Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
How to help ds take his meds independently

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 12:51 am
He's already a 10th grader and can't remember to take his adhd meds without me or dh reminding. He has to take before school and a booster dose later afterwards. He hates being reminded and snaps at us about it, but without the reminders, does not remember most of the time.

Alarms do nothing (they go off and he shuts them without realizing or finishes what he was doing and never goes back), nor does tying it to a routine- he stops in the middle to do something else, or he does whatever comes before it, remembers that meds are next, doesn't do it, but thinks later that he did. He really wants to take these meds, and has a hard time with schoolwork without them. He also wants to know how he can remember in his own so we can get off his back. Any tips?

amother
Offwhite

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 1:31 am
Leave them somewhere very obvious? Mine are right next to my contacts. If I want to see in the morning, I also remember to take my meds. Could they go next to his wallet, keys, or tefillin bag? Or maybe there’s a specific pocket in his backpack that he always uses in the morning, like where he puts his lunch or his pen pocket?

Afternoon dose is trickier. I assume it’s being taken in school? If so, is it held in the office and could he make it a habit in his day to go there close to the scheduled timing? Ie if lunch is near the office, he gets in the habit of stopping every day after lunch. Or if he has to pass the office to get between two classes, that can be his reminder to stop? He can ask a friend to remind him to stop for a few days until he gets the habit down. Working through these questions to find a timing/reminder will help him remember and give him the ownership of it.

imasinger

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 4:53 am
It's the irony of ADHD that if someone is good at remembering and doing the details, they probably wouldn't be needing the meds they forget to take.

Check out whether you can do an extended release so that you don't have to worry about the booster.

Build a morning routine where meds are part of it, put up a checklist of what has to happen in the mornings. Offer a meaningful reward for completing the checklist. Start small -- reward one or two days with no prompts from you, then gradually increase.

It's worth it to build this important lifelong habit!

FeetOnTheGround

Post Mon, Apr 24 2023, 2:08 pm
A watch with a vibrating alarm can be helpful for this. It’s helpful and private. Also, keeping meds in a daily dispenser helps. Easy to see if meds were taken. I suggest having the med taker say the day aloud (or in their head) to make sure they are taking from the correct day.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)