Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
"Simchas purim" tuesday night after shkiya - explain

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 10:43 am
I'm a BT and don't know lots of things and saw something I've never seen before. a yeshivish place is having a "simchas purim" after shkiya on tuesday night. can someone explain what's going on. this is in the US, not israel where there is shushan purim. I don't get why the party is happening after purim is essentially over. thanks and sorry if this is a dumb question.

amother
Seablue

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 10:49 am
amother OP wrote:
I'm a BT and don't know lots of things and saw something I've never seen before. a yeshivish place is having a "simchas purim" after shkiya on tuesday night. can someone explain what's going on. this is in the US, not israel where there is shushan purim. I don't get why the party is happening after purim is essentially over. thanks and sorry if this is a dumb question.

We traditionally have 3 seudahs on purim.
At night, in the morning, and the "mishteh yayin" seudah which is at Shkiya

amother
Currant

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 10:50 am
The celebration continues late into the night of Purim even though technically purim is "over" because it's after maariv.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 10:54 am
amother Currant wrote:
The celebration continues late into the night of Purim even though technically purim is "over" because it's after maariv.

I get that part. I've been to community seudahs that go really late, but they start in the afternoon. but why is this party *starting* so late though?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 10:57 am
amother Seablue wrote:
We traditionally have 3 seudahs on purim.
At night, in the morning, and the "mishteh yayin" seudah which is at Shkiya

is this universal? at most post-megillah break fast I've been to, there's not usually bread/washing but of course plentiful food.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 10:59 am
amother OP wrote:

Well I'm FFB and I've never heard of this
I've also never heard of 3 seudas on purim. We do 1.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 11:02 am
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....03982

Op see this ..

amother
Lightcoral

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 11:12 am
We have a later meal at 6 and then a Shushan Purim meal once men come home from tish.

amother
Currant

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 11:14 am
amother OP wrote:
I get that part. I've been to community seudahs that go really late, but they start in the afternoon. but why is this party *starting* so late though?

They are probably waiting for people to finish their seudahs.

amother
Seablue

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 11:15 am
amother OP wrote:
is this universal? at most post-megillah break fast I've been to, there's not usually bread/washing but of course plentiful food.

I don't know.
By we traditionally I meant that has been my families tradition growing up

amother
Seablue

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 11:24 am
I saw a beautiful concept shared from Rebbetzin Avital Chizhik Goldshmidt based on a shiur that Estee Friedman-Stefansky shared in a shiur on shabbos in their shul.
She shared a Insight from Rav Hutner and I quote from her Instagram story:

Quote:
We know that Purim is such a holy day that it is, according to the Talmud, one of the two holidays we will always have.
Yet the holiday has no havdala, no transition ritual to mark its end.
Rav Hutner says this is because we try to have Purim stay with us forever. We want Purim to gently fade into the next day.
The "holiness" of Purim is one that we can carry with us into the workweek, into our daily material lives.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics