Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Cleaning Cooking and Shopping Hacks for Pesach
Previous  1  2  3

curlyhead

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 7:36 pm
Take a calendar and work backward when do you want to turn over, kasher, start the kitchen

Clean the kitchen before the living room.
Have a chometz place to cook - ie I use electric appliances while cleaning the kitchen in my laundry

Make lists and store them year to year

Whatever you can shop and order in advance do.
I am cleaning one freezer next week as that is a big job to get out of the way early on and then you can buy meat.
Papergoods and dry goods can be purchased early on. Do not leave things to last minute whatever can be ordered online or via email do.

Leave at least 2 days to cook before Pesach.
Bribe your kids to help. Big kids are responsible for their room.

the earlier you declutter the better.

For stove vinegar and baking soda works great.

I declutter my kitchen and put everything out away few days before I actually Pesach clean it. Once it is clear it is a lot easier to clean.
From Rosh Chodesh no chometz snacks

amother
Obsidian

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 6:23 pm
amother Chestnut wrote:
I use my oven tons
Dice a lot of onions into baking pans and pour oil over it and bake on low overnight and you have fried onions for all recipes
I make applesauce in deep 9x13 in oven overnight also. I do from apples and pears 4 pans in total over one night.
We only drink fresh squeezed juice so I started doing that outside in my backyard so I don’t have a huge sticky mess inside.

How do you make the applesauce ? Is there a recipe? What kind of apples?

amother
Chestnut

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 6:55 pm
amother Obsidian wrote:
How do you make the applesauce ? Is there a recipe? What kind of apples?

Not sure which apples.
Whatever I’ve gotten from our communities boxes.
I use the apple peeler, corer, slicer.
Fill a deep 9x13 almost fill. Pour some sugar (between 1/2 to one cup depends how sweet you like)
Then cover with water and bake on low overnight.
I do with sliced apples. And with quartered pears.
I put 4 pans in at a time.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 12:05 am
Some tips.

in cleaning, anything that's more last minute and your dreading (someone mentioned dining room chairs, for me it's fridge etc) do already now once over so when you get to it a few days before Pesach it's more of a wipe down than a massive scrub.

The first day I cook (3 days before erev chag so Sunday this year) I do the basics I use all yt, squeeze lemons ,sautee onion, make tomatoe sauce, compote, a big veg soup and a big chicken soup
for next 2 days carefully plan how you will cook so you are using stove top and ovens evenly (IE not all oven food in one day etc).

On your lists make jobs for kids....and let the kids see the lists....ex erev Pesach jobs, but paper towel (ruchi), squeeze oranges (binny) etc.....get them involved...it's worth it
Obviously toddlers and babies the 3 days before the more they are at the park with a babysitter the better lol!

amother
Marigold

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 1:44 am
One tip that has helped my sanity immensely:
A few weeks before pesach I put in an order at the butcher for my chicken exactly the way I need it - x chicken quarters skinned, x chicken quarters with skin, x kg schnitzel, x kg chicken cutlets cubed. It's true that this is somewhat more expensive than buying packaged chickens, but not nearly as much as ordering any food.

Then I clean my kitchen table very well, double cover it, and prepare all the chicken in pans according to how much I need for each meal and label it accordingly. So I spice the spiced chicken, coat the "breaded" chicken, prepare the schnitzel, etc. All using new klp items and new disposable dishes and aluminum pans.
And freeze everything raw. I then bake, fry, or cook everything fresh, but all the prep work has been done in advance, so it's really only the side dishes than need to be done in that short crunch time between kashering the kitchen and erev pesach.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 12:02 pm
amother Marigold wrote:
One tip that has helped my sanity immensely:
A few weeks before pesach I put in an order at the butcher for my chicken exactly the way I need it - x chicken quarters skinned, x chicken quarters with skin, x kg schnitzel, x kg chicken cutlets cubed. It's true that this is somewhat more expensive than buying packaged chickens, but not nearly as much as ordering any food.

Then I clean my kitchen table very well, double cover it, and prepare all the chicken in pans according to how much I need for each meal and label it accordingly. So I spice the spiced chicken, coat the "breaded" chicken, prepare the schnitzel, etc. All using new klp items and new disposable dishes and aluminum pans.
And freeze everything raw. I then bake, fry, or cook everything fresh, but all the prep work has been done in advance, so it's really only the side dishes than need to be done in that short crunch time between kashering the kitchen and erev pesach.

But you do this in your chometz kitchen? I don't know, with my little ones I have cheerios bouncing off the walls lol.

mha3484

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 12:07 pm
I dont cover my counters anymore. I put a large plastic folding table and a cart on wheels in the center of my kitchen and that is my work space all week. Figuring this out saves me so much time and effort.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 12:52 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I dont cover my counters anymore. I put a large plastic folding table and a cart on wheels in the center of my kitchen and that is my work space all week. Figuring this out saves me so much time and effort.

So what happens to your counters all Pesach? Are they covered with anything? How do you prevent family members from putting things on them and yourself from accidentally using them out of habit?

mha3484

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 1:06 pm
I clear off anything I keep on them, I wash them well I just don't cover with foil etc. Its been working for me the past few years. My kids are used to it and know where to put stuff back.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 1:10 pm
My hack is that my kids know that when they wake up in the morning, after davening and eating, each one is responsible to peel 10 potatoes before they do anything else. Very Happy Except shabbos/yt obviously.

amother
Marigold

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 1:16 pm
amother Coral wrote:
But you do this in your chometz kitchen? I don't know, with my little ones I have cheerios bouncing off the walls lol.

I do clear my counters from chametz and sweep the floor first (though really unnecessary and floor is irrelevant because if something were to fall it wouldn't be usable for pesach). I am very ocd when it comes to pesach, no chometz gets into the pesach food.
If you want to try this and are worried about the chametz in your kitchen, you can do it on the dining room table instead or set up a folding table anywhere in the house.
And either do it when your little kids are in school or asleep, or get a babysitter to watch them for a couple of hours.

Hatzlacha rabba!!

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 1:36 pm
amother Vermilion wrote:
My hack is that my kids know that when they wake up in the morning, after davening and eating, each one is responsible to peel 10 potatoes before they do anything else. Very Happy Except shabbos/yt obviously.

I LOVE this! When my kids were younger, they would be all excited to help the first day of cooking and would peel a case of potatoes. I would rinse, bag, and refrigerate, and use them as I needed them.

miracle

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 1:52 pm
I make a menu every year and number of ppl by each meal - I do my shopping accordingly (a real headache, yes) and motzaei Pesach I summarise what I actually used and what I could change for next year, so when Pesach comes up again - Like now - I take my list and much easier to plan my menus and shopping... I keep it simple and delicious
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics