Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Online Hebrew/Jewish classes high schooler

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 03 2023, 11:51 am
I live OOT in a small Jewish community that has limited educational choices for high schoolers. For various reasons I won’t go into here, the local yeshivah high school is not necessarily the best fit for my teen son for next year. I don’t want to send my teen away. A local public high school may possibly be a better fit for my teen next school year & I’m currently researching options.

If my teen ends up switching to a public high school, I want my teen to continue with Hebrew and Judaic studies. I’d appreciate any links to online Hebrew and Judaic high school classes or programs that you could possibly recommend. I’d just like to research what options are available. Programs that provide high school and/or college credit would be great. also would appreciate any referrals for hiring a private tutor to supplement Hebrew/Judaic education (someone who can do online like via zoom).

Also, would love to connect with other parents who have sent their sons to public school & get your advice.

Please NO BASHING or negative comments about looking at public school options. There are unique circumstances for my teen & family and I need to do what is best for everyone involved.

animeme

Post Fri, Mar 03 2023, 12:18 pm
https://melamedacademy.com/

accountantmommy

Post Fri, Mar 03 2023, 1:32 pm
I believe Cteen/chabad has some options. My little brother is in public school and he had some friends doing a class through cteens about judaism that got them college credit through YU that they could transfer elsewhere. Maybe contact your local chabad rabbi for some options. If you have NCSY in your town there also may be a JSU club your son could look into at his school.

ETA: here is the link: cteenu.com

Looks like they have this all over so I wonder if they would have this in your town

Petra

Post Sat, Mar 04 2023, 5:12 pm
One of my DDs did a class in the summer through Lookstein Virtual Academy when she was in middle school. She liked it. They have a high school curriculum as well. My impression is that many of the courses are about more of the big picture concepts but maybe some of them go in-depth.

Also one of my DDs did have some tutoring through Naaleh Torah Tutors. torahtutors@naaleh.com. Only difficulty was arranging time because we were in the states and tutor was in Israel but it could have been because of the particular tutor.

A few kids in our neighborhood go to public HS. They are involved in CTeen and also NCSY.

TwinsMommy

Post Sat, Mar 04 2023, 9:01 pm
My son is 16 and has never been in a Jewish school--- he has pretty intense special needs. He's never done an online program--- we just teach him what we feel he needs to know at home to whet his appetite to learn further throughout life. Don't discount learning with Abba/Totty---- it's less intense than Yeshiva but builds a love for learning. With my kid I don't care how much he learns as long as he enjoys it and will learn throughout his life.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Sat, Mar 04 2023, 9:10 pm
Try https://www.nigrijewishonlines.....ewish
They have an online Jewish school. They have options for one on one classes or groups.

Mermaidinexile

Post Sat, Mar 04 2023, 9:43 pm
I know an excellent private tutor who teaches jewish studies over zoom. pm me for her info.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children