Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Calling OT's and Sensory Experts...

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 8:39 pm
I've been searching for an answer and hope someone here can shed light.

Am a mom of several children, all of which are highly sensitive (HSP) and have some degree of sensory issue. Cry and meltdown easily especially when overstimulated, very shy, hard time with adjustments and transitions... Emotionally dysregulated...

My question is as follows
I am currently pregnant and would love to know if there's anything on earth I can do differently with this baby from the start to make things more sensory balanced. I've gone to therapy myself to work on healthy attachments and explore what I might need more guidance in, have given my kids OT as well as play therapy to try to help them especially with emotional imbalance and anxiety.

My babies are highly sensitive to sound and tend to cry excessively. I do hold them a lot and play with them etc...

Is sensory imbalance nature? Nurture? Environmental? Genetic? What can I do to help this baby have better outcome from the start?

amother
Kiwi

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 8:40 pm
The guttman sisters are extremely knowledgeable. Their Instagram is handonapproaches. They have a lot of info on their page. Maybe reach out to them.

amother
Maize

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 8:43 pm
Minerals, b vitamins, fat soluble vitamins, minimize inflammation and immune activation and work on gut health for improved nervous system health. This is foundational. We are all sooo depleted.

Address oral ties in baby if present, avoid bottles and pacifiers. Craniosacral and bodywork can be very helpful.

Delay vaccines as much as possible.

If you’re on instagram check out the holistic mother. She has incredible information on health foundations for kids with a focus on nervous system health.

amother
PlumPink

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 9:14 pm
amother Kiwi wrote:
The guttman sisters are extremely knowledgeable. Their Instagram is handonapproaches. They have a lot of info on their page. Maybe reach out to them.

THIS!!! Their handle is handsonapproaches (previous poster forgot an s.) www.instagram.com/handsonapproaches

I did their program, "Baby on Track" last year and this is the first child (our of 7 kh!) that is developing with NO issues. (All the others have therapy and dx.)

They are doing it again in May. They many not even promote it on their page. sign up for their email. weekly talks. anything and everything. They are the real deal.

mha3484

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 9:56 pm
Read Self Reg by stuart shenker. It has really good information that you can start implementing at birth.

mushkamothers

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 9:59 pm
I wonder if the Doman method would work for this. In general, undisturbed birth, tons of skin to skin, breastfeeding, freedom of movement etc can't hurt but I wonder if there's a nervous system piece here as well.

adinalow

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 10:33 pm
OT here. Give the baby as much tummy time as you can handle (I'm a mom too lol) and minimize time spent in what some therapists refer to as "containers" like swings, bouncers, car seats etc. The more opportunity a baby has to move, the better for development. This does not just affect motor development but sensory as well. You can google reflex integration. Delays in reflex integration (which impact sensory system) are treated by literally having kids do movements that they needed but possibly didnt get as babies. Hatzlacha!

amother
PlumPink

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 11:03 pm
amother OP wrote:
I've been searching for an answer and hope someone here can shed light.

Am a mom of several children, all of which are highly sensitive (HSP) and have some degree of sensory issue. Cry and meltdown easily especially when overstimulated, very shy, hard time with adjustments and transitions... Emotionally dysregulated...

My question is as follows
I am currently pregnant and would love to know if there's anything on earth I can do differently with this baby from the start to make things more sensory balanced. I've gone to therapy myself to work on healthy attachments and explore what I might need more guidance in, have given my kids OT as well as play therapy to try to help them especially with emotional imbalance and anxiety.

My babies are highly sensitive to sound and tend to cry excessively. I do hold them a lot and play with them etc...

Is sensory imbalance nature? Nurture? Environmental? Genetic? What can I do to help this baby have better outcome from the start?

By the way, I see you mentioned that your babies are highly sensitive to sound. Just opened my email; the Guttmann sisters just wrote a blog post on this: https://handsonotrehab.com/und.....vity/ Hashgacha pratis!

amother
Quince

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 11:12 pm
Completely anecdotal, but all my kids are sensory avoidant except my last, and one big difference is that I did a course on baby massage and used massage extensively. Some of the components still work when dc gets disregulated (dc is a sensory seeker) or anxious, even as a preteen.

amother
PlumPink

Post Fri, Apr 21 2023, 3:57 am
Just got an email about the Guttmann sister’s course “Baby on Track.״. They just launched it yesterday. Thought of you, OP: https://handsonapproaches.com/baby-on-track/. It was a game changer for my family. Hatzlacha!

amother
Tomato

Post Fri, Apr 21 2023, 10:04 am
amother plumpink, I'm thinking about doing the baby on track course. Can you tell me more about it?

Also, they are having a chat today on HSP that will be on their podcast I think...

amother
PlumPink

Post Fri, Apr 21 2023, 2:05 pm
Yes. So I am part of their membership and they do live recordings for those that aren’t that they post on their podcast “Quiet the Noise”

The course really helps explain the importance of particular milestones in the first 1.5 years that helps with emotional, academic and social development. It’s not about just the milestones - it’s how they get there. Each week they taught exercises or activities that we should do with our babies (about a minute or so). They added now a community chat. They didn’t have that when I did it. They teach how to help children regulate for sleep and eating by not using a specific program but learning how to help them do it naturally, using their own bodies. Very supportive and educated instructors. I took it two years ago. I have 3 older ones who needed therapy. The little one (who is almost 3) is doing amazing. Highly highly recommend it.

amother
PlumPink

Post Fri, Apr 21 2023, 2:07 pm
amother Tomato wrote:
amother plumpink, I'm thinking about doing the baby on track course. Can you tell me more about it?

Also, they are having a chat today on HSP that will be on their podcast I think...

Also they give tips on parenting, preventing issues, red flags, helping children who aren’t reaching milestones…so much. Great course.

On a side note - my friend has a 10 month old who doesn’t qualify for early intervention. She is doing it to compensate that. Can be useful for that kind of parent also…

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 23 2023, 8:13 am
Wow this course sounds amaaazing! Price is unaffordable for me now though Sad

amother
Chicory

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 5:11 pm
Just found this thread. OP you describe my kids exactly and I keep wondering the same what I'm doing wrong...

Regarding your older kids, what did you find most helpful?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 9:10 pm
amother Chicory wrote:
Just found this thread. OP you describe my kids exactly and I keep wondering the same what I'm doing wrong...

Regarding your older kids, what did you find most helpful?

Maybe were related & it is genes after all... LOL

With my older kids I've found that in the end they do come around & do well in coping with life... With enough prayer hope & some intervention.

But till we get there ...

amother
Currant

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 10:45 pm
So, nu, update? Did you do anything different with the pregnancy and does your baby seem less sensitive or not?

amother
Chicory

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 8:38 am
amother OP wrote:

With my older kids I've found that in the end they do come around & do well in coping with life... With enough prayer hope & some intervention.

Haha! You never know;)

Definitely good to hear that thing do settle down eventually iyh. Now I don't know which direction to go if it's me, genes or envirement etc...doing a little of everything until they grow up.

Good luck!

amother
Aster

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 10:41 am
amother OP wrote:

It could also be a nurture thing. Maybe there's something you do or don't do that's making your kids more prone to develop these issues.

Do you suffer from anxiety?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics