Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
Nishmas BY

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 8:41 am
I know this is a relatively newer seminary but can anyone tell me more about it. Type of girls, warmth, etc? It is a seminary my DD is talking a lot about but I dont know so much about it, other than it’s run by Rebbetzin Jacobowitz. Thank you!

MindOverMatter

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 11:06 am
Wonderful warm seminary. Very very frum. (I wouldn't say just stam yeshivish, bc it's more of a mix than that, OOT yeshivish and in town yeshivish mean different things. They have both.) Girls are already on very firm ground with their Yiddishkite, remained incredibly strong through highschool and are wanting more. (These are incredibly good and kind girls. Zero jappy feel. Ruchnius over gashmius, just the real deal. The first to grab tehillim when someone is sick, the first to say yes to a chesed opportunities, etc)
Sounds intimidating if the girls weren't zees, but they are. Sweethearts.
If your kid needs room to get there on her own, Nishmas might not be for her. This is for a kid who wants to be surrounded by girls who expect the best choices, already. Has to be good for her and NOT move her in the other direction if it's too much.
Love the kids that are going from my Daughter's BY.

Last edited by MindOverMatter on Tue, Mar 14 2023, 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total

subee

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 11:13 am
Are they still taking applications?

MindOverMatter

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 11:28 am
subee wrote:
Are they still taking applications?

Ohhh . .... would assume that they are all full . . . But can't hurt to contact them.
This is for next year?
Did your daughter not apply to seminaries on time for the first round?

Is your school helping?

amother
Brass

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 11:37 am
I am sure that OP is asking about next year, they are definitely full.
As another poster described it is for very frum girls (think only wear Tznius night gowns to sleep...) and very very sweet very fine very eidel girls.

bsy

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 12:19 pm
Um they do not all wear tznius nightgowns to sleep..... I have a close relative there. It's frum and yeshivish but that point is not accurate. My relative is a regular basis Yaakov girl. Not extreme or more frum than other seminaries.

MindOverMatter

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 12:24 pm
I posted an earlier reply. My daughter's friends who go there also wear leggings to sleep (long skirt and sweatshirt if leaving the room to use facilities) 🤣
But I do feel that the sem is hashkafically shtark, as far as teenage girls go, nighttime sleepwear aside 🙂

MindOverMatter

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 12:28 pm
Meaning, that the vibe is shtark, in a gentle way. Not that the sem has more rules than other yeshivish BY sems.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 12:49 pm
MindOverMatter wrote:
Meaning, that the vibe is shtark, in a gentle way. Not that the sem has more rules than other yeshivish BY sems.

Nishmas officially has no rules.(except curfew)

They only accept girls who they expect to know what to do on their own.

Very solid, frum, yeshivish, girls. Not "frafrumpt".
Limited nightgowns! LOL.

Much more oot than other yeshivish BY sems (which tend to be heavily Lakewood). This is by design as rebb jacobowitz caps the number of Lakewood.

Vibe is very very nice, friendly and down to earth. Gashmiyus pressure is low, and gashmiyus in general is lower level among the girls than typical Lakewood.

About 70% of the school stayed for pesach last year. (First year)

My school said that academics are much much higher than average, but not bjj or mesoras rochel for reference. Not sure what that means. They have similar teachers to other by sems. I think they have fewer reports.
At the open house, rebb jacobowitz said she does not believe in giving so much work that the girls sleep in class.
The girls who are going are serious and not partying types. But they do know how to have fun! Probably are tired in class anyway Smile.

amother
Navyblue

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 12:51 pm
I have a niece there and my dd is going there next year. Definitely frummer than the regular BY seminaries. I wouldn't gauge by sleepwear; dd wears long sleeved pajamas. Everything MindOverMatter says is accurate.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 7:06 pm
Thanks so much! This was all very helpful and reinforces that this is a great option to look into. I have heard it’s in Mea Shearim. Have you heard anything about how that affects the experience?

bsy

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 7:13 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks so much! This was all very helpful and reinforces that this is a great option to look into. I have heard it’s in Mea Shearim. Have you heard anything about how that affects the experience?

My relative loves it. In fact, 2 meah shearim girls asked to borrow seminary clothes for Purim. In return, they lent my relative the black headgear and she dressed up too Smile

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 8:06 pm
amother OP wrote:

Meah shearim and proximity to kosel are amazing not comparable experiences. This is something the girls cannot replicate even if they move to ey after marriage.

Being centrally located means hs friends always come to you, and are stopping by.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 8:11 pm
where in Meah Shearim is it? On the main street with the stores, or in back?

foreverforward

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 8:13 pm
amother Amber wrote:
where in Meah Shearim is it? On the main street with the stores, or in back?

I think in back

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 8:15 pm
amother Olive wrote:
Meah shearim and proximity to kosel are amazing not comparable experiences. This is something the girls cannot replicate even if they move to ey after marriage.

Being centrally located means hs friends always come to you, and are stopping by.

Is it super intense because it is located there?

amother
Navyblue

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 8:15 pm
On Chayei Odom St. Right off Geula. I know nothing about E"Y streets, just parroting what I heard DD say.

foreverforward

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 8:18 pm
I don't mean to derail the thread but it seems like OP already got her answer...
If you look at threads a few years ago, most people posted with their username. Threads in the past year or 2 consist of mainly anon amothers. One question, is there any reason why I should be posting anon on such a thread?? If I'm not mistaken, it is an extra step to click post anon...

amother
Navyblue

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 8:19 pm
amother OP wrote:

It's super intense because of the girls. I doubt the location would change the intensity if it moved elsewhere. Nishmas is in the thick of Geula and from what I hear from relatives visiting E"Y and from my SIL that works in a seminary, you don't hear the Nishmas girls shrieking when they meet friends in the street. DD loves to party so we'll see.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 8:19 pm
amother OP wrote:

It doesn't seem to make things intense. It's not in any way "meah shearim" ish. It's where they found a building.

From the way the girls talk it's more of a nonstop "chavaya" to be there.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info