Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Ami serial by Riva Pomerantz Take 2
  Previous  1  2  3 26  27  28 40  41  42  Next

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 9:56 am
Also what this story is missing is - why did she feel a need to turn to her son. What was her husband not providing for her. This obviously built up over time... she didn't do this to him as a baby.

amother
Milk

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 10:07 am
amother Jetblack wrote:
Oh so that's how therapy works LOL

Right! This is what I found most unrealistic. Aryeh made a 360 in a minute and that’s not how life works. Even if he would start to realize his mother is wrong, in real life I don’t think he would admit it so openly, get angry and vulnerable so easily in front of his wife he hardly built a connection with.
A more realistic story would be if he listened, didn’t say much, maybe a bit like wow I can’t believe all this I need time to process then go somewhere himself and let his anger out mixed with some confusion.

birdie1

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 5:31 pm
amother Milk wrote:
Right! This is what I found most unrealistic. Aryeh made a 360 in a minute and that’s not how life works. Even if he would start to realize his mother is wrong, in real life I don’t think he would admit it so openly, get angry and vulnerable so easily in front of his wife he hardly built a connection with.
A more realistic story would be if he listened, didn’t say much, maybe a bit like wow I can’t believe all this I need time to process then go somewhere himself and let his anger out mixed with some confusion.

I don’t think it’s crazy. He just heard the insane things his mother said and did to his wife. Of course it immediately changed the way he saw her.

amother
Sage

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 9:51 pm
I do think it is true to life. Healing from a dysfunctional childhood is very dramatic and unexpected emotions hit at unexpected times.

Like when you suddenly become aware of how you the savior and peacemaker is just being used and how you were robbed of a childhood and continue to be a pawn... Its gut wrenching and shocking.

In this case Aryeh denied what the therapist was making him aware of and when he duddenly saw it unfolding it struck him like a thunderbolt.

That all being said it really irks me that the father is getting away with murder throughout the sserial and the mom is the 100% villain throughout. The father had started all of this unhealthy patterns why is he hardly making an appearance? Otoh, it isn't often talked about, the being caught in the clutches of rescuing and codependency... S O maybe that's the authors goal?

amother
Sage

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 9:57 pm
brightness wrote:
Why didn't he realize the whole time that it was his mother that was the evil one.?

I wouldn't say evil. Unhealthy is a better word. He has taken the role as the savior in this very unhealthy ssituation. The pattern of his mother believing and him feeding that belief, that only he can make thing better and keep the peace, is what needs to be broken once and for all.

It is very typical and common that children in very sick situations lack basic awareness of parental and childrens roles... Btdt... And still healing.

amother
Celeste

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 8:56 am
As a child I also thought my father was the bad one. After I got married and saw what the role of each spouse is, I realized that my mom was the real problem- that and she never gave my dad space & respect, causing him to overly try to gain control.

amother
Nemesia

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 9:12 am
amother Celeste wrote:
As a child I also thought my father was the bad one. After I got married and saw what the role of each spouse is, I realized that my mom was the real problem- that and she never gave my dad space & respect, causing him to overly try to gain control.

This is a very powerful insight! If a husband is treated with no respect, he will respond in kind

However, in the case of this series, I think the blame lies on both parents. The husband is definitely described as screaming and yelling at his wife (and children I think). Aryeh mentioned and last week's chapter that his father is also extremely unhealthy. I think they just feed off of each other's dysfunction.

amother
Gardenia

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 12:55 pm
I didn't get the Ami this week, and I'd appreciate it if someone could post what happened this week under "Spoiler Alert". Thank you.

amother
Honey

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 1:03 pm
Also curious. They gotta talk about Bella and Mrs T this week lol

amother
Black

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 7:40 pm
Quite disappointing this week actually. I feel like it's a filler or the author wasn't sure how to continue so she wrote this instead.

Spoiler alert for those that are interested
Miris mom complains to coworker how her relationship with her daughter and sil has become so sticky,
Then miri calls to ask if she can babysit for her some time since she is being called back to work since they are understaffed.
And punchline that Mrs T quit the job without notice.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 8:34 pm
Yes I agree this week was a filler.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 9:06 pm
Grrrrrr!

amother
Honey

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 5:28 am
Ugh. Then the ending will be really rushed. Or probably leaving us hanging, with a P.S. in the pesach issue

brightness

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 7:06 am
Ya agree! Was really looking forward for this week and it wasn't exciting at all! Keeping us in suspense!!!

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 12:20 pm
Why will it end by pesach?

schoolbus

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 11:43 am
So anyone read this week already?

amother
Nemesia

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 11:49 am
schoolbus wrote:
So anyone read this week already?

We didn't get it delivered yet Very Happy
Why, anything good happen?Surprised

schoolbus

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 2:29 pm
Doesn’t look like I’ll be able to buy it today and can’t wait till tomorrow! Wink

amother
Gardenia

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 4:28 pm
Can someone please post?

amother
Nemesia

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 5:02 pm
*****SPOILER ALERT******
Aryeh and Miri have a good conversation. He mentions that he sent his mother a letter saying that she can't come between them and she needs to stop threatening his wife and that he would like to set boundaries with her. As a result, his mother has not spoken to him in 3 days and he feels lost and is speaking it out with Miri. The two of them decide to go out for dinner and are about to leave when Mrs Teigman shows up in front of their apartment. Miri realizes that she's not just there by accident but must have wanted to come over to speak to them. She and Aryeh invite Mrs Teighman upstairs. Mrs Teighman asks Aryeh if his mother told him anything about her and Aryeh says no. So then she says she needs to tell them something important. She wants to explain to him how she knows his mother...

And then, of course, the story ends for the week Aaargh!!!! Banging head
Page 27 of 42   Previous  1  2  3 26  27  28 40  41  42  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room