Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Why do all singers/performers need to have a story?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 4:51 am
Why can't they just say they enjoy singing and making a living out of it?? Every week I read about another 'celebrity' that either had a difficult childhood or some type of struggle (which we all do).

amother
Aster

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 4:56 am
Everyone has a story.

But for some reason, people are more interested in hearing the story of those who are already famous.

If you write your story, your children and descendants will probably find it fascinating though.

amother
Mimosa

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 7:00 am
Did you bug my home I was just discussing this with a friend . These articles always portray them as nebechs who crawled out of their pitiful life and now always on a mission to inspire and reach as many people as possible but in reality
doing their job just like the plumber and secretary

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 9:54 am
amother Mimosa wrote:
Did you bug my home I was just discussing this with a friend . These articles always portray them as nebechs who crawled out of their pitiful life and now always on a mission to inspire and reach as many people as possible but in reality
doing their job just like the plumber and secretary

Exactly. I happen to love music, but singers and music videos don't exactly inspire or change my life.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 11:36 am
That article this week was especially bad. I finished it and just thought they made the singer sound like a real nebach, not even personally but like in his industry.

zaq

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 11:41 am
Because people love sob stories. If they would just say "I was a talented kid, loved singing and knew I could make more money, and sooner, by doing this than by going to accountant school " nobody would be interested.

amother
Hosta

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 11:46 am
because most frum people have a low self esteem so they were able to pull out of it and go public

amother
Stone

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 11:49 am
Which magazine was this in?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 11:50 am
zaq wrote:
Because people love sob stories. If they would just say "I was a talented kid, loved singing and knew I could make more money, and sooner, by doing this than by going to accountant school " nobody would be interested.

Maybe they think it will balance out the $10,000 they can charge a night for singing... Still, doesn't inspire me.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 1:31 pm
amother Teal wrote:
That article this week was especially bad. I finished it and just thought they made the singer sound like a real nebach, not even personally but like in his industry.
which singer, which magazine?

amother
Oleander

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 1:34 pm
Op I have no skin in the game but you seem hostile towards people who pour out their lives struggles. What is it for you? Why do you find it bothering it enough to still think about it after turning the page?

dena613

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 1:49 pm
I don't get that magazine, but I googled and was able to read beginning of article and I have a different question.
Why does that magazine conduct interviews and record them verbatim?
Like, (and I'm making this up, but here we go)
"I had difficulties in my childhood."
"What were they?" I inquired.

why is it a dialogue?

amother
Mimosa

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 3:48 pm
Unfortunately people are buying into the victim mentality.nobody chas vechalila had a decent childhood all these inspirational people will pick it apart

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 3:52 pm
amother Oak wrote:
which singer, which magazine?

I didn't want to say LH but like wow they made the singer sound so unsuccessful. It just wasn't smoothly written.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 4:13 pm
Personally, I was born in a dark pit, teeming with both snakes AND scorpions. I was raised by a pack of wolves. One day, I passed by Bais Sarah of Boro Stark, and I felt inexplicably drawn to the building. They tried to kick me out, but I had picked up special abilities from the wolves, like climbing in the windows, and eventually they accepted me into the school. After a few years, I was unrecognizable, and had adopted the principal as my third mother. (the first being my real one, the second being my mother wolf)
I was so inspired by what Hashem had Done for me that I couldn't keep it to myself. I just had to post it on substack. And thus Isha Yiras Hashem was born.

Edit: since this IS the internet, I suppose I need to add a disclaimer that this is a joke, even though that makes it less funny.

hodeez

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 4:33 pm
Have you seen any auditions for American idol? Everyone's got a story, makes for good tv

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 5:28 pm
amother Oleander wrote:
Op I have no skin in the game but you seem hostile towards people who pour out their lives struggles. What is it for you? Why do you find it bothering it enough to still think about it after turning the page?

Hostile?? You got that wrong. I would say I'm tired to hear the same old cliche. It seems pathetic when every second week singers are written about as inspirers. The truth is they are regular people like you and me. They are singing or performing primarily for their business, nothing more.

It wasnt only this week, but almost every other week...

And it's not only amongst us. In AGT people love getting up and saying they were bullied...

Redbird

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 5:43 pm
For some reason people find it more meaningful when a singer or artist has a backstory. Afikomen by eli levin is so moving because of the backstory, right?

We would balk at a song if we knew it was written/sung by AI, right? Even it was beautiful.

If someone sings a song about heartbreak, but we believe they lived a picture perfect idyllic life, it can sort of feel like a lie, no?

I guess because music can be a deep emotional thing? Maybe it feels like people who have been through pain have a better capacity for depth and emotion? (Which isn't necessarily true) We don't want to connect to something that's inauthentic.

I don't quite know - I'm thinking out loud. But I think there is legit reasoning behind this. We're probably psychologically hardwired like this for a reason. I don't think its all nonsense.

Trademark

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 6:33 pm
I guess I'm very cynical, but I see this as just another marketing tactic. Even if they have a backstory, why do they feel a need to bare their soul in public?

I think it's arrogant to think that people should take inspiration just because their a singer. It doesn't come across as genuine.

bebrave

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 6:42 pm
What else should magazines write about? Lol
They've run out of topics and so they interview singers. It's hard to keep a magazine running on a weekly basis 😃😃 but yes op, I so agree with you.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room