Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
20$ an hour

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 12:53 pm
For my first social work job. I know it’s major to get that *first* job in this field, but it seems really little how much they are offering. Is this the norm? Should I continue to look for a job that’s better paying?

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 12:55 pm
I don't know how much social workers are making but high school graduates with no work experience are starting out at $20-$25 at office jobs.

amother
Sage

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 12:57 pm
In Brooklyn the rates are much lower than in Nj. Also are you working for non profits, cuz they pay much less. I’ve worked for non profits and there’s almost no hope unless you get your connections to rise up. For a profitable company you should be making much more.

amother
Snow

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 1:00 pm
$20 an hour is very little. Inexperienced high school graduates are making $20 or more.

cupcake123

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 1:02 pm
That sounds like very little to me

amother
Sage

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 1:02 pm
Op, I worked in Brooklyn in a non profit and after my few raises I made $20. Ppl wouldn’t believe me. I’m Not a social worker but my co worker who was a social worker started there at $20, and I couldn’t believe how someone with a degree would take that offer. I wonder if you’re working at the same place as I did, or any of the non profits in the Flatbush area, they’re Al the same, pay almost nothing for the average worker. Find a job that pays better.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 1:11 pm
amother OP wrote:
For my first social work job. I know it’s major to get that *first* job in this field, but it seems really little how much they are offering. Is this the norm? Should I continue to look for a job that’s better paying?

Are you fully licensed already or are you still working on your hours towards getting your license? If the former then its low pay, if the latter then its fine since you are not licensed yet. Even if you are licensed and take the job, look at it as a way to get your foot in the door so to speak and once you have more experience in the field, you can get a new job at a different agency that pays better. Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics