Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
School enforced a filter on devices- Update, need help...
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 4:01 pm
my sons school made us get stronger filters on all our devices
I had web chaver with the filtering but they said its not a good filter so they downloaded a stronger one.
im a little upset bc they didnt give us an option. I had netflix on my phone and like to watch documentaries at night or the great british baking show and the rabbi took it off and said I can use youtube instead. he also took off amazon, aliexpress, shein...I didnt have internet on it to begin with TAG disabled it years ago

I really was ok with my filter before its not like I didnt have a filter!

they also filtered my computer and this filter shades out any skin color. im ordering diapers and they blocked out the babies skin. its kind of pathetic! whats s-xual about a baby? they also block out women and mens faces and hands.

this religion hypersexualizes everything!

DrMom

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 4:04 pm
To me, this sounds controlling in the extreme. But I am not from this community.

Can you just get a laptop or tablet separate from your phone and install web chaver on it?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 4:06 pm
DrMom wrote:
To me, this sounds controlling in the extreme. But I am not from this community.

Can you just get a laptop or tablet separate from your phone and install web chaver on it?

I have a laptop and phone. They put this new filter on my laptop and said web chaver wasnt strong enough. My seminary teachers and rebbeim told me it was fine- my reports got sent weekly to my chaver and it did filter out inappropriate websites

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 4:08 pm
I want to put netflix back on my phone but now I have to call the rabbi for the code on my phone to put it in its so embarassing.

my son is 4. he doesnt even touch my phone I keep it in my room when im home

amother
Sage

The rabbanim want to make things like a totalitarian society.
Thats really not right that they took things off your device without even letting you know first.

Ema of 5

amother OP wrote:
I have a laptop and phone. They put this new filter on my laptop and said web chaver wasnt strong enough. My seminary teachers and rebbeim told me it was fine- my reports got sent weekly to my chaver and it did filter out inappropriate websites

In that case, I would second what DrMom recommended, and get a tablet.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 4:10 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
In that case, I would second what DrMom recommended, and get a tablet.

...why do I need to spend 1000 on a tablet? I dont have extra money for that

giftedmom

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 4:36 pm
This is why people lie

DrMom

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 4:37 pm
I bet you can get this filter program removed by a third party if necessary. But it sounds like the best thing to do would have been to not tell them about all the devices you own. Too late now...

I'd still go with buying a tablet. And not report it to them. All this is assuming switching schools is too high a price to pay, or is not possible.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 4:49 pm
amother OP wrote:
...why do I need to spend 1000 on a tablet? I dont have extra money for that

I didn’t say you need to. I just said what I would do. I wouldn’t be surprised if they are monitoring your activity, so I don’t know if removing the filter and putting on your own would work. If removing it from your phone or laptop won’t cause any trouble then just do that.
I think it’s awful that schools try to control their parent bodies to such an extreme. When we took our daughter for an interview for kindergarten (pre-1a) for one of our kids, the school wanted us to sign right then, before even accepting the child, that this child would not have their own device. We didn’t, and we didn’t send to that school. But seriously? Why am I signing an agreement before my kid is even in your school?

1ofbillions

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 4:57 pm
This sounds so crazy, I’m really sorry you’re dealing with it. It’s disgusting when people hijack Judaism and use it to control people.

You can get the Amazon tablet for $130 with ads on the lockscreen or $145 without ads on the lockscreen.

Limited-time deal: Amazon Fire HD 10 tablet, 10.1", 1080p Full HD, 64 GB, latest model (2021 release), Black https://a.co/d/b9udgN2

amother
Honey

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 5:08 pm
Are you due for an upgrade? Upgrade your phone and don’t let them have it.
Or get an inexpensive tablet. Check Amazon.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 5:27 pm
1ofbillions wrote:
This sounds so crazy, I’m really sorry you’re dealing with it. It’s disgusting when people hijack Judaism and use it to control people.

You can get the Amazon tablet for $130 with ads on the lockscreen or $145 without ads on the lockscreen.

Limited-time deal: Amazon Fire HD 10 tablet, 10.1", 1080p Full HD, 64 GB, latest model (2021 release), Black https://a.co/d/b9udgN2

What are the downsides to an Amazon tablet? Why are they so cheap?

amother
Lightpink

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 5:31 pm
I'm here to educate the really honest people and the black and white thinkers. Some people really only have kosher phones. But the ones that don't and there are a lot of them in every school-lie about it. Buy a kosher phone to use in public, or a second computer. That's what most people do they tell the school they only have a kosher phone and no computer. Unless someone want the filter on anyway.

Just a little advice, I was lucky that I had a smart phone very early before school's made a big deal about it. I thought I was safe as long as my kid didn't have access to it. By the time my kids was 6-7 years old she picked up a certain language that made me change my mind. She would say Google it mommy. For everything. She was so young she didn't even realize that you can't Google everything. I started really walking around with the kosher phone.

It's none of my business what you do but I would stay away from Netflix. Most of their documentaries are not real anyway. And it's a bunch of leftist/liberal woke content.

Nothing wrong with watching clean youtube videos for downtime. As a mature adult who grew past her 20's I believe there is so much from sites. Try to stick to those

Yeshiva world and others. And local community sites
Music 24 app jewish fm for music
Imamother for support

As well as apps to make life easier.
Shopping sites
Banking apps
Govement sites
Waze

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 6:45 pm
giftedmom wrote:
This is why people lie

I dont even have wifi at home to begin with. I bring my laptop to work to do my paperwork and shopping
they made us bring in all our devices so its a laptop and 2 phones

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 6:46 pm
amother Lightpink wrote:
I'm here to educate the really honest people and the black and white thinkers. Some people really only have kosher phones. But the ones that don't and there are a lot of them in every school-lie about it. Buy a kosher phone to use in public, or a second computer. That's what most people do they tell the school they only have a kosher phone and no computer. Unless someone want the filter on anyway.

Just a little advice, I was lucky that I had a smart phone very early before school's made a big deal about it. I thought I was safe as long as my kid didn't have access to it. By the time my kids was 6-7 years old she picked up a certain language that made me change my mind. She would say Google it mommy. For everything. She was so young she didn't even realize that you can't Google everything. I started really walking around with the kosher phone.

It's none of my business what you do but I would stay away from Netflix. Most of their documentaries are not real anyway. And it's a bunch of leftist/liberal woke content.

Nothing wrong with watching clean youtube videos for downtime. As a mature adult who grew past her 20's I believe there is so much from sites. Try to stick to those

Yeshiva world and others. And local community sites
Music 24 app jewish fm for music
Imamother for support

As well as apps to make life easier.
Shopping sites
Banking apps
Govement sites
Waze

I enjoy cooking shows on netflix. and documentaries about history. not ready to give it up and nothing "liberal woke" about those

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 6:47 pm
amother OP wrote:
I dont even have wifi at home to begin with. I bring my laptop to work to do my paperwork and shopping
they made us bring in all our devices so its a laptop and 2 phones

How did they make you bring in all your devices. Did they come to your home and do an extensive search? If not, they didn't know what you do or don't have. You just bring your kosher phone and zehu.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 6:49 pm
amother Antiquewhite wrote:
How did they make you bring in all your devices. Did they come to your home and do an extensive search? If not, they didn't know what you do or don't have. You just bring your kosher phone and zehu.

Im stupid thats why

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 6:50 pm
my husband doesnt even know the laptop password he doesnt ever go on it
why do I need a filter that blocks out womens skin Mad

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 6:54 pm
amother OP wrote:
Im stupid thats why

No, not stupid. Maybe naive, but we all experience that at different times so don't beat yourself up. Use this as a lesson learned, to know how to proceed in the future.
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics