Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Is it weird to have multiple kids named for the same person?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 4:41 pm
Names changed- we have a relative who I think was named after a Chassidish rebbe - so let’s say Yosef Yitzchak. We’ve already used Yosef for one son. I pushed for both but DH wanted to combine it with a different name and just have this relative in mind, so my son has the middle name Yosef. If our next baby is a boy, would it be weird to use the name Yitzchak (again, fake names, but I actually really like the meaning of the real one and would love to use it) and have this same relative in mind?

amother
Milk

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 4:44 pm
No
Quite common in fact

paperflowers

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 4:52 pm
Binyamin had 10 sons named for Yosef.
But I don’t know anyone who has done what you are describing. That doesn’t mean that there is anything wrong with it.

amother
DarkRed

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 4:57 pm
I know many people who have done this. Splitting names like this, both a girl and a boy named for them, a name for the name and a name for the middah they exemplified.

kenz

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 5:00 pm
You mean people have more than one child with the the same name? Like the George Forman phenomenon?

amother
Freesia

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 5:47 pm
I thought she meant multiple cousins named for the same person. That's not weird but it's extremely confusing, especially if their fathers are brothers, and even more so if they're close in age. How many Menachem Mendel Leizerovitches does one family need?

happy chick

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 5:54 pm
Splitting the name of one person for two children? It's not weird, but once you split a name, it's not for the same person anymore. Chaim is one name, Yosef is another. Chaim Yosef is a third. This is just one opinion, and it mine. You may have another.

Child naming is a very personal matter and there is very little that can be "wrong". You have to do what you're comfortable with.

amother
Mintcream

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 6:11 pm
I think it would be beyond amazing and touching for my kids to all name their daughters for my mother A”H”. It just shows genuine love and respect for a previous generation (and for me).And I would be so grateful if my kids would do that. So there would be a bunch of let’s say Rochels running around. I think it’s beautiful.

That would mean multiple cousins.

amother
Daylily

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 6:18 pm
amother OP wrote:
Names changed- we have a relative who I think was named after a Chassidish rebbe - so let’s say Yosef Yitzchak. We’ve already used Yosef for one son. I pushed for both but DH wanted to combine it with a different name and just have this relative in mind, so my son has the middle name Yosef. If our next baby is a boy, would it be weird to use the name Yitzchak (again, fake names, but I actually really like the meaning of the real one and would love to use it) and have this same relative in mind?

My grandfather passed away before my aunt and uncle had their first child. It was a girl, so they named her “in memory of” my grandfather. When they had their first son, they named him after my grandfather.
My mother in laws mother had two names. One of my husband’s siblings was only ably to use one name at the time. When the next girl was born they used the other name.
I don’t think it would be weird at all.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names