Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
[STORY] Damsel in Distress (Update #15b - 14 Teves p. 22)
  Previous  1  2  3 20  21  22  Next

he

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 10:07 am
Il forgive you for making him talk like that if you add another chapter fast Wink
But seriously speaking thank you so much for spending your precious time entertaining us! I love this story!

amother
Viola

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 5:54 pm
Op, no pressure but can’t wait for next installment!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 11:46 pm
Is "no pressure but" equivalent to "no offense but"? Wink

amother
Viola

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 8:49 am
amother OP wrote:
Is "no pressure but" equivalent to "no offense but"? Wink

Absolutely lol

amother
Hyacinth

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 10:17 am
I did NOT expect myself to get sucked in and yet...
I'm here waiting...Wink

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 10:45 am
Me, too! Please, please, pretty please...

he

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 11:52 am
Omg I almost couldnt breathe I thoughts the replies were a new chapter!

amother
Viola

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 8:21 pm
Anyone else wondering from time to time how chava and eli are doing?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 11:17 pm
Yes, I am! I assure you the next chapter is written in my head (although once I start putting it down things might change) but I have not had the time and mental space to write in a long time. Sad

(I love love my babies but they do a very good job at upending your life for a bit!)

nu

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 5:53 pm
Thank you for a great read. Love your novel, stayed up late reading it. Please update us on how eli and chava are doing.

amother
Clover

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 5:54 pm
nu wrote:
Thank you for a great read. Love your novel, stayed up late reading it. Please update us on how eli and chava are doing.

ARGH why

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 7:01 pm
amother Clover wrote:
ARGH why

Can there be a rule that no one can bump up this thread unless there’s a story update? Sad

amother
Viola

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 7:42 pm
My heart skipped a beat!

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 8:01 pm
Submit it for publication

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 1:46 pm
Got another partial chapter done. Posting now since I never know when I'll be able to steal time for the rest!

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 1:47 pm
Ideal, part 1

You don't need to be fully wrapped in your Tallis for more than a second. But Eli hides inside of it for a full two minutes.

"You start davening by promising that you accept to love your fellow Jew," he tells himself firmly. "You have no right to continue until you can feel it, at least somewhat. Even for people who betray you. Even for your wife."

Time moves slowly in wool-wrapped isolation, but Eli lets his thoughts race around until coming to a firm conclusion: He needs to assume good intentions. And he needs to let her explain with an open mind.

Tension he didn't realize he was holding starts to ease up in his shoulders. He lowers his arms and adjusts the Tallis.

---

Closeted in her studio room, Chava sits staring morosely at her siddur.

It's one thing to decide you're going to daven. It's something else to actually pick up the siddur and talk to Hashem when your whole world feels like it's about to collapse. And it's your own fault.

No it's not your fault! Yes it is! Tears well up in her eyes and she doesn't attempt to wipe them away. She continues staring at the siddur through blurry eyes.

Finally she heaves a deep sigh and opens the siddur.

"You don't have to be there yet," she commands herself. "You do at least need to go through the motions."

It's not easy to daven. Words that often flow heedlessly from her lips are coming slow and clumsy. But, as she reminds herself, you're doing what you're supposed to.

---

That conviction persists, even after she closes and kisses the siddur.

Whatever will be, right now you're the wife. And even if you're not feeling it, there's things you're supposed to do. And in those moments, you have to just go through the motions.

Dragging her feet, trying not to focus on the maelstrom of emotions in her head, Chava goes to the kitchen to prepare breakfast as usual.

---

As she slides the finished omelet onto a waiting plate, Chava is taken aback at her feeling of satisfaction at a perfect job. She is supposed to be miserable now, right?

But apparently just going through a daily routine is enough to get the cloud of depression to lift. Not to make it disappear, but just enough for hope to peek through.

---

Eli folds his Tallis neatly, then sits down at the table with a sefer. After he finishes learning, they're going to have to talk. In case it goes south, he'd rather know that at least he accomplished something today.

He is very surprised to see a plate with a fresh omelet and a steaming cup of coffee slid over near his sefer. Maybe it won't be so bad?

Eli looks Chava directly in the eye. "Thank you."

She looks down and mumbles something.

"Can we talk in an hour or so?" Eli asks, glancing at the clock. "Say, 11:15?"

"Okay," Chava manages, then escapes to the studio with her own breakfast.

---

At 11:08, Eli closes his sefer. His nervousness has been growing and at this point he can't even pretend he's learning anything.

He stands up and gets a paper and pen and writes himself a list.

1) Ask
2) Listen
3) Collaborate

That covers it, no?

It's 11:11. Eli looks at the closed door of the studio. Why doesn't she come out already? Emergencies he can deal with, even if he sometimes messes up. Endless limbo is torture.

11:13. Why does the clock move so slowly?

11:15. Eli looks hopefully at the door. It is still tightly shut.

11:16. Eli slumps in his chair. Maybe she isn't planning on coming at all. Maybe she doesn't want as desperately to work things out. Maybe she's happier not having to deal with him. He glances again at the door.

This time, as if in answer to his despair, it opens.

to be continued...
continued here

he

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 4:10 pm
Ah the suspense!! Love each chapter as usual!

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 8:09 pm
Thanks for the new chapter. Keep it coming!

ectomorph

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 9:06 pm
I like!

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 9:09 pm
Op you are so so so very talented

Thank you!
Page 21 of 22   Previous  1  2  3 20  21  22  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club