Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Gift for daughter in law?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 11:46 am
Bh my daughter in law just passed a licensing exam that she worked really hard to prepare for!. We want to give her a present but I'm not sure what-,we were thinking of maybe taking her & ds out to a nice restaurant to celebrate or maybe pay for her & ds to go out to nice restaurant? And if we did,would that be instead or in addition to a present? Another thought was to give her a check for the amount she paid for the test (but that's a lot of money, a few hundred dollars). I'm sure she'd appreciate anything,but I'm looking for advice, any ideas on what might be "apropriate"

amother
Crystal

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 11:55 am
If it was me I would love dinner at a nice restaurant for dh and me.

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 11:57 am
Very thoughtful!

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 12:05 pm
That is really sweet of you.

In my opinion, a nice gift would be flowers or balloons and a card congratulating her.

A very nice gift would be to pay for them to go to a restaurant together.

A very very nice gift would be a restaurant certificate and a $100 visa gift card to buy something for herself.

Either way, you sound like a great MIL! Mazel Tov on DIL's successful exam. Much nachas from your entire family!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 12:16 pm
Thank you for all of the suggestions (and compliments!)! Because I'm clueless about these things-how much is a good amount for a gift certificate to a nice restaurant in Manhattan?

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 12:19 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you for all of the suggestions (and compliments!)! Because I'm clueless about these things-how much is a good amount for a gift certificate to a nice restaurant in Manhattan?

At least $350-$400.

amother
Obsidian

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 12:32 pm
I’d actually do something like a nice bag she ca
N use going to work

amother
Caramel

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 12:39 pm
amother OP wrote:

About $300 to the restaurant is reasonable I think, I don’t think you need to give more

My mother gave my sil (her daughter in law) a beautiful diamond bracelet when she finished her degree, jewelry is always nice as well

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 12:48 pm
Personally as a DIL in similar situation I’d rather go out with both in-laws and DH. I know DH is supportive, he helps me all the time, and we can make our own time for going out. For my super busy MIL to come out to celebrate my accomplishment would be really special.

I guess it comes down to love languages-the quality time she would invest would be more special to me than the gift.

amother
Clover

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 2:00 pm
amother DarkKhaki wrote:
Personally as a DIL in similar situation I’d rather go out with both in-laws and DH. I know DH is supportive, he helps me all the time, and we can make our own time for going out. For my super busy MIL to come out to celebrate my accomplishment would be really special.

I guess it comes down to love languages-the quality time she would invest would be more special to me than the gift.

And I'm the opposite. While I love my mil, I'm super busy and tight on $ and don't go out to restaurants w dh. When I have to go out w her I look at it as entertaining her. Going out w dh is a date and special time.

It might come down to if going out to a fancy restaurant is a special thing for your dil or happens a few times a year.

You're a very nice mil!

amother
Amaranthus

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 2:39 pm
You're a very nice mil. My mil wants to get me a pair of slippers. She is always talking about buying it for me. Never happened. Now she wants me to go and buy them and she'll pay. Sorry I don't have time. Don't give me errands to do. No thanks. Sorry for the vent.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 2:50 pm
amother Amaranthus wrote:
You're a very nice mil. My mil wants to get me a pair of slippers. She is always talking about buying it for me. Never happened. Now she wants me to go and buy them and she'll pay. Sorry I don't have time. Don't give me errands to do. No thanks. Sorry for the vent.

It makes sense that she wants you to go to the store. You need to try it on.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 2:56 pm
amother Burgundy wrote:
It makes sense that she wants you to go to the store. You need to try it on.

She never asked me if I want slippers. I guess she doesn't like my current slippers. I couldn't care less for a new pair. It's not the type of thing to get a dil. Sorry. I have enough on my plate then have to go running around to a store that's not close by to make her feel good. I've done a lot for her I'm not looking for gifts. This just irritated me.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 3:06 pm
amother Crystal wrote:
If it was me I would love dinner at a nice restaurant for dh and me.

And offer to baby sit the kids
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children