Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Nursery teachers...
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 12:10 am
Is a nursery child supposed to be knowing how to do a&c with the teacher only explaining once?
The teacher called to tell me that my daughter has a little of a hard time with a&c. I also know she's a perfectionist so I can see why she constantly wants the teachers help.
But otherwise she's bright and keeps up.
Was wondering if its something concerning.

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 12:11 am
Arts and crafts?

Adult led art is not really age appropriate anyway. The kids should do their own thing within reason and have fun.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 12:13 am
She said it shows lack of following directions, but only in this area.

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 12:15 am
It doesn't sound concerning to me.

Shopmiami49

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 7:05 am
I would not be concerned. Art should be self expressive and not teacher led. If I were a small child and was expected to complete something the way the teacher did, I would feel very stressed and constantly want reassurance that I was doing it properly. They also don't have the physical capability to do that kind of thing as many muscles are still developing.

However, I would ask her what she means by your daughter having a hard time following directions. Does she mean following multistep directions? Because that's different and has nothing to do with art, but it's also something you would see in other area throughout the day.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 8:16 am
Shopmiami49 wrote:
I would not be concerned. Art should be self expressive and not teacher led. If I were a small child and was expected to complete something the way the teacher did, I would feel very stressed and constantly want reassurance that I was doing it properly. They also don't have the physical capability to do that kind of thing as many muscles are still developing.

However, I would ask her what she means by your daughter having a hard time following directions. Does she mean following multistep directions? Because that's different and has nothing to do with art, but it's also something you would see in other area throughout the day.

So she did say that its only by arts n crafts, but was concerned as to why she felt like she had to reach out to me for that.
I can I can buy my own little a&c kits and see how she performs.

Java

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 9:44 am
It sounds like the morah's making a big deal out of nothing.
Nursery is tiny. Lots of kids that age aren't even in school yet, so the ones who are have much higher expectations placed on them.
Give it a year or two

scintilla

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 9:50 am
Yeah, if it's only by arts and crafts that doesn't say much at all. The only concern I would have is if she's missing skills in any of the following areas (you can easily check yourself) and perhaps that's what the morah means, is she new by any chance? Anyways here's the list that comes to mind:
- fine motor skills
- following directions
- thought there would be more but honestly can only think of that

Without knowing more it is a bit odd that the morah called you just for that, is it a very perfectionist kind of school? Sometimes a little kid is perfectly capable of following instructions and just doesn't want to because they have their own idea of how the craft should look, and that's very healthy actually.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 9:53 am
scintilla wrote:
Yeah, if it's only by arts and crafts that doesn't say much at all. The only concern I would have is if she's missing skills in any of the following areas (you can easily check yourself) and perhaps that's what the morah means, is she new by any chance? Anyways here's the list that comes to mind:
- fine motor skills
- following directions
- thought there would be more but honestly can only think of that

Without knowing more it is a bit odd that the morah called you just for that, is it a very perfectionist kind of school? Sometimes a little kid is perfectly capable of following instructions and just doesn't want to because they have their own idea of how the craft should look, and that's very healthy actually.

She doesn't have issues in other areas.
She just said that she doesn't even try doing it, just asks for help, not even creating her own.
I guess Ill wait it out and see.
(She is a Sept kid though)

amother
Grape

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 12:15 pm
Don’t worry about it.

scintilla

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 12:16 pm
amother OP wrote:
She doesn't have issues in other areas.
She just said that she doesn't even try doing it, just asks for help, not even creating her own.
I guess Ill wait it out and see.
(She is a Sept kid though)

Yeah, I wouldn't worry. If I had to guess I would wonder if they're putting a lot of emphasis on doing it the right way & so she's waiting for help bc she doesn't want to get it wrong, but that's 100% conjecture on my part. Point is she sounds totally fine! Especially for a September kid!

amother
Ballota

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 12:17 pm
I'd only be worried if she's the only one in the class that has this issue. It means that she's not on par with the rest of the class when it comes to certain skills.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 12:19 pm
scintilla wrote:
Yeah, I wouldn't worry. If I had to guess I would wonder if they're putting a lot of emphasis on doing it the right way & so she's waiting for help bc she doesn't want to get it wrong, but that's 100% conjecture on my part. Point is she sounds totally fine! Especially for a September kid!

Makes sense

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 12:20 pm
amother Ballota wrote:
I'd only be worried if she's the only one in the class that has this issue. It means that she's not on par with the rest of the class when it comes to certain skills.

She said most kids at this point can do it. But there are some still that cannot.

amother
Ballota

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 12:21 pm
amother OP wrote:
She said most kids at this point can do it. But there are some still that cannot.

I'd give it a bit more time and observation, but wouldn't completely ignore the issue.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 12:31 pm
I worked as a preschool teacher and I'm now a speech therapist and I deal with a lot of processing disorders.

IMO this does not sound concerning at all.

Some preschool teachers (especially old school ones) take their arts and crafts way too seriously. The ability to complete a project is not necessarily a good assessment of one's ability to follow directions.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 12:32 pm
Thanks, would love for nursery teachers to give opinions too!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 12:34 pm
amother Gold wrote:
I worked as a preschool teacher and I'm now a speech therapist and I deal with a lot of processing disorders.

IMO this does not sound concerning at all.

Some preschool teachers (especially old school ones) take their arts and crafts way too seriously. The ability to complete a project is not necessarily a good assessment of one's ability to follow directions.

Thanks for chiming in!

sbil

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 12:45 pm
Is she referring to a&c or following multi step directions?

amother
Crocus

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 1:02 pm
amother Ballota wrote:
I'd give it a bit more time and observation, but wouldn't completely ignore the issue.

This! I'm a playgroup morah. I'm wondering why she felt the need to speak to you about it.
if she did, it means that most kids in the class can follow the instructions she gives and she stands out from the group.
Morahs can panick unnecessarily but often they can compare behaviors with a big group of children that are the same age!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics