Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Do You Hear Every Word of the Megillah?
1  2  Next

Do you hear every megillah word?
Yes, I hear every single word  
 56%  [ 75 ]
Mostly, and I read words I didn't hear that I didn't hear  
 32%  [ 43 ]
No, I don't hear or read myself every single word  
 11%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 133

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 11:03 am
Curious to hear

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 11:15 am
Hear or pay attention? Nothing blocked my ears this year but my attention wandered big time. Some years I am better.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 11:18 am
Unfortunately, as I am not well Sad cannot go to Shul this year- I was read Megilla at home - yes- I heard every word.

imasinger

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 11:21 am
amother Rose wrote:
Unfortunately, as I am not well Sad cannot go to Shul this year- I was read Megilla at home - yes- I heard every word.

Refuah sheleima!

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 11:24 am
TY!

Rappel

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 11:31 am
I go to a women's reading in a house, all I hear every word. But I chose the second option because my attention wavers sometimes, so then I have to read to make sure I'm covered.

amother
Lily

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 11:34 am
My ears hear every word but I do not pay attention. Its very hard for me to focus.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 11:36 am
Hearing or paying full attention? I had no problems hearing, our rav reads always loudly and clearly and stops or repeats if necessary. But at the morning reading at one point my thoughts started wandering. It has happened to me often in past years as well. I wonder if others really hear every single word consciously and with kavannah. I can't be the only one who starts drifting.

nightingale1

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 11:51 am
I hear every word and follow along with my finger on the place. I concentrate on always having my finger at the exact word being said and that helps.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 11:56 am
BrisketBoss wrote:
Hear or pay attention? Nothing blocked my ears this year but my attention wandered big time. Some years I am better.

This, thanks for your honesty. I had a very hard time focusing this year. I’m also usually better.

amother
Aster

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 12:36 pm
I hear as in it goes into one ear and comes out of the other. I don't read along. I don't understand Hebrew so I don't follow along either. I'm just in the room and hear it. Yes I get spaced out many times but my ears hear it.

Rappel

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 2:05 pm
amother Aster wrote:
I hear as in it goes into one ear and comes out of the other. I don't read along. I don't understand Hebrew so I don't follow along either. I'm just in the room and hear it. Yes I get spaced out many times but my ears hear it.

You can read along in English, or whatever your native language is. That's what I used to do. There's a value to understanding the story as part of the mitzvah.

amother
Aster

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 2:24 pm
Rappel wrote:
You can read along in English, or whatever your native language is. That's what I used to do. There's a value to understanding the story as part of the mitzvah.

How can I read along in English if I'm listening in Hebrew. I can't hear the Hebrew and read the English at the same time. You gotta be multi talented for that. I can't read so fast.

icedcoffee

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 2:26 pm
Normally every word, but this year, I had to run out of the room to throw up Sick My husband was sick last week, I guess it caught up with me. I missed the last chapter and was so shocked about what happened that I forgot to read it to myself. I do feel bad about it but it was really a one time freak occurrence; I'm giving myself grace about it (even though vomiting in the shul bathroom is much less than graceful hahah)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 3:03 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:

When my attention wonders, I definitely don't hear every word. So I'm surprised people say they still hear every word (consciously) when their thoughts wander.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 3:17 pm
I listen. Do I freak out that I’m hearing every word no. I also space out sometimes. I don’t know why everyone is ocd about it. If you are in shul you heard it. No need to go insane like some people do. It’s such an unpleasant experience because of all those people. Like I’m scared to shuffle my feet lest someone freak out.

amother
Poppy

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 3:59 pm
I've come to the conclusion that it's not possible for me to stay focused. I do my best and that's it. At least the sound goes into my ears. But My brain zones out. It happens other times too, like during conversations. Or davening. It's not something I do consciously, but when I notice I bring myself back.

s1

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 5:41 pm
I have learnt that as long as the sound goes into your ears (no loud noises or falling asleep) then it’s counted as ‘hearing every word’. No way could I concentrate and follow along for that long!

yidishmamma

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 5:59 pm
amother Lily wrote:
My ears hear every word but I do not pay attention. Its very hard for me to focus.

That's me too . I hear but if I pay attention all the time is different story

amother
Winterberry

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 6:55 pm
I hope so
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics