Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
I hate myself for not having self control with food on Purim

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 7:35 am
You might say that it’s just one day but I go overboard non stop the whole day.
I love chocolate. People are sending over more chocolate than I buy the whole year! I just can’t stop myself… and certain gourmet home baked goods I just have to try. I have zero self control when fancy store bought mishloach manos gets delivered and I must sample it all. That’s in addition to eating a bagel in the morning and trying out the homemade challah in the afternoon plus probably around 10 franks n blanks plus a few pieces of kugel and the list goes on and on… As I clean up my counters from the day the sampling continues even though I’m full and my stomach is double the size and hurting a little. Doesn’t stop me as I’m laying in bed early the next morning from thinking about the boxes of iced cappuccino that I want along with a cheese danish and Torino chocolate…
I need help. I’m usually careful with what I eat because I know I can get like this but it’s just completely out of control now. I gained 4.5 pounds since yesterday morning and I know I’ll probably gain another 2 pounds today. I was already 15 pounds overweight before Purim. Why would I want to gain another 6 lbs in 2 days??? I have an eating disorder and I don’t know what to do. Im not in control anymore.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 8:28 am
I'm usually this way too! This year I'm 9 months pregnant and not as hungry which is weird! Although I sampled many things, I could have easily eaten double of what I did! It's enjoying life and not gaining 6 pounds in 2 days. Go back to regular eating tomorrow and you'll be OK. Everything in moderation and the weight will come off.

zaq

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 8:39 am
Stop with the guilt. It's one day. It's not what you eat between Purim and Pesach that matters; it's what you eat between Pesach and Purim.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 8:42 am
I don’t think it’s possible to gain 6 pounds in a day . That would mean you ate an excess of 21,000 calories . So a total of 23,000 calories yesterday. I don’t think that’s humanly possible.

amother
Candycane

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 8:44 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
I don’t think it’s possible to gain 6 pounds in a day . That would mean you ate an excess of 21,000 calories . So a total of 23,000 calories yesterday. I don’t think that’s humanly possible.

Last edited by amother on Wed, Mar 08 2023, 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total

Highstrung

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 8:44 am
It’s a Mitzvah to eat on Purim. Stop beating yourself up. If you keep eating for a month afterward like that , then it’s an issue. Cut yourself slack. It’s ok to indulge , especially on a day like Purim. I’m 70lbs overweight and have been very careful with my food the past month or so. But I ate whatever I wanted to yesterday , guilt free. Whether I gain weight from it or not , I’m not checking or obsessing over it . At least I enjoyed it. Once you add guilt to the mix, you don’t even enjoy the food.

Highstrung

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 8:46 am
mommy3b2c wrote:

Exactly. It’s usually water retention .

amother
Petunia

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 9:03 am
Eating disorders are a neurological problem, not a moral failing.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 9:08 am
I didn’t gain 6 lbs yesterday. It was 4 lbs.
since there’s still a lot of food I want I’m assuming it will be another 2 lbs today…
I once met someone who told me she was at a hotel on pesach and she gained 12 lbs! I also didn’t think that was possible but now I get it.
It happens when you don’t pay any attention to your stomach and you just keep trying to satisfy your taste buds.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics