Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
What can be done now in advance?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 2:46 pm
I have a small apartment and two little toddlers that are home with me all day. Making Pesach but will probably go out for at least half the meals so I'm not so concerned with cooking as much as I am cleaning. Everything I can think of, pretty much has to get used for chametz still for weeks so what can I clean now? My kids bring food everywhere - I only feed them in high chairs but somehow there's always still food on the floor, snacks they bring in from the park, etc that get around the house - while I'm cleaning one off from lunch the other is climbing onto the table to get a piece of bread etc and running away with it.

The only thing I can think of is doing the bedrooms and keeping the door closed, and preparing suppers for the week before Pesach now and putting in the freezer, plus finishing up chometz snacks and buying some Pesach ones. Any other ideas? They basically only eat chometz anyhow so I can't just stop serving it now, we'll manage for Pesach but it will be hard enough for one week.

Appreciate any tips!

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 2:48 pm
You don't necessarily have to switch to pesach snacks, you can just get stuff without chametz in it. Kitniyos isn't forbidden to own and "chametzdik" stuff because it was cut or prepped in your kitchen isn't necessarily chametz either. (ie. fruit, veggies, etc.)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 9:10 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
You don't necessarily have to switch to pesach snacks, you can just get stuff without chametz in it. Kitniyos isn't forbidden to own and "chametzdik" stuff because it was cut or prepped in your kitchen isn't necessarily chametz either. (ie. fruit, veggies, etc.)

Thanks, it's a good point. Still would like to get some things done now since I have so little time each day for anything.

Anyone have ideas?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 9:14 pm
Do a deep clean of the oven and freezer. I can't tell you how much easier, and less stressful it is to clean the oven and fridge before pesach, when you've recently just done it. Make sure to leave a cookie sheet on the bottom oven rack to catch drips, and to line the freezer with something easy like plastic liners to catch crumbs in the meantime.

While cleaning the freezer now, take stock of freezer and pantry. Make menus with plans on how to use up the food.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 9:19 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Do a deep clean of the oven and freezer. I can't tell you how much easier, and less stressful it is to clean the oven and fridge before pesach, when you've recently just done it. Make sure to leave a cookie sheet on the bottom oven rack to catch drips, and to line the freezer with something easy like plastic liners to catch crumbs in the meantime.

While cleaning the freezer now, take stock of freezer and pantry. Make menus with plans on how to use up the food.

Great ideas, thanks!!

zaq

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 9:20 pm
Clean your fridge and freezer and put all the contents in plastic or paper bags or boxes. Even shoeboxes will do. Your objective is to keep the interior of the appliance clean so you don't have to clean it all over again. You can do the same with kitchen cabinets: put down two layers of paper, put all food containers or packages into boxes or bags, and just before pesach, remove the top layer of paper and check that the bottom layer is still clean.

Check your pantry for closed packages of anything that's KLP year-round, remove it and put it with your Pesach stuff. Possibilities include grape juice, canned mushrooms, hearts of palm, pickles, pickled peppers, olives, but you may also have tuna or canned salmon or sardines or jam or other items left over from pesach last year.

amother
Moonstone

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 9:25 pm
Insides of cabinets can be done early. Bedroom closets, coat closets, clean some toys and put away till pesach?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 9:53 pm
zaq wrote:
Clean your fridge and freezer and put all the contents in plastic or paper bags or boxes. Even shoeboxes will do. Your objective is to keep the interior of the appliance clean so you don't have to clean it all over again. You can do the same with kitchen cabinets: put down two layers of paper, put all food containers or packages into boxes or bags, and just before pesach, remove the top layer of paper and check that the bottom layer is still clean.

Check your pantry for closed packages of anything that's KLP year-round, remove it and put it with your Pesach stuff. Possibilities include grape juice, canned mushrooms, hearts of palm, pickles, pickled peppers, olives, but you may also have tuna or canned salmon or sardines or jam or other items left over from pesach last year.

I feel like it's too early for that idea, no? Is it really practical to keep everything in boxes for three weeks?

I don't use processed items on Pesach so the second idea isn't really something I can do, thanks anyways!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 9:53 pm
amother Moonstone wrote:
Insides of cabinets can be done early. Bedroom closets, coat closets, clean some toys and put away till pesach?

Thanks, good ideas!

amother
Clematis

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 9:55 pm
ra_mom wrote:

Yes, I just did this. I cleaned out my fridge and put fridge liners on the shelves for now. Obviously I’m still using the fridge for chometz but it will be much easier to clean when it gets closer. I did the same for the freezer. Cleaned it out really well, lined it, put back food in neat ziplock bags and of course got rid of food that had to be thrown out. My fridge and freezer are being used fully for chometz now but I hope it will be much easier when it gets closer to pesach.
Also, don’t use erev pesach as your deadline. Instead make your deadline a week before. You can feed your kids kitniyos snacks, pesach snacks, cheese, yogurt, soup, chicken, eggs….
This week I will cook some chometz food and keep in the freezer. I’ll heat it up in the microwave once my oven is done before we are completely pesachdik.
For sure do your bedrooms now. No reason to wait until last minute. The day before pesach just do a quick vacuum and change the linen.

sarahmalka

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 9:57 pm
Purses and pockets can be cleaned early. I start to clear out the bathroom closet too, of things that may contain chametz. I'll keep them in a bin in the closet for now while still using some.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 10:00 pm
amother OP wrote:
I feel like it's too early for that idea, no? Is it really practical to keep everything in boxes for three weeks?

I don't use processed items on Pesach so the second idea isn't really something I can do, thanks anyways!

What if you clean your fridge and put in liners, and then replace the liners when you’re ready? Most of what goes into your fridge isn’t really chametz, especially containers and bottles that can be wiped off.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 10:03 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
What if you clean your fridge and put in liners, and then replace the liners when you’re ready? Most of what goes into your fridge isn’t really chametz, especially containers and bottles that can be wiped off.

Thanks, yes I think that could work, and what the amother above said.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics