Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Mishloach Manos at Work

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 10:58 am
I'm a manager at a large firm. I don't give mishloach manos to colleagues because once I start there is no end to the list of people to give to. I also don't want to create pressure for my employees to feel they need to give to me.
This year a new employee sent MM.
I'd like to thank her. If I return MM then I need to give to all the employees on my team, and then they will feel pressure to give back to me. I don't want to start with that.
Should I give her a thank you note? How should I respond with gratitude without starting a precedent?

amother
Tuberose

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 11:01 am
You can send her an email

Simple1

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 11:08 am
Many companies give Mishloach Manos to all employees to show appreciation and create good feelings towards their workplace. Is this done by the firm?

Where I have worked, one employee will collect and give a group MM to mangers, directors, etc. we didn’t expect anything in return other than the one given out to everyone.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 11:16 am
Simple1 wrote:
Many companies give Mishloach Manos to all employees to show appreciation and create good feelings towards their workplace. Is this done by the firm?

Where I have worked, one employee will collect and give a group MM to mangers, directors, etc. we didn’t expect anything in return other than the one given out to everyone.

We show appreciation at various times during the year through firm funds but not related to purim.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 12:34 pm
I would just send a email thanking her.
No need to send back a mm,

BatyaEsther

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 1:13 pm
Thank you note.
If you can do a hand written card, it is nicer than email.

Simple1

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 1:53 pm
amother OP wrote:
We show appreciation at various times during the year through firm funds but not related to purim.

Why not do it Purim too? Order some kind of container in bulk. Could be something useful like a water bottle, mug, make up bag, or cutting board, etc. Stick in two items, have the secretary pack and distribute. A little can go a long way to keep employees happy.

Simple1

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 1:58 pm
Where I live it’s common to get Mm from the owner, so it might be considered a slight not to. It may be different where you are.

SweetMouse

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 2:02 pm
You can bring in a platter of something before or after Purim in lieu of mishloach manos to share with everyone. You can say something like "we don't usually give mm to each other at work because <reasons> but I wanted to express my appreciation to all of you and share in the purim spirit"

I would speak with owners to give a token mm to all employees. It is considered pretty standard in most frum workplaces.

amother
Sage

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 2:09 pm
I would probably consider giving a communal platter of something, whether it's pastries, chocolates or sweets. So it's acknowledging everyone without singling anyone out in particular. I think employees appreciate being thought of and given gestures to show that they are valued and appreciated.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics