Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Bar mitzva & siyum for DS

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 8:32 am
My son is learning mishnayos hoping to make a siyum at his bar mitzva.
What can we do for him or get him to celebrate this big achievement?

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 8:38 am
amother OP wrote:
My son is learning mishnayos hoping to make a siyum at his bar mitzva.
What can we do for him or get him to celebrate this big achievement?

How are you celebrating his bar mitzvah?

amother
Bellflower

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 8:56 am
Mazel Tov! My son also had his Bar Mitzvah recently and made a siyum on all of mishnayos. Our "gift" to him is that we made a beautiful seudah/siyum for our family and his friends on his Bo Bayom. He did not expect a separate gift from us. The seudah/siyum is a big deal.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 9:14 am
We r planning a nice seuda for the bar mitzva.
He is not expecting anything for this siyum.
We are really proud of him & the goal he set for himself & we want to commemorate that.
Something besides the actual bar mitzva.

amother
Narcissus

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 9:15 am
Would he appreciate a good quality bike? (like in the 800 range)

What's your budget? Maybe you can treat him to a trip to EY.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 9:23 am
A family member of mine recently had this and they brought out a special dessert table by bo bayom.
My son loved it so much that he requested it by his for his siyum.

amother
Bone

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 9:42 am
My son is making a siyum at his BM too, it didn't occur to me to get him a separate gift as the whole BM event is already one big "gift".
But you got me thinking. Maybe it would be nice to do something a little extra. I like the idea of a special dessert / dessert table in addition to whatever is already being served.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 9:49 am
What about a set of machzorim with his name or a set of mishnayes. I think sefarim more appropriate for bar mitzva present than a camera or bike

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 11:23 am
amother Burlywood wrote:
What about a set of machzorim with his name or a set of mishnayes. I think sefarim more appropriate for bar mitzva present than a camera or bike

He'll be getting plenty of sforim as gifts.

Op, what is your budget here?

I think most people consider the entire party plus items bought for the boy for his wardrobe and tefilin PLUS all the gifts they get as a result of the party to be sufficient.

I would only supplement if I knew ds wanted something specific that he will not get as a gift anyway, and even then, I'd have to want to spend the $$$.

Alternatively, I might want to gift if ds is really not a learner and this was a big lift. In that case I would NOT buy a sefer!

If you want something small and heartfelt, to just put a bow on the entire milestone: I usually buy my sons a new siddur as part of this whole thing anyway (though they start to use it w their tefilin),, You can write a nice note inside, maybe upgrade to leather if you feel you must buy him a gift. Wrap it and hand it to him at the bo byom or right before.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 11:29 am
amother Bone wrote:
My son is making a siyum at his BM too, it didn't occur to me to get him a separate gift as the whole BM event is already one big "gift".
But you got me thinking. Maybe it would be nice to do something a little extra. I like the idea of a special dessert / dessert table in addition to whatever is already being served.

Here's the thing, will your son look at the sweet table as a special gift for his siyum accomplishment or just another aspect of this party (which I look at as already a gift for his accomplishments).

I love sweet tables, and have them myself but how would you convey to your son that it's a gift? Other than if you wouldn't have made one but he asked and you said, " you know what, I'm so proud of your siyum I'll add this on"

And if your next son does not make a siyum you won't have a sweet table? How will that go over?

amother
Bone

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 1:03 pm
amother Oxfordblue wrote:
Here's the thing, will your son look at the sweet table as a special gift for his siyum accomplishment or just another aspect of this party (which I look at as already a gift for his accomplishments).

I love sweet tables, and have them myself but how would you convey to your son that it's a gift? Other than if you wouldn't have made one but he asked and you said, " you know what, I'm so proud of your siyum I'll add this on"

And if your next son does not make a siyum you won't have a sweet table? How will that go over?

He's my last BM iy"h so no next son jealousy. I wouldn't do a sweet table as I'm doing that anyway and it's not something for him. But I'm thinking maybe they bring out like a cake or something that says Mazel tov on your siyum.
Or maybe I won't do anything Very Happy . My son is a strong learner and the fact that he's making a siyum on its own is exciting and accomplishing for him. I definitely wouldn't do a physical gift he'll get plenty of those from participants.
Just saying that this thread made me think.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics