Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Can someone please explain this to me ?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 1:55 pm
So I am not sure where this is coming from , but for some reason it disturbs me a bit and I wanted to know what the explanation is...
Bh we hosts seudos on purim and sometimes people come a few min before shkiya to wash (and most an hour or two before) and the seuda just keeps on going and people are enjoyim "purim" when it's not purim anymore and its already nightfall..
It doesn't bother me that people are having a fun time or are staying by us but more kind of like.. whats the point .. the mitzva of MM , ML , and seauda and even to get drunk (if you hold of it) are over already.. Like I never see people going overtime on shabbos singing shabbos songs when it's over , nor do I see people eating matza motzei pesach with the intention of they are doing a mitzva of eating matza etc..there is a 24-26 hour period of time where you can cash in on the inspiration of purim and that is that... once that time passed it's over .. back to regular day..If you really want to utilize the oppurtunity the daven netz and use your day..
The end of the day I am sure most of you will say people want to have a good time but it just seems a bit funny for me as people act as if it's still purim..
(and BTW I love it those few years when purim falls out erev shabbos because it proves my point..)

amother
Green

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 1:57 pm
The reason is because there’s a minhag for the seudah to carry into Shushan Purim

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 1:57 pm
some people dont have a chance to get to all the grandparents during the day that they are still showing up when its dark

also shkiah is pretty early in regards to eating supper in between all the hecticness

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 2:01 pm
amother Green wrote:
The reason is because there’s a minhag for the seudah to carry into Shushan Purim
interesting, where is this brought down?

amother
Green

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 2:04 pm
amother OP wrote:
interesting, where is this brought down?

Honestly not sure. I just asked my first year celebrating purim to my kiruv Rebbetzin and that’s the answer I got

behappy2

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 2:08 pm
Actually there is an inyan right after pesach to eat chometz.

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 2:09 pm
I dont know where you have been

My husband has been to many tish ( chasidish seudos ) where shalosh seudos goes 3-4 hours after the zman

Highstrung

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 2:10 pm
There is definitely an inyan to wash right before shkiah and have the Seuda go on into the night. That’s the proper way to do it.

***actually Im wrong according to this :
https://dinonline.org/2021/02/.....udah/

I grew up being makpid to start the Seuda late . But this was a second Seuda for us. We made one around noon time and then right before shkiah we washed for the second one.

Last edited by Highstrung on Sun, Mar 05 2023, 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 2:13 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:

My husband has been to many tish ( chasidish seudos ) where shalosh seudos goes 3-4 hours after the zman

This. Very common in chassidish circles to stretch things out.

imaima

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 2:16 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:

I am also familiar with stretching shabbes

SweetMouse

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 2:17 pm
I know many people who extend an erev shabbos purim seuda into shabbos. They take a quick break midway to light candles and make kiddush and then keep on going.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 3:23 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:

lol was gonna say this, when my husband goes to a Tish, shalashidis could be over at 11pm!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 3:30 pm
amother Slateblue wrote:
lol was gonna say this, when my husband goes to a Tish, shalashidis could be over at 11pm!
well if that's the story I rest my case.. It is really something to be proud of not to rush to electricity Motzei Shabbos.. kol halavod to those special people..

amother
Cognac

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 3:33 pm
We wash for a 2nd purim meal right before shekia.

amother
Thistle

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 11:23 am
I saw a beautiful concept shared from Rebbetzin Avital Chizhik Goldshmidt based on a shiur that Estee Friedman-Stefansky shared in a shiur on shabbos in their shul.
She shared a Insight from Rav Hutner and I quote from her Instagram story:

Quote:
We know that Purim is such a holy day that it is, according to the Talmud, one of the two holidays we will always have.
Yet the holiday has no havdala, no transition ritual to mark its end.
Rav Hutner says this is because we try to have Purim stay with us forever. We want Purim to gently fade into the next day.
The "holiness" of Purim is one that we can carry with us into the workweek, into our daily material lives.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 11:56 am
I once saw the following cute story in Parsha Potpourri by Rabbi Ozer Alport:

It’s not so well-known, but the Rema paskens in Shulchan Aruch ורוב הסעודה צריכה להיות ביום – the majority of the Purim סעודה has to be eaten by day, while it’s still Purim. A גלח once challenged Rav Yonason Eibeshutz to explain why the minhag of so many Jewish families is to start their סעודה just before שקיעה and eat most of the meal at night, after Purim is already over.

Rav Yonason, who was renowned for his sharp wit, responded with a question of his own. He told the גלח that the most popular holiday in your religion is on December 25, so why do so many of your people start their celebrations and festivities the night before? Now that the tables were turned and the priest was on the defensive, Rav Yonason proceeded to answer both questions.

He told the גלח that the holiday they’re observing commemorates the birth of a Jew, so it’s only proper to use the Jewish day and start at sunset the night before, while on Purim we celebrate the downfall of Haman who was a [gentile], so it’s only appropriate for our סעודה to be based on the non-Jewish day and continue well into the night!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics