Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
What do u like about living in Miami & what dont u like?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 7:30 pm
What do you like abt living in North Miami/Miami Beach? And what don't you like about it?

amother
NeonPink

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 8:00 pm
I like the weather during the winter, beach nearby, plenty of kosher restaurants, social events and activities, kollel is active and plenty of places to daven.

Parts I don’t like: traffic, people moving in seem to be very, very wealthy and the normally more low key part of being here is very much changing. Even though there are school choices, and new schools are opening, it doesn’t seem like enough. Restaurants are expensive (as are the kosher markets). Seems they cater to vacationers, but people live here full time and it’s expensive!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 10:35 pm
Anyone else?

amother
Anemone

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 10:36 pm
Weather !
Traffic!

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 10:37 pm
Love it all

amother
Valerian

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 10:37 pm
amother NeonPink wrote:
I like the weather during the winter, beach nearby, plenty of kosher restaurants, social events and activities, kollel is active and plenty of places to daven.

Parts I don’t like: traffic, people moving in seem to be very, very wealthy and the normally more low key part of being here is very much changing. Even though there are school choices, and new schools are opening, it doesn’t seem like enough. Restaurants are expensive (as are the kosher markets). Seems they cater to vacationers, but people live here full time and it’s expensive!

Restaurants are expensive? Restaurants in Miami are cheaper than restaurants in NY/NJ.

amother
Iris

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 10:39 pm
Miami Beach and NMB are very different neighborhoods, crowds also overlap but are also very different

amother
Daphne

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 10:41 pm
amother Anemone wrote:
Weather !
Traffic!

Agree with both. Also prices of kosher food. I enjoyed reading about all the inexpensive Purim mms centered around J&J iced coffees. Be prepared to pay over $3 here per J&J container. Ok, you can live without the iced coffee, but that's just one example of a specific product cost you may have to adjust to or cut back in, if you're one of the J&J drinkers. (They used to not be stocked up on these so well and would run out often and not restock for awhile, but in the last year or so the stores have been ordering much more. I guess the newcomers can't do without and are willing to pay $3.29 each, which was the price last time I checked!)

amother
Rainbow

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 10:52 pm
amother OP wrote:
What do you like abt living in North Miami/Miami Beach? And what don't you like about it?

Pros:
Weather
Active warm community vibe
The diverse crowd- Lakewood kollels to ModOx crowds
Good food/fun/shopping
Chill atmosphere, there’s literally no pressure (which is also a con technically)

Cons:
Traffic
Expenses- especially in Miami Beach/Surfside area. Real estate is ridiculously high and stores are priced for tourists ($$$) despite the large residential population.
Hashkafos- I have never really lived elsewhere but I can see this being a hurdle for someone from a more typical in-town area.

amother
Whitewash

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 11:01 pm
I live in NMB and I love it here. I love the weather, my neighborhood is amazing.

Pros:
- the schools are diverse, although lately some of them are moving to the right and starting to look like the typical super yeshivish, we only accept our own kind you'll find in Lakewood and Monsey. So this is a pro and a con.
- So. Many. Restaurants.
- the weather!! We do outdoor activities year round.
- genuinely nice people

Cons:
- traffic - we avoid Miami Beach at all costs
- smaller selection at the kosher supermarkets, although they've gotten better lately
- we don't have a really delicious Brooklyn style bakery
- housing costs have really gone to the insane end of the spectrum.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 11:48 pm
amother Rainbow wrote:
Pros:

Cons:

Hashkafos- I have never really lived elsewhere but I can see this being a hurdle for someone from a more typical in-town area.

Can you please elaborate on what you mean by this?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 12:03 am
amother Whitewash wrote:
I live in NMB and I love it here. I love the weather, my neighborhood is amazing.

Pros:
- the schools are diverse, although lately some of them are moving to the right and starting to look like the typical super yeshivish, we only accept our own kind you'll find in Lakewood and Monsey. So this is a pro and a con.
- So. Many. Restaurants.
- the weather!! We do outdoor activities year round.
- genuinely nice people

Cons:
- traffic - we avoid Miami Beach at all costs
- smaller selection at the kosher supermarkets, although they've gotten better lately
- we don't have a really delicious Brooklyn style bakery
- housing costs have really gone to the insane end of the spectrum.

I wish I can move to Florida, especially for the bolded reason, but I’m chassidish, and I want my kids to grow up with a chassidish chinuch, but I wish I can move to NMB.

The ppl there are so nice, warm community, and they don't live with so much social pressure.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics