Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Baby not walking 16-1/2 months
Previous  1  2

amother
Strawberry

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 9:20 am
amother OP wrote:
op here...
Im talking here about a real stubborn mule...
shes stubborn with just about EVERYTHING!

At some, something will make her think it’s worth it to start walking and that will give her the push to start, I don’t think anything you do will make a big difference.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 9:53 am
amother OP wrote:
op here...
Im talking here about a real stubborn mule...
shes stubborn with just about EVERYTHING!

Stubborn is good.
She will do her thing in her own pace. Not your pace.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 10:22 am
You can inquire if there is a PT center in your neighborhood that takes insurance.
It is much simpler to get approved for that.

Way faster than EI thru BOE.

Rabbit613

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 11:10 am
I was told that before 18 months it's not considered delayed not to walk.

amother
Tuberose

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 11:25 am
It's still within the range of normal and you probably won't qualify for EI.
My first two started walking at around 18-19 months. Surprisingly my third started walking at like 13 months .
Don't push it. She will walk when she is ready.

mizle10

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 11:42 am
tichellady wrote:
if she's not walking by 18 months you should have a pt consultation. apply for it now because it may take some time to schedule the appointment . she's probably fine and there isn't an issue but I think it's good parenting to check things out. you can always cancel the appointment if she's progressing between then and now

There's nothing about checking something out that's completly within the range of normal that makes you a good parent. If you want to check it out for your own peace of mind go ahead, but that's for you not the child.

devo1982

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 11:51 am
Call EI and self-refer. At most they'll tell you she's just fine and to wait her out, or she'll qualify for services and then you can decide whether you want to use them or not. There's no harm in doing it, so I wouldn't wait.

tichellady

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 12:37 pm
mizle10 wrote:
There's nothing about checking something out that's completly within the range of normal that makes you a good parent. If you want to check it out for your own peace of mind go ahead, but that's for you not the child.

I disagree. I think that not walking by 18 months means something may be wrong. unless the op is a physical therapist she may not be aware that there is a problem. most children do want to walk.

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 12:42 pm
tichellady wrote:
I disagree. I think that not walking by 18 months means something may be wrong. unless the op is a physical therapist she may not be aware that there is a problem. most children do want to walk.

They do want to walk, they just have their own timelines for it.

tichellady

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 1:28 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
They do want to walk, they just have their own timelines for it.

I'm not sure why what I am writing is controversial. op asked a question and I answered. I have experience with this. I am happy I did a pt consult at 18 months for my child. that's all. op will obviously choose to do whatever she wants with all this information

amother
Buttercup

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 1:31 pm
My 2nd started walking at 18 months. She was talking at a year - saying phrases - was by far my most verbal child.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 6:06 pm
tichellady wrote:

I'm on team 'let them develop at their own pace', but it depends as well on the entire picture.

My just 16 month old also isn't walking and sounds very much like OPs child - folds his legs as soon as I leave go - but, he's walking very well holding on, climbing everywhere as well (climbing on and off beds etc.) so I really don't see anything to worry about. He just doesn't feel ready to let go yet for some reason, and that's fine.

If they don't seem to be developing in general, then that could be a cause for concern. But, just not walking in itself isn't an indication of anything.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 7:06 pm
tichellady wrote:
I'm not sure why what I am writing is controversial. op asked a question and I answered. I have experience with this. I am happy I did a pt consult at 18 months for my child. that's all. op will obviously choose to do whatever she wants with all this information

You are completely right, because if OP waits until dc is 18 months and not walking then it will be even longer until she can get services if needed.

amother
Begonia

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 7:58 pm
You can get her evaluated. I had my son evaluated but he didn't qualify even though he was 20 months and not walking on his own. My 2 year old started walking a week before she turned two but she was in physical therapy since 8 months. (She had major surgery as a baby and lost tummy time and didn't learn to roll over/crawl etc)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics