Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Can we talk about the Ruach Ami Series?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 5:30 pm
Which is your favorite book in the series?
Does anyone like the revised version better than the original??

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 5:37 pm
For those who don't connect it, these would be the Pulichever books (renamed "Stroudsburg" for the later set.)

Re revised vs original, it depends on the book. For pure history's sake, I really learned about tach v'tat and the Shabtai Tzvi periods from these books. The rebuilding times after both of these were things I hadn't thought of and appreciated learning about. And it really emphasized for me the instability the Jews lived under in Europe at thay time.

The Marrano Prince frustrated me, but it was because I could see things really happening that way for most people- it was a brave thing to do.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 6:02 pm
amother Blonde wrote:
For those who don't connect it, these would be the Pulichever books (renamed "Stroudsburg" for the later set.)

Re revised vs original, it depends on the book. For pure history's sake, I really learned about tach v'tat and the Shabtai Tzvi periods from these books. The rebuilding times after both of these were things I hadn't thought of and appreciated learning about. And it really emphasized for me the instability the Jews lived under in Europe at thay time.

The Marrano Prince frustrated me, but it was because I could see things really happening that way for most people- it was a brave thing to do.

Thank you for engaging!
Firstly, it's the Strasbourg series.
Second, I'm not understanding what you mean with the original vs revised. Are you saying you learned more history in the revised?
The original of the year of the Sword (tach v'tat) and the Imposter describe those eras.
I can't say I remember what was added to each of these books.

JGold

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 6:15 pm
To me the original versions were perfect. I didn’t enjoy the revised editions as much.

I am amazed at the author’s ability to draw me in to an Imaginary world. Almost like Harry Potter (obviously not on the same level)

If he could write more….

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 6:28 pm
This was one of my favorite series growing up! Especially the original ones. I read them over and over many times. Didn't really care for the "sequels" that came out later.

freilich

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 7:16 am
A favorite but full of nightmares. I couldn't get over the rebbetzin being poisoned. Pulichever dynasty indeed!

seeker

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 7:22 am
I didn't read all of the originals and I only read one of the updates but for that one I preferred the original. I didn't really see the point in changing it, and the revised felt longer and more cumbersome to me. I should probably buy up the originals used somewhere before it's too late for my kids.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 7:43 am
I actually feel really sad for the author. He went and put so much time, effort and money to revise the series and I don't think anyone likes the new version better.
Most people I know think the first series were perfect and the revised adds unnecessary conversation an dbackground information.
I especially disliked the extra information amnd "backstory" in the Promised Child.

The imposter sparked a lifelong fascination for me with the life of Shabbetai Tzvi.
Also, the year of the sword is incredible.
As a child I loved Twilight. I was so fascinated by the return of the friend (I forget his name.)
I also think that the Purple Ring was such a delicious mystery.

In the new series, I appreciated the book about the Chacham Tzvi.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 7:51 am
This is my favorite book series. I grew up on the originals, reading them by 10 years old, and they are implanted in my heart. The Purple Ring was my first book and I remember being scared of the masked man.
I've reread them many times as an adult and even read them to my kids to encourage them to read.

I've recently started to read the revised editions, the first two were okay. I appreciated the new content. Next is the year of the sword and I don't think I can pick it up. I definitely won't read it on shabbos. It hurts too much to read what it was like, village after village being slaughtered and burned. Maybe in the summer when I have more free time.

These are not books to take for granted. They are so educational and they feel so real.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room