Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Can someone explain maternity leave to me? (NY)
Previous  1  2

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 9:45 pm
amother OP wrote:
Im nervous. We also cant live on that.
Did you ever consider switching to DOE?
Thanks for taking the time to help me btw :-)

Personally, I have not considered switching. While there is the obvious pro of a much better salary and benefits, there are many cons that would not work for me right now.

Just thinking- if you need some extra money and can't find a speech job in the summer, would you take a diff job? I know some speech therapists who work in day camps in the summer as a secretary or morah or specialty like arts and crafts or baking. Or can you do some babysitting just for the summer....maybe that'll help you get through the months

doodlesmom

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 9:51 pm
amother OP wrote:
Ive been trying. I reached out to different agencies and its very hard to get a full caseload since not all kids have summer mandates.

Even a partial case load will bring in money so that you don’t run on empty…

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 9:55 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
Even a partial case load will bring in money so that you don’t run on empty…

they gave me partial last summer which was 2.5 days. but after I paid the babysitter and gas I wasnt left with much

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 9:57 pm
amother Cobalt wrote:
Personally, I have not considered switching. While there is the obvious pro of a much better salary and benefits, there are many cons that would not work for me right now.

Just thinking- if you need some extra money and can't find a speech job in the summer, would you take a diff job? I know some speech therapists who work in day camps in the summer as a secretary or morah or specialty like arts and crafts or baking. Or can you do some babysitting just for the summer....maybe that'll help you get through the months

thats true.
sure id take a different job. trying to find a morah or secretary job possibly

amother
Moonstone

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 8:49 pm
When I did PFL after working as a P3 provider and giving birth in late September, I counted the 2 weeks I worked in September and the 6 weeks I worked in May and June. I didn't work in July or August or the first week of September so I didn't count those weeks.

Also if you do disability, keep in mind they don't count the first week you go on disability. So you have to go a week with no payment at all, then there are 5 weeks of disability, and then at that point you are 6 weeks post partum and eligible to go back to work so they no longer pay disability. So even though you are eligible for 6 weeks of disability, at the end of the day you only get to use 5.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics