Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Formula Feeding
Nursing friendly formula

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 10:38 pm
What formula would be the best for a nursing baby? It would be one bottle a day, the rest would be nursing. Baby aprx 10 months old, so this only has to last for two months until I’m not nursing and baby can drink cows milk.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 10:42 pm
I used kendamil. Then switched to materna when kendamil was no longer available.
Baby takes it fine. One bottle a day.
Question is-was your baby nursing exclusively till now?
If yes, may be an issue of having them eat any formula.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 10:50 pm
Yes, first time having formula. Why is that a problem? Trying to find the most gentle option.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 10:51 pm
I’ve used formula with other babies. I’m asking specifically if anyone has any experience with this situation and knows which one out there will likely the best match for a baby not used to formula.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 11:09 pm
there is no such thing as a formula that would be the best for a nursing baby- because nursing is completely different then formula
once you switch over your giving them formula which has different chemicals and artificial hormones that don't exist in breastmilk so no matter which one you give them, they are still getting those

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 12:27 am
Obviously… the question isn’t whether formula is a choice or not. The question is which one.

Raindance

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 2:12 am
Maybe you could express some mothers milk and then mix with formula for a couple of days, to make transitioning easier for baby?

amother
Yarrow

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 3:13 am
It depends on the kid is the short answer. My kids were never picky about the taste of any formula even when I mostly nursed and only gave a bottle or two or formula a day.
See if you can get samples from your Dr or buy the smallest container you can find to try it out.
One of my kids only drank it super warm and the other ice cold so it may take trial and error.

If baby's 10 months already and it's only 1 bottle a day , you might be able to do cows milk already- talk to your Dr.
Alternatively, ask about toddler formula which apparently tastes better

amother
DarkYellow

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 3:34 am
You can start one bottle a day of cows milk at ten months already if you want to do that

Or just drop a feeding and add a meal of solid food

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 3:44 am
amother OP wrote:
What formula would be the best for a nursing baby? It would be one bottle a day, the rest would be nursing. Baby aprx 10 months old, so this only has to last for two months until I’m not nursing and baby can drink cows milk.

I’ve nursed and given formula for a few months now. My baby is almost 4 months old. I’ve only used materna, and he takes it very nicely

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 6:52 am
Thank you. I guess I was wondering if there’s a specific type of formula that is supposed to be the most gentle…
(And about replacing it with a meal, baby already eats 3 meals a day and needs the milk/fluids).

amother
Wallflower

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 6:54 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you. I guess I was wondering if there’s a specific type of formula that is supposed to be the most gentle…
(And about replacing it with a meal, baby already eats 3 meals a day and needs the milk/fluids).

Every baby handles a different formula. My baby only takes Similac sensitive. There's no 1 formula that's best and good for all babies.
Kendamil and materna are supposed to be very good. Though if your baby eats full meals & still nurses, then she probably doesn't need the nutrition from formula.

amother
Thistle

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 6:58 am
I'm not sure if you're aware that there's a formula shortage. You may need to choose from what's available. Currently, materna seems to be easiest to get, followed by Similac. You may want to try those first since you don't want to keep changing formulas.

In general, kendamil seems to be tolerated best. However, it's been out of stock for months

eagle

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 7:59 am
I also introduced formula at 10 months to my baby.
He transitioned well with this formula

https://www.happyfamilyorganic.....mula/
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Formula Feeding