Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Weird replies from a new contact at work
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 10:24 am
My husband mentioned to me that he started dealing with a (he decided chassidish-sounding) female though his work. Whenever he sends her a document she asked for she'll reply with "much obliged" or "many thanks".

Is this normal word usage for the local girls to use?

amother
Mayflower

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 10:34 am
Many thanks is totally appropriate. What’s the judgement for exactly??

ectomorph

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 10:37 am
She probably was told to say that professionally. It's a bit formal

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 10:46 am
No judgement. Just asking. I work in an office where we request documents all day. No one uses those words.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 10:50 am
normal

s1

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 11:01 am
amother OP wrote:
No judgement. Just asking. I work in an office where we request documents all day. No one uses those words.

Which words do you normally use?
I think many thanks is perfectly normal, much obliged is quite posh

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 11:06 am
He obviously thought these words were out of the ordinary, because no one else he deals with in that office uses them. (Never mind that even a basic thank you email 10x a day is annoying.)

amother
Oleander

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 11:09 am
Sounds normal to me- Brit here

amother
Red

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 11:12 am
amother OP wrote:
He obviously thought these words were out of the ordinary, because no one else he deals with in that office uses them. (Never mind that even a basic thank you email 10x a day is annoying.)

I applaud her personality.

If your DH doesn't want her to acknowledge his emails - he should politely tell her.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 11:29 am
Yes for the English.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 11:53 am
Is she british?

Whilst I am a brit, I'd never write or say much obliged unless I was being silly, but very often say and would email many thanks!

exhausted

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 11:54 am
Very normal

daffys

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 12:49 pm
Very normal for a Chassidish girl . They’re usually extra formal when dealing with men.

Kiwi13

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 1:31 pm
When I worked with a British publisher for a while, I picked up some of the lingo… “Many thanks,” “In due course,” etc.

And then it got interesting at the next place I worked. 😂

She could have picked it up anywhere. You never know. It’s formal and polite.

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 1:35 pm
amother OP wrote:

While they are not typical closings in the emails at my employer in my location, they seem rather professional and appropriate.

Even if I got a thank you reply email, I don't find it annoying. It's normal and professional to say thanks/thank you/many thanks, etc. in a quick reply email. If I got manifestos of gratitude constantly, that would be weird and somewhat annoying.

I usually close my work emails with "Thanks" or "Thank you" if that's and appropriate closing as do most of my peers.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 1:55 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
While they are not typical closings in the emails at my employer in my location, they seem rather professional and appropriate.

Even if I got a thank you reply email, I don't find it annoying. It's normal and professional to say thanks/thank you/many thanks, etc. in a quick reply email. If I got manifestos of gratitude constantly, that would be weird and somewhat annoying.

I usually close my work emails with "Thanks" or "Thank you" if that's and appropriate closing as do most of my peers.

Sure. I get that. That's normal. But to request 10 documents a day and respond to each email with a reply of many thanks or much obliged is just odd. I agree with him. Sorry!

amother
Banana

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 1:58 pm
I don't understand the question. It's well within the realm if appropriate no matter how many times a day you email. It's formal and professional. Definitely not "weird" or "annoying"

amother
Lightpink

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 2:42 pm
She also may have this set as her signature. I use outlook at work and have a formal signature set up, and a response signature. It could be she just has one signature for regardless where she is in the email thread.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 2:54 pm
The responses let your husband know that she received the emails — it's polite and responsible. The "much obliged" formal language may be because she is Chassidish.

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 2:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
Sure. I get that. That's normal. But to request 10 documents a day and respond to each email with a reply of many thanks or much obliged is just odd. I agree with him. Sorry!

I just don't know who has that much time to get that bothered by a quick email that says thanks and indicates the item was received.

Also, why does it bother you that much? I don't have time to get annoyed for my husband over smaller matters. I have enough on my own plate.

Last edited by NotInNJMommy on Tue, Mar 07 2023, 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics