Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Slow Cookers Which Brand to Buy?

pleaseadvice

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 12:14 pm
Which brand of slow cookers do you have and recommend?

Any experience with Magic Mill? Pro Chef? and others?

Pleaseadvice

Machel

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 1:33 pm
I use a crockpot brand. But whatever you decide just get the basic model with the knob, vs a digital one. I got rid of a digital one that was gifted to me and bought a knob one because they are way more useful for Chag and Shabbos

Amarante

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 1:37 pm
Get one that enables you to saute in the crockpot. Most dishes are so much better if you saute the onions and garlic or other vegetables or sear the meat they way you would if you were cooking on the stove,

Then you just proceed.

Also helpful is the automatic "keep warm" function so that if you are not home when the food is done the crockpot automatically sets itself to a keep warm temperature

pleaseadvice

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 1:43 pm
Amarante - thanks for your reply which one can you recommend that you can saute in crock pot?

Amarante

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 1:47 pm
pleaseadvice wrote:
Amarante - thanks for your reply which one can you recommend that you can saute in crock pot?

Mine is a Cuisinart. I have always had good luck with that brand.

The ability to sear or saute is a game changer because with my older standard crockpot I just could't saute and sear separately and then put it in the crockpot because that defeated the ease of a crockpot. This way you sear/saute and then start the crockpot function all in one pan/pot

Also have you considered an Instant Pot. They are nothing like the scary pressure cookers of the last generation. They are the opposite of a crockpot but also incredibly convenient for a busy cook because you can get the advantages of a long braise in a short period of time.

pleaseadvice

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 1:53 pm
Is the Cuisinart a big one? How many quarts? model?
Is it programmable?

Amarante

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 2:00 pm
pleaseadvice wrote:
Is the Cuisinart a big one? How many quarts? model?
Is it programmable?

It is 6 or 7 quarts. It has multiple functions so it is a bit more expensive.

If you are only interested in the saute function, there are less expensive ones

The premium Cuisinart 6-Quart 3-in-1 Cook Central Multicooker looks stunning on any countertop thanks to its stainless steel styling. The Cook Central makes cooking for family and crowds simple because of the three preset functions that will saute, steam, and slow cook any recipe to perfection. The convenient Keep Warm feature comes on once the cooking is complete, so you never have to worry about serving cold dishes at dinner parties again. And when your meal is over, the removable cooking pot is nonstick and dishwasher safe for effortless cleanup.

Multi-Functional
The first step to creating your meal with the Cook Central is selecting the cooking function.

Slow Cook
Slow cooking is perfect for foods that require long, slow simmering, such as soups, stocks, stews, and dried beans. This function is also ideal when cooking tougher and less expensive cuts of meat like shoulder and pot roast. The Slow Cook function has three temperature settings -- High, Low, and Simmer. For recipes that need to cook longer, use the Simmer and Low settings. When starting a dish later in the day, select the High setting. A 24-hour timer and automatic Keep Warm mode ensure your food is ready to eat when you are.

Brown or sauté with temperatures up to 400 degrees F. Use the extra-large steaming rack to steam vegetables. Slow cook on your schedule with programmable settings.
Steam
Steaming is one of the healthiest methods of cooking. No butter or oil is required and fewer nutrients are lost in the steaming process. To steam anything from asparagus to shrimp, insert the included steaming rack and no more than 2 quarts of water or other liquid in the cooking pot and cover with the lid. Once steaming is complete, carefully remove food from the pot with a spoon, fork or tongs and enjoy.

Brown/Sauté
Use the Brown/Sauté function as you would a skillet or sauté pan on the stovetop for a variety of recipes. Prepare a quickly sautéed skillet dish or brown food right in the pot as the first step of your family's favorite slow cooker recipe. You can use this function to reheat foods as well. Just use Brown/Sauté at 350 degrees F and stir until all ingredients are warmed through.

Once you have chosen the cooking function that best fits your recipe, simply set the desired time and temperature, and then press Start.

Machel

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 5:07 pm
Amarante wrote:
Get one that enables you to saute in the crockpot. Most dishes are so much better if you saute the onions and garlic or other vegetables or sear the meat they way you would if you were cooking on the stove,

Then you just proceed.

Also helpful is the automatic "keep warm" function so that if you are not home when the food is done the crockpot automatically sets itself to a keep warm temperature

I didn't like mine that had a "keep warm" function. I understand why it's useful but it meant I couldn't leave it on for Multiple day chags
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen