Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
Seminary after Online school
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 1:18 pm
My DD is currently in online high school, she doesn't do Hebrew subjects in her online school, but she studies on her own. She really wants to go to a seminary the year after the next, does anyone know if she would have a chance to get into a frum seminary? If so, which ones have a chance to accept her? Would taking private classes for Hebrew subjects next year help so that she would have references?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 1:34 pm
I think a lot depends on why she’s doing online school. If you apply to newer less academic you probably have more of a chance.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 1:36 pm
If I were you I would package this as “homeschooled”

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 12:18 pm
Great thanks! Does anyone know of any seminarys that she should try applying to?

amother
Anemone

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 12:26 pm
amother OP wrote:
Great thanks! Does anyone know of any seminarys that she should try applying to?

To help answer that question:

What is your/her hashkafa?
What is her academic level in general?
How strong are her kodesh skills?
How string is her general knowledge of yiddishkeit?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 12:37 pm
amother Anemone wrote:
To help answer that question:

What is your/her hashkafa?
What is her academic level in general?
How strong are her kodesh skills?
How string is her general knowledge of yiddishkeit?

She has a lot of knowledge of yiddishekiet as she attended a frum Jewish elementary and middle school. She's not so great at Hebrew subjects but wants to take tutoring to get better next year. Our family is pretty much an out of town BY-type family, just a tad bit more on the modern side. She would fit in somewhere where people have smartphones but are still very frum(Keep tznius, shabbas etc). Hope that helps.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 1:11 pm
Darchei Binah would be great for her!

amother
Bluebell

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 1:14 pm
I second Darchei Bina.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 1:18 pm
Great thanks so much! do you know if she would have a hard time getting in? How selective are they?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 1:22 pm
Also, anyone know if theyre accredited?

Iymnok

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 2:30 pm
amother OP wrote:
Also, anyone know if theyre accredited?

AFAIK they are.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 18 2023, 11:36 pm
Anyone know if she would have a chance at Michlalah? Dont know if she would do well on the entrance exam.

nelliesmellie

Post Sat, Mar 18 2023, 11:44 pm
I would imagine that the reason for your daughter not attending traditional school is what will matter in terms of if she “has a chance” at seminary.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 18 2023, 11:50 pm
She goes because there are very limited options for Jewish high schools around us and she didnt fit into any.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sat, Mar 18 2023, 11:54 pm
amother OP wrote:
She goes because there are very limited options for Jewish high schools around us and she didnt fit into any.

What do you do about your sons' chinuch? Just curious.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 18 2023, 11:57 pm
Dont have any sons

nelliesmellie

Post Sat, Mar 18 2023, 11:58 pm
amother OP wrote:

That’s going to be the question- just prepare yourself for it. They may want to know why you live in a place that doesn’t have Jewish education for your kids, why she didn’t fit in to the options that were available etc etc. I don’t know of an advisor outside of a school but they probably exist- see if you can find one and lay it all out. But do be prepared for those questions (you don’t have to share here, just realize the questions will come), and prepare your daughter for those questions when she goes on interviews.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 18 2023, 11:59 pm
nelliesmellie wrote:
That’s going to be the question- just prepare yourself for it. They may want to know why you live in a place that doesn’t have Jewish education for your kids, why she didn’t fit in to the options that were available etc etc. I don’t know of an advisor outside of a school but they probably exist- see if you can find one and lay it all out. But do be prepared for those questions (you don’t have to share here, just realize the questions will come), and prepare your daughter for those questions when she goes on interviews.

Ok thanks so much!

amother
Tulip

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 12:32 am
amother OP wrote:
Anyone know if she would have a chance at Michlalah? Dont know if she would do well on the entrance exam.

When I was there many years ago the curriculum at Michlalah was very academic. I don’t know if she would enjoy that or be happy there if her skills aren’t currently strong. Of course you should check with people who were there more recently to see if it’s changed.

amother
Chicory

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 12:34 am
amother Tulip wrote:
When I was there many years ago the curriculum at Michlalah was very academic. I don’t know if she would enjoy that or be happy there if her skills aren’t currently strong. Of course you should check with people who were there more recently to see if it’s changed.

Definitely still very academic
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info