Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Weird replies from a new contact at work
Previous  1  2

BatyaEsther

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 12:04 pm
Sounds like she is hitting on him.

Just kidding. Happy Purim.

Perfect normal. Different word choice than I would use, but I am not Chassidish and I am much less formal

amother
Rainbow

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 12:08 pm
This is so nitpicky. Why even think about it or be so bothered that you discuss it and post about it. There is no winning, not saying thank you upsets people, saying it too many times upsets people, saying it the wrong way upsets people. Sheesh why do we make such a big deal over everything.

amother
Red

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 12:13 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
The responses let your husband know that she received the emails — it's polite and responsible. The "much obliged" formal language may be because she is Chassidish.

Or she's just a bit quirky.

zaq

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 1:11 pm
I'm a non-chasidish graduate of a secular university and I sign off "many thanks" all the time. "Much obliged" is a bit old-fashioned; I use it in casual cheerful convo with coworkers the same way I say "thank you kind sir" to a coworker I'm friendly with. I probably wouldn't use either expression to the Big Kahuna whom I don't deal with on a regular basis, but I wouldn't think anyone was weird for signing off "much obliged." In fact, I couldn't swear I've never signed off that way myself.

NechaMom

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 1:15 pm
I probably never missed replying “thank you” to an email I waited for, whether it’s 1x a week or 15x a day.
It’s just being proper. I can’t find anything weird with “many thanks”.
“Much obliged” is not the typical.
Like someone suggested, she may be British, or her mom may be so that’s the language in her home. Or she picked it up somewhere else.
Really don’t understand the issue here.
Debating if it’s a purim joke!

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 1:18 pm
amother OP wrote:
My husband mentioned to me that he started dealing with a (he decided chassidish-sounding) female though his work. Whenever he sends her a document she asked for she'll reply with "much obliged" or "many thanks".

Is this normal word usage for the local girls to use?

LOL LOL LOL
My boss would love me to respond to ppl outside the company like that. Chassidush bosses think that this is the height of proffesionalism. Nothing for you to worry

amother
IndianRed

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 1:25 pm
amother Lightpink wrote:
She also may have this set as her signature. I use outlook at work and have a formal signature set up, and a response signature. It could be she just has one signature for regardless where she is in the email thread.

I was going to say this. One of my colleagues has many thanks on her signature above her name, title etc. I think both are normal formal replies to a message or request. I don't know where she's worked or trained before starting this job, but it is also possible that that's how she was told to sign off previously so that's what she does.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 2:39 pm
normal and professional to acknowledge receipt of an email etc

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 3:00 pm

Weird replies to a business email

Highstrung

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 3:10 pm
amother OP wrote:
Sure. I get that. That's normal. But to request 10 documents a day and respond to each email with a reply of many thanks or much obliged is just odd. I agree with him. Sorry!

It could be preset as part of her email signature. I wouldn’t think twice about it. It sounds very normal to me.

unnamed

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 3:11 pm
How would you prefer for her to sign off?

Many thanks,

Unnamed

amother
Cornsilk

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 6:58 pm
I thank my colleagues for every interaction in which they provide a response or an assist. My replies range from: thanks so much, really appreciate it, I'm grateful for your help, much appreciated, you're the best, glad that we're a team. Just depends on who and what the interaction is about and how much effort they have made. Also depends on who or how many people are cc'd. I work with mostly women, but some men. Secular office with a few frum people. This does not seem like anything inappropriate or of concern.

amother
Lightblue

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 8:18 pm
LOL was thinking right away she sounds British!
It's just a bit formal and not how most Americans communicate, even in a corporate setting.
The employees in my company who are not living in America definitely would use such wording in their communications.

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 8:27 pm
Scratching Head

What's the problem?

amother
Milk

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 5:52 pm
Sounds South African to me, lol. Perfectly fine. Formal.

imasinger

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 6:06 pm
Totally normal.

Don't look to make problems for yourselves.

amother
Quince

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 6:19 pm
Much obliged, I like that. I think I'll try writing that one at work and see how ppl react 🤣

amother
Outerspace

Post Tue, Aug 22 2023, 2:49 pm
Lol joined a more heimish company when I've been working in corporate culture for many years and second guessing my automated signature based on this thread and had to come back here and post

Cheiny

Post Tue, Aug 22 2023, 2:51 pm
amother OP wrote:
My husband mentioned to me that he started dealing with a (he decided chassidish-sounding) female though his work. Whenever he sends her a document she asked for she'll reply with "much obliged" or "many thanks".

Is this normal word usage for the local girls to use?

Seriously? I thought you were going to say she came onto him.

What is wrong with what she said??
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics