Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Is he being overly cautious? update
1  2  3  4  5  Next

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 7:26 am
My baby was 6lb 10oz at birth. Now, four months later, he is 11lb 10.5oz. He nurses and takes a bottle (usually 3-4oz) after every daytime feeding if he doesn’t fall asleep.
I took him to the doc yesterday for something, and he weighed him because we haven’t been there in three months. He wasn’t happy with the gain (or lack there of) and said I should start him on solids 2x/day.
I have no issue giving him solids, just wondering if I should actually be concerned. (Also he is gaining slower than my slowest gainer, who ended up failure to thrive and still has gaining issues.)

Last edited by Ema of 5 on Wed, Mar 15 2023, 4:34 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 7:34 am
Honestly? Even my 4lb preemie weighed more than that at that age. My 6lb 3oz baby did as well. I’d either fortify your BM or start on solids

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 7:40 am
amother Chocolate wrote:
Honestly? Even my 4lb preemie weighed more than that at that age. My 6lb 3oz baby did as well. I’d either fortify your BM or start on solids

I started already, was just wondering if he was being overly cautious, or rightfully concerned. The last thing I want is another child who is failure to thrive.
How do I fortify my milk?

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 7:41 am
My babies take forever to start eating solids - they barely eat anything the first two months.

Are the bottles you’re giving formula or your milk? I would give more formula bottles.

dinglehopper

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 7:41 am
The size isn't actually concerning. But why hasn't your baby been weighed in there months. Now there isn't any way to see if he is gaining steadily or if he is stuck. I'd do a month of follow up weekly weighs and go from there. Speak to your doctor and try and figure it out. Solids don't have more calories than milk and he might then be too full for milk and that defeats the purpose.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 7:43 am
amother Violet wrote:
My babies take forever to start eating solids - they barely eat anything the first two months.

Are the bottles you’re giving formula or your milk? I would give more formula bottles.

I gave him some squash from chicken soup yesterday, and he ate it very nicely.
I give formula bottles- materna stage 1.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 7:44 am
dinglehopper wrote:
The size isn't actually concerning. But why hasn't your baby been weighed in there months. Now there isn't any way to see if he is gaining steadily or if he is stuck. I'd do a month of follow up weekly weighs and go from there. Speak to your doctor and try and figure it out. Solids don't have more calories than milk and he might then be too full for milk and that defeats the purpose.

When I gave him the squash yesterday, it was a little while after I had nursed and given a bottle.

amother
Aster

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 7:46 am
How much formula does he end up getting in a 24 hour period? How does he compare to your other children? Is he a happy, content baby?

I would personally rather increase the amount of formula he's getting than start solids at such a young age. (My pediatrician also recommends starting solids early, but there's plenty of controversy on the topic.)

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 7:53 am
amother Aster wrote:
How much formula does he end up getting in a 24 hour period? How does he compare to your other children? Is he a happy, content baby?

I would personally rather increase the amount of formula he's getting than start solids at such a young age. (My pediatrician also recommends starting solids early, but there's plenty of controversy on the topic.)

He is a very happy and content baby, and he also sleeps well at night BH. He gets up to 5 bottles a day, but sometimes he falls asleep while nursing and then either I skip the bottle or he will take it between two nursings, but won’t necessarily drink the whole thing.

amother
Grape

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 7:53 am
How old was he at the last weight check and how much did he weigh then? I think I remember that this baby had a slow start. At this rate, he's gaining approximately 4 ounces a week, which is really in the normal range. Maybe speak to a pediatric dietitian or lactation consultant. They are really the ones who know best about nutrition and feeding for a baby, better than a pediatrician. Also, solids aren't necessarily more caloric than formula. I don't really believe that 1 oz of squash is going to help pack on the weight more than the equivalent of 1 oz of formula. I would really try to get someone else(meaning another professional,) to give an opinion here.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 7:57 am
amother Grape wrote:
How old was he at the last weight check and how much did he weigh then? I think I remember that this baby had a slow start. At this rate, he's gaining approximately 4 ounces a week, which is really in the normal range. Maybe speak to a pediatric dietitian or lactation consultant. They are really the ones who know best about nutrition and feeding for a baby, better than a pediatrician. Also, solids aren't necessarily more caloric than formula. I don't really believe that 1 oz of squash is going to help pack on the weight more than the equivalent of 1 oz of formula. I would really try to get someone else(meaning another professional,) to give an opinion here.

Yes, you are remembering correctly. His last official weight check was at one month. The ped said that because we had been there so frequently for weight checks, he didn’t ALSO need to come back for the one month. Then he was sick on the day of his two month and I pushed it off because I didn’t want to vaccinate him when he was sick. Then life got hectic, and I didn’t reschedule. (Also, because he was small and gaining slowly, I’m not really thrilled about inundating him with vaccines right now anyway.) I took him to the doc yesterday because he has a rash, and the doc weighed him while we were there.
Can anyone recommend a pediatric dietician or lactation consultant in the 5T area? I really don’t want to go to Brooklyn or out to LI….

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 8:03 am
Oh, one thing which I forgot to add, which is probably important, is that he spits up a TON.

giftedmom

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 8:05 am
amother Grape wrote:

Who gives squash to a baby that needs to gain weight? I started mine on full fat yogurt, butter, avocado, and runny eggs at 4 months even though bh her weight is above average.

giftedmom

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 8:06 am
Ema of 5 wrote:
Oh, one thing which I forgot to add, which is probably important, is that he spits up a TON.

Is it possible this is due to an intolerance that’s preventing him from absorbing his formula properly? Hence the slow weight gain?

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 8:23 am
giftedmom wrote:
Who gives squash to a baby that needs to gain weight? I started mine on full fat yogurt, butter, avocado, and runny eggs at 4 months even though bh her weight is above average.

I started him on squash because I don’t have anything in the house that I can give him. It’s not like I was planning on starting him on solids soon. I didn’t think of eggs though, I’ll try that today instead. Maybe I’ll get some avocado too. When you say butter, what did you put it in? I’m pretty sure you didn’t give it plain.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 8:24 am
giftedmom wrote:
Is it possible this is due to an intolerance that’s preventing him from absorbing his formula properly? Hence the slow weight gain?

Very possible, at least from my perspective. I forgot to mention it to the ped yesterday, but I did put in a call this morning and am waiting for a call back. I’m debating if I should just make an appointment with a GI anyway….

amother
Impatiens

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 9:13 am
Would you be open to a nutritionist on zoom? Have a wonderful recommendation. She worked with us when dc was in EI (in Brooklyn) but she does private session s on zoom now.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 9:24 am
amother Impatiens wrote:
Would you be open to a nutritionist on zoom? Have a wonderful recommendation. She worked with us when dc was in EI (in Brooklyn) but she does private session s on zoom now.

Sure!!
I just got off the phone with the ped. He said that starting solids might help with the constant spit up, so try for a week and see what happens with the spitting up during that time. He said if he’s still spitting up so much after a week, then we will discuss medication vs. going to a gi.

amother
Impatiens

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 9:31 am
Ema of 5 wrote:
Sure!!
I just got off the phone with the ped. He said that starting solids might help with the constant spit up, so try for a week and see what happens with the spitting up during that time. He said if he’s still spitting up so much after a week, then we will discuss medication vs. going to a gi.

I’ll pm you her name and number. She’s awesome!

amother
Lightblue

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 10:35 am
A 4month Olds gut is wayyy to immature for solids. Please don't do that to him. Rather figure out what's causing the slow weight gain. Maybe add a digestive enzyme? Remove foods from your diet? Check for tongue ties?
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics