev becoming Ezzy or Chaim Mordechai being called Chaimo. Could you do something like that to make it more palatable?

SG18

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 5:20 pm
I agree with finding out the gender. Better to know now and come to terms with it if it is that gender. If it isn't, you won't have to think about it at all, instead of agonizing for months.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names