Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Is this normal? Sleepy baby newborn

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 2:05 pm
My daughter is two weeks old and sleepy since she was born. She will cry every 3.5 hours for food, a few times a day Is willing to stay alert for up to 20 minutes, and falls right back to sleep. She also falls asleep during feedings.
A week ago we snipped a very slight tongue tie she had. Nothing changed. She was not gaining enough weight so now I pump and give bottles every 3 hours and she has been gaining weight beautifully since. But nothing has changed sleepwise.
Is this normal? She is my second child. My first was an absolute terror and I did not get 2 hours sleep straight for the first 6 months of her life. Do all normal babies sleep this much?

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 2:50 pm
Was she born early? Sometime babies born early are much sleepier.

STMommy

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 2:50 pm
amother Azure wrote:

This. My 38-week born child was a very sleepy newborn.

amother
Canary

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 2:52 pm
Epidural? C section? Jaundice?

amother
Peru

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 2:53 pm
My newborns are quite sleepy. As long as they're gaining weight, enjoy it!
My babies used to sleep really well till about 6 weeks. It's a bracha.
B"h they're all healthy functioning teens now.

justforfun87

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 2:57 pm
My 4th slept all day for probably the first 4-6 weeks of his life. Ate and maybe opened eyes for a second and went back to bed. Enjoy it! Now at 4 months he is awake alert and a total mush!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 3:08 pm
amother Azure wrote:

Yes she was induced at 38 weeks.
Okay thank you all! Am much calmer now.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 3:39 pm
I had this. Turned out snipping the tongue tie isn't such a quick fix. I did it and baby was still sleepy cuz he was working too hard to eat. I had to redo it with an expert and I did craniosacral therapy before and after. Bh baby woke to eat and ate better than before. I would get another opinion on the tongue tie.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 3:48 pm
Sounds like dream newborn!!
I would only get nervous if she wasn't waking to eat and not having dirty/wet diapers...

tichellady

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 4:30 pm
I would talk to the pediatrician. I know some cases where this was fine and others where the baby wasn't getting enough milk

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 1:11 pm
I had this with my first, born towards the end of 37 weeks. She wouldn't even wake up to eat, I had to wake her. She had maybe one period a day of being alert. I nursed and pumped because she was small and wasn't gaining well, but that didn't affect her sleep/wake. She basically slept 22 hours a day for the first few weeks. Pediatrician said that as long as when she is awake that she is really alert, then it is fine if she sleeps the rest of the time.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 1:27 pm
I had this. Induced ar 38.5 weeks. Baby was sleepy until about 7 weeks. I had to wake him to eat, wake him up during eating, etc. I was nursing so I never knew if he was getting enough so was so nervous about him gaining weight but bh he did. But I had to be very on top of waking him up.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics