Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Is dosing the same for infant motrin and children's?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 10:31 pm
If I was told to give my 6 Month old 1/2 tsp motrin or tylenol, can I give children's motrin? Or it has to be infants? And if I can give childrens does anyone know if dosing is the same? Thanks!

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 10:34 pm
Children's and infants' Tylenol are the same concentration, although they did not used to be. Children's and infants' Motrin are still different, so dosing is not the same.

amother
Anemone

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 10:34 pm
Im pretty sure 6 month old infants can't get more than 1.25 ml of motrin. Giving motrin to infants is not a simple as giving them tylenol

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 10:37 pm
Do you know how much the baby weighs? Read the label and dose by weight. It should be the same ml for Tylenol and Motrin, the companies made all the dosaging universal years ago to minimize confusion, but you definitely want to double check.

giftedmom

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 10:39 pm
Infants Motrin is concentrated so a much smaller dose

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 10:42 pm
No! They’re not the same! Infant Motrin is twice as concentrated as children’s. We had a scare when my dd was around the same age and I realized the doctor’s directions were for children’s concentration but what we had at home and had been giving her was infants. Had to call poison control and bh she was just under the toxicity limit.

See here for dosing chart:

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 10:49 pm
I panicked for you with my original response and just reread your post. Sounds like you were given the same directions I was that led to my mistake: same dosing for Tylenol and Motrin. These directions are specifically referring to children’s Motrin. 2.5mg/half a tsp is the right dosing for the average 6mo with children’s Tylenol and children’s Motrin. It would be too much with infant Motrin.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 11:04 pm
I'm so confused, the pharmacy just told my husband the opposite. Said we should give half tsp of the infant tylenol

ra_mom

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 11:07 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm so confused, the pharmacy just told my husband the opposite. Said we should give half tsp of the infant tylenol

You don't have the label on the bottle?

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 12:03 am
amother OP wrote:

That’s correct for infant Tylenol.

Infant Motrin would be 1.25ml or 1/4tsp
Children’s motrin would be 2.5 ml or 1/2 tsp.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics