Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Interesting Purim Trivia
Previous  1  2  3  Next

b.chadash

Post Sat, Mar 04 2023, 10:34 pm
amother Denim wrote:
Are you sure it's 45? I heard a different shiur that it's 54 Esthers and 54 Hamans. And 4 Zeresh's and 58 Mordechais (54+4). And 54 letters in the names of Aseres B'nei Haman. And 54 words in the Purim Al Hanissim.

Yes, you are right . It's 54. (See my transcription of the shiur) I corrected it.

Mindy F

Post Sat, Mar 04 2023, 11:32 pm
Just watched Very cool discussion on the Raizy Fried app - watch.raizyfried.com Embodying Esther Hamalkah. Very practical lessons & down to earth

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 12:39 am
b.chadash wrote:
Ok. So, as I was looking for the shiur on Torah Anytime, I remembered that I had once typed up this shiur somewhere. I did a quick search and found it here in Imamother. I copied and pasted it for those of you who like to read. (But, upon rereading it, I think I did not do justice to the shiur in my writing the summary. )
So here is is, and I will b"n link the shiur when I find it.

_____
Ok here's an interesting thing I learned last year. It's very much simplified and I don't know if 8 year olds can appreciate it. But maybe some older kids (and ladies) could. When I heard it, it actually blew my mind.

We know that every word in the megilla counts. If you miss even one word, you haven't been yotzei..this is a unique halacha. Now let's examine something fascinating:
Q. How many times is Haman mentioned in the megilla?
A. 54.
Q. How many times is Esther mentioned in megilla?
A. 54
Q. How many words are in the tefilla we say on Purim "veyihi be'yemei Mordechai v'Esther"?
A. 54
Q. How many words from Aseres bnei Haman until Vayezasa?
A. 54.
Hmmm. Interesting. (If you don't believe this, feel free to count!)
Now there is a perek in Tehillim, I think 104 which talks about Haman. It has a very unusual word- its unique in all of Tanach. The word is Azai. That's gematria 18. It appears 3 times in the perek. That totals 54. Plus, the number of words in that kapital is 54 as well!

Coincidence?
What's the deal with the number 54?

What did Amalek seek to destroy? Amalek came to introduce doubt in Hashem.
We counteract that with 54. How?

The first paragraph in Shema and Baruch Shem also has 54 words. Shema is the tefila that proclaims Hashem's rulership in this world.

Clearly there is something with Purim and 54.
So here's the secret: The name of Hashem is spelled Aleph, daled, nun, Yud. This name is middas hachessed.

But if you take off the first and last letter, you're left with just the daled and nun, which is middas hadin, and we're in big trouble.

So Haman said, I will come, along with my ten sons, and we will be 11. 11 forces of the kelippa, will come and remove the aleph and yud (which is 11) from the word Hashem and they will be left with din.

So therefore we counteract all their efforts.
Against the 54 names of Haman- we have 54 Esthers.
Against the 54 letters of Aseres bnei Haman, we have 54 letters of beyemei Mordechai v'Esther.
Haman and zeresh together is 58 times, Mordechai is 58 times. So against the 58 Haman and Zeresh, - we have 58 Mordechais.
One memuchan vs. One hadassah.

The entire megilla is balanced. This is what the megale amukos says.
The Rokeach adds that we have to wipe out Haman, which is mentioned 54 times that's why Hashem says Emche - I will wipe out. That, too, is gematria 54.

All of this comes to show us the incredible secrets of even the kesuvim, where there are so many hidden remazim that is not evident upon first reading it. But it proves that all of it was written with ruach hakodesh.
(Heard from Rabbi Glatstien)

Eta: https://www.torahanytime.com/#.....77949

Wow, thanks for typing this up! So so interesting!!

b.chadash

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 12:52 am
amother Emerald wrote:
Wow, thanks for typing this up! So so interesting!!

In this vein, I just heard also that the Rokeach says that there are 166 pesukim in the megilla. And there are exactly 166 words in the Torah that talk about Amalek.
Hallel hagadol also has 166 words.

Even if you aren't into gematrios, all this is too fascinating to dismiss as mere coincidence.

What it comes to show is the the megilla is not a simple document. Also, if you listen to Purimfest 1948, it drives home the point that this megilla was written with Ruach hakodesh. Every single word is in place. It's not just a nice story we read on Purim. And the more one delves into it, the more fascinating it is to see.

There is a reason why after Moshiach comes, Purim will be the one Yom tov which will not be abolished.

amother
Hyssop

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 1:10 am
Just learned this week that in ancient Persian, the name Vashti means "the best" - a contest to find someone better than Vashti is a play on words. Similarly, the name Haman derives from "good advice" and would also have been ironic to the original audience of the megillah.

GLUE

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 7:49 am
TmeLine, Achashveriosh ruled for 13 years

4th year Vahti was killed
7th year Esther was taken to Achashveriosh
10th year was Esther party
13th year Achashveriosh died

After Achashveriosh died Esther son was a toddler so she ruled Persia for years until he was old enough to rule.

R' Moshe Feinstein had a whole Teshevah on how and why Esther raised her son as a non-Jew, By Halcha he was not Jewish ever through he was Esther son.

b.chadash

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 7:55 am
GLUE wrote:

After Achashveriosh died Esther son was a toddler so she ruled Persia for years until he was old enough to rule.

R' Moshe Feinstein had a whole Teshevah on how and why Esther raised her son as a non-Jew, By Halcha he was not Jewish ever through he was Esther son.

Really? That's fascinating. Where can I find this teshuva?

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 9:26 am
GLUE wrote:

Why not? Isn't Judaism determined by the mother?

GLUE

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 10:56 pm
b.chadash wrote:
Really? That's fascinating. Where can I find this teshuva?

I asked the person who quotes this every year were it is
He did give me some more background about the Gemora, when I asked were is R' Moshe Teshevah he said he will look up the exact place and tell me.

I will let you know when he gets back to me.

amother
Clematis

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 11:08 pm
GLUE wrote:

how did achashverosh die was it naturally or he got killed ?

todahrabba

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 11:12 pm
It took achashverosh four years to look for a new queen

Haman was hanged the second day of Pesach

Some say Charvonah was Eliyahu Hanavi

Haman was once Mordechai's slave -their contract was written on the sole of Mordechai's shoe.

Haman was a barber before he became an army general and then advisor to the king.

b.chadash

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 11:20 pm
1. Bring proof from the megilla that little children were invited to Achashveirosh's party.

2. How do we know that Haman and Zeresh did not have good shalom bayis?

amother
Raspberry

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 11:24 pm
shanie5 wrote:
There was 1 king who tried to sit on Shlomo Hamelechs throne. He was bitten by one of the animals when he was on the 1st step and was forever after known as "_____ the lame" (sorry, can't remember the kings name right now).

Achashveirosh hired the best artist/craftsmen to build a replica of the throne. Thse craftsmen lived in Shushan which was not the capital at that time. When the throne was ready, it was too big and heavy to move, so Achashveirosh built his palace around the throne and moved the capital to shushan.

פרעה נכה
He was a pharaoh, king of mitzrayim

dena613

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 11:29 pm
b.chadash wrote:
1. Bring proof from the megilla that little children were invited to Achashveirosh's party.

Are these jokes?

b.chadash

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 11:32 pm
dena613 wrote:
Are these jokes?

No.

b.chadash

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 11:50 pm
dena613 wrote:
Are these jokes?

I had read in the book Let my nation Live that children were invited to the party. The meforshim say that they were allowed to do whatever they pleased and they ran around wrecking the palace gardens. Achashveirosh was acting like a benevolent king and didn't care that they were ruining the expensive gardens, saying everything can be repaired with money.
It was ironic that later on he became furious when he saw the people chopping down the trees at the supposed behest of Haman.

Tonight while listening to the megillah, the words jumped out at me that proves that kids were invited.

I shared my thought with my daughter and she asked the second question.
Both answers are found in the text of the megilla

amother
DarkRed

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 11:54 pm
b.chadash wrote:
I had read in the book Let my nation Live that children were invited to the party. The meforshim say that they were allowed to do whatever they pleased and they ran around wrecking the palace gardens. Achashveirosh was acting like a benevolent king and didn't care that they were ruining the expensive gardens, saying everything can be repaired with money.
It was ironic that later on he became furious when he saw the people chopping down the trees at the supposed behest of Haman.

Tonight while listening to the megillah, the words jumped out at me that proves that kids were invited.

I shared my thought with my daughter and she asked the second question.
Both answers are found in the text of the megilla

?למגדול ועד קטן
I thought that was referring to rank, not age

amother
DarkRed

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 11:58 pm
b.chadash wrote:

?לזרש אשתו ולכל אהביו
I think it just means friends in this context, as opposed to family. Not that she wasn't considered someone who liked him.

b.chadash

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 12:02 am
amother DarkRed wrote:
?למגדול ועד קטן
I thought that was referring to rank, not age

Yes, this is what I had in mind.
Hmm. Maybe it means both, rank and age. I'll have to check tomorrow what the meforshim say on this.

Last edited by b.chadash on Tue, Mar 07 2023, 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total

b.chadash

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 12:05 am
amother DarkRed wrote:
?לזרש אשתו ולכל־אהביו
I think it just means friends in this context, as opposed to family. Not that she wasn't considered someone who liked him.

No. He greets his friends and then his wife. His wife is an afterthought. I don't have the megilla in front of me but it struck me as odd that "ohavov" was mentioned first before his wife. It seems to exclude her from the category of ohavov.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics